Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AC7260 limited access after sleep

MZ4
Novice

Hello,

I have Intel AC7260 and there is a problem: after every wake from sleep mode i have limited access and no connection to the Internet. I can't ping router and any device in the network... Sometimes helps to reconnect but most often I need to reboot :/ Can someone help me please?

431 Replies
SMons2
New Contributor I

Just installed 17.0.6.1 on my AC7260 (installed in a NUC D54250).

Easily the most usable / stable driver to date. I am still experiencing some throughput variances (pinging my router), with pings ranging from 1ms to a good 250ms. Though a LOT better than previous drivers. I can also confirm the issue waking from sleep has been rectified.

Not happy it's taken a good year to fix this. Happy though that Intel got there (more or less) in the end.

0 Kudos
BHere
Beginner

I have bought the AC7260 for replacing the ac6235 in my Samsung series 9, because performance was terrible with the ac6235.

I have installed every driver since months. This version the sleep problem seems fixed (still have to see what it does when i put the laptop to sleep and it wakes up on another network)

But performance is bad.. U-ASPD activated, VHT Modus.

I'm really disappointed how my Intel WiFi cards perform in windows 8.1 till now. i'm already looking to replace the WiFi card with a non Intel solution although i probably miss the WiDi screen mirroring.

0 Kudos
MNich3
Novice

This morning I couldn't connect to my work network (WPA2 AES Enterprise) without an adapter refresh.

littlebo - any update on your end?

0 Kudos
SBo1
Novice

Im all day long on crappy dlink N router , so far so good . im gonna visit few places with public free wifi and test it there , will respond how it goes . btw , i on win7 x64.

0 Kudos
SBo1
Novice

Ok , tried sleep modes with ssids migrations - works fine , after wake up it connects to saved routers much faster then my old laptop. so far i see no problem for my setup with latest driver posted here. asus n550 , 7260 card , win7 x64

0 Kudos
SMons2
New Contributor I

So I'm noticing some SERIOUS throughput variances...

I've put my machine to sleep and woken it up multiple times; no issues on that front. But I'm having epic speed variances at random intervals. It will sometimes have serious issues loading up the Gmail log-in page, and other times doesn't even break a sweat.

Windows doesn't see an issue with internet connectivity. Command Prompt and pinging my router I'm seeing pings of 1ms all the way to 3500ms. Completely random intervals.

Yeah. As above, I'm more than happy to provide additional details if required; please PM with instructions as required.

0 Kudos
CDurs
Novice

Unfortunately I have to agree to this.

Connecting after sleep is better, but NOT entirely fixed. It occurs seldom, but every now and then (on the same network).

I'm experiencing "Limited access" issues though every now and then especially after wakeup. Sometimes I can't load sites at all. I need to enable and disable Airplane mode to get rid of it then.

0 Kudos
SMoss
Novice

I am also seeing the same speed variation issues with driver 17.0.6.1. (Brand new Dell Precision M3800).

I disabled U-APSD and saw speeds go up to 24Mbps (similar to 4 other devices connected to this AP) as compared to 8Mbps when enabled. I thought issue was fixed, but still seeing huge variances in speed test.

I don't see the "Limited Connection" any more with 17.0.6.1, but still see 'not connected to network' occasionally in the browser.

0 Kudos
MNich3
Novice

I can verify the problem is occurring again when connecting to the same SSID after sleep. I received the "attempting to authenticate" error in the "change adapter settings" of network and sharing center in Windows 7 x64.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Windows 7 users: I've been using 16.10.0 for several weeks now without any reconnect-after-sleep problems. I don't use the ProSet software, just the Administrator's set of drivers. That's the Ds64.zip version of the driver.

Without ProSet, there is no U-APSD setting in properties to mess with. Seems to work fine. I have a dual band modem with each band having a separate SSID, and when waking it will sometimes switch to the one that was not connected prior to sleep, but it reconnects right away when I click the original and "Connect". Either way, though, there is a connection already on by the time I get to desktop.

This is on a ThinkPad T440p with an Intel part and a fresh install of Win 7 Pro 64. There are no Lenovo utilities involved other than the Power Manager which I use to set battery charging thresholds. I use Intel's Rapid Start Tech and set it to deep sleep immediately when I close the lid.

Delete ProSet software from Control Panel. Delete the adapter AND the driver in Device Manager. Add back the device and point to the unzipped driver folder wherever you have it and let it use 16.10.

See what happens...

MNich3
Novice

Gatto,

Thank you!

ProSet was already uninstalled in favor of the last Windows 7 driver linked by Kevin. This driver did have U-APSD (without ProSet.) I uninstalled and chose to "Delete Driver Software."

I grabbed the 16.10.0 Ds64.zip driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23628 Here and installed using Device Manager. Rebooted. Device Manager reports version 16.10.0.5 installed. No U-APSD option as mentioned.

Let's see how this goes!

0 Kudos
LYang24
Novice

I have uninstalled Intel ProSet with driver 17.0.5 from Winodws 7. Now Windows 7 uses driver version 16.8.0.6 automatically. It doesn't seem to have reconnect-after-sleep problems anymore.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

louis925 wrote:

I have uninstalled Intel ProSet with driver 17.0.5 from Winodws 7. Now Windows 7 uses driver version 16.8.0.6 automatically. It doesn't seem to have reconnect-after-sleep problems anymore.

I was going to try that one next if 16.10 didn't work.

v16 bare drivers, no ProSet seem to be the ticket for this issue.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please let me know if disabling Fast Startup helps, it is possible that Windows* has some difficulty loading the driver after sleep.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-or-enable-fast-startup-in-windows-8-1/ How to disable or enable Fast Startup in Windows 8.1 | Winaero

I also wonder if you get a better behavior by using the driver-only installation, without Intel® PROSet Software.

0 Kudos
JSmyt1
Novice

has anyone else had any luck getting around the code 10 issue ? i stil get it with 17.0.6.1 and have tried 16.10 and nothing changes. the card is working under ubuntu V14 ok.

0 Kudos
SMoss
Novice

No improvement with Fast Startup disabled. In fact, I cannot access the AP at all this morning after repeated reboots etc.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Download the Administrator's set of drivers for version 16.10 or 16.8. Delete ProSet software. Delete the adapter from Device Manager, including the driver. Add it back with the v16 driver.

I installed v 16.10.0 Admin Set, while Device Manager reports the driver version as 16.6.0.8. This is on Win 7 64. Here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23628 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23628

This is working for me. I should also add that my router is AC. If you have an older router/modem that isn't AC, you still might have issues, as is widely reported. Getting an AC two-band router may be the next best thing overall to do. I got my 7260AC card working with the v16 driver even before I got the AC router. With the new router, it's just way, way faster. I have a TP-Link Archer D7. Love it. I am not sure, however, that it's available in the States. Last I looked on the US version of their site, it said "Coming soon". I live in Europe where it's already on the market.

Whatever the router is, make sure it's set to WPA2-PSK with AES. Enable WMM there and in the adapter properties, too. Also in the adapter properties, set it to VHT.

I also have set the router to use Channel 1 on the 2GHz channel. This appears to have fixed interference from Bluetooth. Before I set the channel, Bluetooth used to knock the wireless connection off.

It's crazy and unfortunate to have to finesse this thing like this, but it's what we've got. The string of drivers that have been released since the 16's aren't really helping.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In order to avoid interference of Bluetooth and WiFi, the best option might be to switch away from the 2.4 GHz band and switch to the 5 GHz band. Doing so obviously depends on the 5 GHz signal being strong enough to deliver where you need it.

In order to exert control over this, I actually configured my (ac) access point to have different SSIDs for the two different frequency bands, configured Windows to first look at the 5 GHz band, and configured the Intel driver to prefer the 5 GHz band over anything else.

Generally speaking, I do not believe in voodoo - wake-up performance (from any power-saving state) should not depend on driver version (except if there was some regression). There is, from my point of view, some very nasty, timing-sensitive interaction going somewhere. And this is somewhere in the driver, and somehow (for me) reinitializing the driver (disable -> enable) fixes the problem completely. Toggling airplane mode / WiFi state does not help, it is that deep somewhere in the kernel driver.

For the record, I am operating in a comparatively clean WiFi environment - not being spammed with bazillions of networks, and barely any overlap (and most definitely not on the 5 GHz band, according to WiFi analysis using my Android mobile phone).

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

daffy99 wrote:

In order to avoid interference of Bluetooth and WiFi, the best option might be to switch away from the 2.4 GHz band and switch to the 5 GHz band. Doing so obviously depends on the 5 GHz signal being strong enough to deliver where you need it.

It isn't, that's why I chose a channel.

In order to exert control over this, I actually configured my (ac) access point to have different SSIDs for the two different frequency bands

So did I. So I pick a band depending on where I am in the (cut stone-signal blocking) house.

Generally speaking, I do not believe in voodoo - wake-up performance (from any power-saving state) should not depend on driver version (except if there was some regression). There is, from my point of view, some very nasty, timing-sensitive interaction going somewhere. And this is somewhere in the driver, and somehow (for me) reinitializing the driver (disable -> enable) fixes the problem completely.

Neither do I. But there are very real performance differences amongst these various drivers, which happen to be distinguished by, surprise, their version numbers. It ain't the number that matters, it's what's under the hood. And something is very definitely funky with the later ones.

If you care to have to open DM every time to enable/disable, while sticking with the 17's, feel free. Doing so will get the card turned back on. But with the 16s, the card is on and connected by the time I see a desktop. I get 300 on band 2 and 866 on band 5 (when I'm in the presence of the router), and it's always on.

0 Kudos
SMoss
Novice

Just installed the v17.1.0.19 driver dated 7/21/2014 with the 7260 AC on a Dell M3800. U-APSD Disabled. Now on resume from sleep, the card has been shut down with Code 43. Disable/Enable only brings the card back with Limited Connectivity. Have to do a full re-boot to bring the Wifi back again. This release is a complete retrograde from the previous driver, which did not fix anything with the 7260. What are you guys doing?

0 Kudos
SMoss
Novice

Still running v17.1.0.19. Had two days of good connections from sleep on different APs, but it will only establish a g connection. Then tonight it would not connect to the home AP without a re-boot. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos