Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7444 Discussions

Intel AC7260 limited access after sleep

MZ4
Novice

Hello,

I have Intel AC7260 and there is a problem: after every wake from sleep mode i have limited access and no connection to the Internet. I can't ping router and any device in the network... Sometimes helps to reconnect but most often I need to reboot :/ Can someone help me please?

431 Replies
idata
Employee

I have 100% failure of AC7260 resume from sleep on a new Dell XPS 15 connecting to Ubiquiti WiFi n (not ac)

Where did you get these drivers, as Dell still only list 9530_Network_Driver_750M7_WN_17.0.2.5_A04.EXE as the latest on their website.

0 Kudos
SHaig
Novice

Nope - I don't know what the difference is between the WinB and Win8 folders. That is how the OEM packaged them. I'd suggest extracting the driver, then just pointing Windows to the base directory that is extracted and let it choose the driver.

0 Kudos
CMcCo6
Beginner

Hi this is my first post here but I have a Dell Latitude E6400 that I upgraded the wireless card to the intel 7260ac and I hava an Asus RT-AC68R wireless router and I have this same issue of not reconnecting after sleep and very poor performance I was using the driver only form here since my card was not factory installed the driver version that automatically installed when I first installed Windows Preview was version 17.1.0.9 I have tried all of the different version from the intel drivers and had the same issue with each one, I installed the version you provided the link to and now my wireless card is performing better and faster then it did with any of the other drivers that I tried and seem to have fixed the sleep problem also. Intel needs to just provide this version for the customers that bought their cards and installed them as aftermarket cards because this one works. thanks CRCinAU for providing this

0 Kudos
RWidm1
Beginner

This is my first post and I have the Intel-N 7260 card in my Lenovo Flex 15 (Win 8.1 64 bit, 8 GB RAM, i5-4200U). A little horrified to see all the time and energy on this issue with no apparent resolution.

We are using version 17.1.0.19 of the Intel driver and no joy...resume from sleep causes a frustrating intermittency of WiFi.

Intel, is this a recall issue? It sure seems like it if after so much time and so many iterations of the driver, the problem persists. I am guessing this is a hardware flaw that Intel is unable or unwilling to timely solved with software fixes.

0 Kudos
DFeng1
Beginner

I have a very similar problem on my XPS 12 with the 7260 adapter.

It looks like it has something to do with Intel Rapid Start sleep mode. Each time it goes into this mode, I have no connection when the computer is woken up. It does scan and see the networks, but won't reconnect.

After disabling Rapid Start in the BIOS, and using Windows 8 hibernate, I have not encountered the issue.

The tradeoff is that it takes longer to wake up....

I'm curious to see how many other people have the same issue with Rapid Start enabled.

0 Kudos
DKimb
Novice

My laptop (see previous post) is working fine with Rapid Start. Rapid Start is very similar to ACPI sleep mode (S3) but is optimized for SSD's. Hibernate does not sleep the same way so you are never actually running the code that causes this issue. I'm pretty sure if you disable Rapid Start but still enable Sleep or Hybrid Sleep in the advanced settings section of your power plan you will see this same issue.

0 Kudos
KSten
Beginner

I installed the latest version 17.1.0.19. ("Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is disabled)

After standby of my laptop I get in Device Manager at Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 the "code 43". Deactivate and activate the WLAN module fixes the problem temporarily.

I have now switched back to version 17.0.5.8, it works without problems.

Intel, please repair the drivers disaster. Thanks.

Clevo W370ST

Win 8.1 x64 Pro

0 Kudos
BW_
Beginner

HP ENVY dv6t-7300 CTO Quad Edition Notebook PC Win8.1 also working so long as you enable the power management option with 17.12.0.4 driver.

Disabling power management causes it to not come out of sleep.

0 Kudos
CPenn1
Beginner

I have a NUC (D34010WYKH) with a 7260 AC (w/ BT) card w/ Win 7 and I was running fine on 16.x (not sure which version) and after upgrading to 17.0.6 I had this issue (no wifi after wake from sleep). Upgraded to 17.1 and still had the issue (tried turning U-APSD off). The wifi sys tray icon was buggy as well (sometimes it would show not connectivity even though things were fine) despite a second uninstall/reinstall. Win 7 was fully patched and I was using all the latest NUC drivers.

After uninstalling the Intel Wireless drivers, rebooting, and then installing 16.10 (the IT version) I was back to good. The wireless performance was even a bit better with 16.10 vs 17.x though I've not been very impressed with the NUC antennas.

0 Kudos
SMons2
New Contributor I

Currently on 17.0.6 and my connection is fine (with respect to waking from sleep; just enabled the 'Allow the computer to turn this device off' option in the device settings).

The issue I'm having with 17.0.6, and all the other drivers released after that, is serious throughput (speed) variances. In all cases I cannot get over 20Mbps, and this being a work machine with video conference streaming, it buffers far too many times even at 720p video calls.

Might try 16.10 as mentioned above and see how that fares but I'm not holding my breath (Intel, it's been over a year for the 7k cards, and longer than that for the 6k variants; what's the latest update?)

0 Kudos
MS11
Novice

Going to toss my hat in the ring here.

Just picked up a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 with an Intel Wireless 7260 AC and have experienced nothing but problems with it.

Info:

System: Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130

Wireless Band: AC and N

Access Points: Asus RT-AC66U (latest firmware) and Cisco AIR 3602I (7.6.130.0)

Issues Experienced:

Inconsistent connectivity to network over Wireless N and AC.

Connection dropouts while using and unable to re-connect. (Issues definitely are worse at less than 4 bars, though greater than 2)

Issues returning from sleep.

Troubleshooting done:

Drivers Tried:

Dell Supplied 16.8, 17.0.0.34, 17.0.5.8

Intel Downloaded: 17.0.6, 17.1.0

Downloaded from Station Drivers: 17.12.0.4, 17.12.0.5

Attempted to enable/disable HT/VHT

Enabled/Disabled Power saving

Enabled/Disabled u-APSD

Tried 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands

WOL enabled/disabled

WoPM enabled/disabled

Currently:

Running 17.12.0.5

Power saving enabled (aka "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power") **

** This appeared to work with 17.12.0.4 as well. I did not try it with any prior versions as this is what I was running when I saw the suggestion. I may try this on 17.1.0 at some point, but currently I'm just thrilled that there is some semblance of stability...

I got the suggestion to enable the "turn off this device to save power" setting from earlier in this thread. As others have mentioned that is usually what I disable first as it is almost always the cause of problems, not the solution

Things appear to be relatively stable at this time on Wireless N, but I am not hopeful. I am at work and wont be able to test the Wireless AC stability until I get home.

JDeVo
Beginner

I had disabled the "Power Saving" option too figuring it would cause me issues like dropped connections if I was idle for too long....

so I tried enabling that feature via Device Manager.... and tried a Sleep session while I relocated to a spot at the lib with an outlet...

when i woke up my Laptop and the wifi card was still working worked!!!!!! lol ;D go figure... ooooh Intel PLEASE WRITE BETTER DRIVERS ;;^_^;;

"Downloaded from Station Drivers: 17.12.0.4, 17.12.0.5"

those are huge packs at aprox. 170MB... I just want the drivers...

Specs:

old 2008 Toshiba Satellite L305-S5894

I upgraded the laptop a bit like from 3GB to 4GB of RAM so I could install Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

and replaced the old 54g Atheros wifi Adapter with a freebie old Intel WiFi card (4965AGN) and eventually with this newer card the AC7260.....

ps msg to Intel (might qualify as a hijacking but):

I have issues I can't seem to get a connection to Comcast's Xfinity Hotspots anymore... I did with the older adapters maybe with with this one

some time it shows the extra login prompt but when it opens Firefox it shows only a blank page.....

0 Kudos
MS11
Novice

Melchior - The drivers are large, yes, but fortunately it is just a self-compressed 7zip file, when you unzip it, dont run the setup program in it, just point your Device Manager at the driver in the Win7 folder (yes, it says Win7 but it works in Win8 as well).

Dilburt, appreciate the response as well, all of my settings are default with power management turned on at this time, things are looking promising, didnt even drop out on AC at home either, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
LLind4
Beginner

The driver package is large because there are two win8 directories. But, install it. It seems to have fixed the sleep/wake issue on my Dell XPS 15 9530. I am sure Dell will have these drivers out sometime in the new year, so all thanks to the poster here who made those drivers available.

In hindsight, I made two mistakes. The first one was buying a computer with this hunk of junk card in it. The second was installing the latest drivers from the Intel website in an effort to address the constant connection issues. It connects fine at home and at work but at the airport, at coffee shops, etc. it won't connect when my phone (Nexus 5) will.

17.12.0.4 seems to have addressed the sleep/wake issue. I will post back to let you know if it addressed the wifi issue.

0 Kudos
DKimb
Novice

Hi Beradon,

If your current configuration doesn't keep working for you, stick with the 17.12.0.4 but reset the driver dialog back to the defaults making sure the U-APSD and power saving are both enabled. This version and configuration is providing the best results for most people. I've been running on it for almost 2 weeks now without a connectivity or wake-up issue.

D

MS11
Novice

Well the wake/sleep issue is cleared up still it seems on 17.12.0,5, however I had a connection drop today while on Wireless AC at home. I'll try switching back to 17.12.0.4 but I'm not sure a minor revision will make a difference in that.

I'm just so disappointed in this card, especially that it is in my brand new Dell Venue 11 Pro, which is not a cheap device.

EDIT:

17.12.0.4 didnt help either, if anything it was worse. I'm on 17.1.0 now, again, which I hadnt spent much time on because of the sleep problem, but now that we know the power management checkbox needs to remain enabled to rectify that issue, I'll try these to see if it stabilizes my AC connection.

0 Kudos
MS11
Novice

Going to build a bit on my last post.

So it seems I've had a bit of success in all of this.

I finally reverted back to the 17.1.0 official drivers from Intel's website (17.12.0.4 and 5 did not remain stable when connected), left the checkbox checked in the device manager, and made it so Windows manages my wireless connection rather than the Intel application (so I'm running the drivers barebone without the Intel PROSet/Wireless Manager) and I'm consistently having solid connections with no dropouts and no problems waking from sleep.

I have done one thing additional, however. I added a new Access Point to my home network in the form of a Netgear R6300v2 which at most times I'm using my device (Dell Venue 11 Pro) with the AC7260 in it, I'm less than 10 feet from that AP so the signal is perfect.

A side note however, when bringing my device into the office with the previously mentioned Cisco Access point (Cisco AIR 3602I) that caused problems in the past, I'm no longer experiencing dropouts here either.

I dont know if I hit some critical mass/perfect storm in installs/uninstalls and application removals or just got lucky, but for now, I'm stable. I just wont breathe on it so it stays this way.

0 Kudos
RWidm1
Beginner

Beradon wrote:

I finally reverted back to the 17.1.0 official drivers from Intel's website (17.12.0.4 and 5 did not remain stable when connected), left the checkbox checked in the device manager, and made it so Windows manages my wireless connection rather than the Intel application (so I'm running the drivers barebone without the Intel PROSet/Wireless Manager) and I'm consistently having solid connections with no dropouts and no problems waking from sleep.

Which checkbox did you leave checked? Are there any more digits in that stable driver release that you are using... like 17.1.0.xx? Thanks for the info.

Many folks are not in the first 10 feet of their AP who are experienving issues, so your AP placement would haveba dramatic effect on throughput. I wonder if you 5Ghz band is being used or primarily 2.4 Ghz.

0 Kudos
MS11
Novice

Apologies for the delay in response, had a busy week and never got around to checking these forums this week.

The checkbox I left checked is "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the Power Management tab of the device properties in the device manager. The one that has corrected the issue with sleep for most people when leaving it checked.

The official 17.1.0 drivers from here (not the ones including PROSet, just driver only):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24220 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24220

Unfortunately, at this time I do not have my device with me or I would tell you the additional version numbers, I'll remember to take a look at it next time I'm near it and let you know. However, I believe the version is 17.1.0.19

I can tell you for sure that at home my device is always on 5GHz at 500-650Mbps, I dont even have my 2.4GHz network configured on it. At work it is connected on the 2.4GHz band.

As for total use on my network at home, the vast majority of devices are on the 2.4GHz band. I believe this one and one other share my 5GHz band.

What I believe to be the reason it has remained stable is the lack of the PROSet software and letting Windows manage the wireless settings.

0 Kudos
Cde_G
Novice

10 Feet? Really??? Bluetooth can handle 30! (side note: I'm 6 ft. from the AP and having severe difficulty). If you run a path loss calculation on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz (card puts out up to 450mw I believe? - over 3dBi antennas) do the link budget:

0 Kudos
DTonk
Novice

Interesting. I've been suffering with constant wakeup issues on my Wireless-N 7260 adapter in my HP ZBook ever since HP thoughtfully updated the drivers... and for the first time since then, the "secret" 17.12.0.4 drivers actually seem to be working. At least, I haven't had any resume problems in a couple days, and that's a couple days longer than I've been able to go before!

0 Kudos