Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel 3165 randomly disconnecting from WiFi

ZPick
Beginner

I have a Dell Inspiron 7353 (BIOS 1.20.0) with a Intel 3165 WiFi adapter (Driver version 19.51.14.1). For the past 6 months I've been experiencing random disconnects on a very regular basis (every 5 to 30 minutes). As a student, this is quite an annoyance as everything is done online nowadays. I've done many hours of research on trying to figure out how to fix a problem like this, but no matter what I try, the random disconnects keep happening! I have a great knowledge when it comes to tech so going into the Registry doesn't scare me.

Here is what I've tried:

• Network adapter troubleshooter
  • Network reset in the Windows Settings app
  • Uninstall the driver from Device manager, Control Panel, and Registry
  • Try Dell and Intel drivers
  • Analyze WLAN report
  • Analyze Wireshark

So far, my only fix for the problem is using a USB Ethernet adapter. What I've noticed when the disconnects happen is that the Network icon on the taskbar either shows the yellow triangle or the adapter resetting itself. I've made sure my router is not the issue as all my other devices work fine.

Router: Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Firmware: DD-WRT Kong

802.11 ac: Obviously yes

Speeds: 300 Mbps

At this point, I am reaching out to Intel as calling Dell would be a waste of time. I would prefer to PM any files needed because I don't want to post files with my public IP. Any help would be fantastic! Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Download and run this utility, and attach the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

Then, one of the Intel support engineers can assist you.

Doc

0 Kudos
ZPick
Beginner

Here is the file you were looking for

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lamberguinni,

Thank you for contacting us; it will be more than a pleasure to help you.

In order to assist you, please go ahead and uninstall all the current drivers (even if you already have the latest ones) and install them again by following the instructions on this link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Here is the link for the latest drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27989/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?v=t

As well you may want to try our Recommend advanced settings available at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

If none of these steps work, please go ahead and start your PC in safe mode (with Networking) following these instructions and then monitor the results:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

As well, please access your router and make sure that you do not have any QoS (quality of service) active on it.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
ZPick
Beginner

As per your request, I have followed the instructions for uninstalling the driver and installing the one that you linked in your post. I made sure that I have the recommended settings supplied from Intel and also confirmed that QoS is disabled on my router. I will take a few days and monitor the connection. So far, one observation that I have made is that I my speeds are less than half of what I subscribe for internet (300 Mbps). Obviously, distance and interference are key contributors. I will get back to you as soon as I finish monitoring the adapter.

Thanks for the support,

Lamberguinni

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lamberguinni,

Thank you for your response.

I understand, please monitor the results and let us know the outcome.

I will keep an eye on your thread.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
ZPick
Beginner

Hi Diego,

So far, things seem to be okay. I have been searching the web for say an hour with no disconnection problems yet.

I have also ran a few speed tests today to see how my performance is going.

As far as I can tell, my download speeds are great--hitting between 180 and 250 Mbps.

The problem is my upload speeds. For each of the tests, they have been the same: 2 Mbps.

Like I stated in my original post, the speeds I subscribe to are 300 down, 25 up. Clearly, there must be a problem.

In the first sentence I said that I have had no disconnection problems yet. One happen while writing this reply, which took me about 10 minutes to do.

Thanks,

Lamberguinni

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lamberguinni,

Please help us to confirm the following:

Have you experienced the same issues when your computer is connected to a different network?

Are the any other computers on your network experiencing the same behavior?

Is the issue occurring on 2.4 or 5 GHz, or both?

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
ZPick
Beginner

Hi Diego,

To answer your questions:

-My computer sometimes has trouble automatically connecting but does not experience any problems on my school network.

-No other computers on my network experience these problems.

-This issue is happening on both 2.4 and 5 GHz

Thanks,

Lamberguinni

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lamberguinni,

Lets try to isolate the issue by rolling back your wireless drivers to the latest version released by your OEM (DELL*) Version 17.1.1529.1620.

Please uninstall your current driver and give a try to this one:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=K1TR4

I hope this helps, please let us know the outcome.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
ZPick
Beginner

I am a bit confused and just wanted to make sure that I am reading your response correctly.

To isolate the issue, you want me to follow these steps:

1. Uninstall the currently installed Intel wireless drivers (following the same instructions you gave me from that other post)
  2. Download and install the original initial release wireless driver for my system from Dell (following the same instructions you gave me from that other post)
  3. Download and install the most up to date wireless driver for my system, once again from Dell

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Lamberguinni

0 Kudos
ZPick
Beginner

Just wanted to make sure if what I said was correct.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lamberguinni,

In this case you need to uninstall your current drivers, and then install the most up to date wireless driver from your OEM: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=K1TR4 https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=K1TR4

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
ZPick
Beginner

Just installed the OEM drivers. I will report back to you if disconnection occurs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lamberguinni,

I understand, I will keep an eye on your account.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
ZPick
Beginner

Hi Diego,

I wanted to update you on the issue. Since I have installed the OEM drivers, I have experienced 3 disconnects, 2 of which the network adapter actually reset ITSELF.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thank you,

Lamberguinni

0 Kudos
ZPick
Beginner

What are the next steps I should take to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lamberguinni,

Thank you for your patience.

Let us investigate further into this; I'll post you back as soon as I have news.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
ZPick
Beginner

Thank you. Also wanted to let you know that I have unchecked the option that says:

"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Hope this helps!

-Lamberguinni

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lamberguinni,

In this case, based on the description of your issue, we suspect that your router somehow might be the culprit of the issue, considering that the issue could not be replicated on your school network.

Can you reboot the router and perhaps change to a different channel in it?

As well we noticed that there is a new update (1.0.9.34.)for your router, can you give it a try?

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
ZPick
Beginner

Hi Diego,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have actually been experiencing some problems with disconnect at school. Rather than the wireless icon changing to a yellow triangle or red X, it shows that it is connected. What happens is that there are times when webpages take forever to load or even timeout. It ends up being a WiFi issue so I have to turn off and on my adapter ten everything is back working again... until it happens again of course.

I want to reassure you that it NOT a router issue as all of my other wireless devices at home and my phone at school work fine with no problems. There are even numerous posts of this same issue happening to many others so I am definitely not the only person experiencing these issues. I do not want to have to replace my adapter or my laptop just to fix this problem. There must be some way to solve this permanently other than using an Ethernet adapter.

Thank you,

Lamberguinni

0 Kudos