Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel 8265 40Mhz Channel Width

FDhar1
Beginner

Hi guys,

I hope you can help me understand the behavior of the 8265 wireless card.

Recently I was testing my wireless configuration. The previous config was only using 20MHz per AP. I wanted to change the channel width to 40MHz on my 11ac. On my WLC I set my AP to 40MHz. The AP summary seemed to be correct since the APs showed channel bonding. The frequency showed on my Acrylic WiFi Home seemed to be correct too, the AP bonds 2 channels.

I tested the 40MHz channel width with 3 laptops, 1 Thinkpad T480S and 2 Thinkpad T470S. Both T480S and T470S are using Intel 8265, with T470S running on 20.10.0.6 and T480S running on 20.10.2.2. Only 1 T470S is able to 'read' the 40MHz, while the other 2 still 'read' the 20MHz. I know this by speed indicated on WiFi Status. Any idea why? All settings are the same. The only setting I could think of to impact this is Fat Channel Intolerance, which is I already disabled.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi fdharmawan,

We understand that you're having an issue with multiple Lenovo* Thinkpad laptops that use our Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 adapter and you're noticing that the channel width reported is 20 MHz when you set it up for 40 MHz on your AP, we'll be glad to assist. As a quick reminder, remember that the channel width is set or determined by the router or AP. The adapter usually takes the configuration that the AP sends to it in the network. This might include a different channel width depending on the signal strength of the network or the negotiation of the router.

Here are some recommendations we can provide so you can test to see if the adapters report the correct information:

a) Check the following guide and match the adapter settings: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

b) You can also try loading the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/94150/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8265 latest driver for this adapter in your OS and test to see how it reports.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,

Leonardo L.
0 Kudos
FDhar1
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

Thank you for the response. I already set my AP to 40MHz. In fact, 1 out of 3 laptops was able to utilize my setting at 40MHz. I wonder why the other 2 were not able to. The signal strength was very good, it was around -50dBm.

I will try to update to the latest. Will post the update here later.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi fdharmawan,

Thanks for the clarification, sure, feel free to test the latest driver and let us know how they behave, we'll be looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Leonardo L.
0 Kudos
FDhar1
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

I just wrapped up my testing with 2 T470S and 1 T440S, since I no longer have access to T480S mentioned before. I upgraded my T470S driver from 20.10.0.6 to 20.50.1.1. Still no difference on the outcome. On the other hand, my T440S with Intel 7260 and the driver version was 18.33.3.2 able to utilize the 40MHz. My T470S scored only 80Mbps while my Y440S scored over 200Mbps, both on 40MHz channel with exact environment (tested side by side, connected to the same AP).

I did not alter any of the driver setting, but I checked at a glance, the settings are aligned with the best practice setting on the link you posted.

Any idea why?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi fdharmawan,

Thanks for the update, we apologize the issue persists, in this case so we can check further, send us a copy of the file generated by the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility and we'll analyze this on our end to check what could be going on.

Additionally just to verify with you, which tool or site are you using to verify the download speed or bandwidth from the adapter?

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Leonardo L
0 Kudos
FDhar1
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

I sent you the output via message, since I did not find attach file option.

I used iPerf to test the performance.

Regards,

Farisi Dharmawan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Farisi,

You can use the attach option on the bottom of the reply window to attach files, what happens is that the mailing address you replied to is a general address and we don't receive those emails.

Regards,

Leonardo
0 Kudos
FDhar1
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

Sorry I only looked into the upper toolbar. Here ini is the file I mentioned yesterday. Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Farisi,

Thanks for the file, I do see that you're now running driver version 20.50.1.1, unfortunately for some reason the log file is not displaying the transmit and receive rate that the card is receiving. You can get more information related to this using the following command in the command prompt:

netsh wlan show int

Try running this command so we can check how much is the card receiving.

Regards,

Leonardo
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Farisi,

We haven't received any updates for a while. Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos