Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Intel AC7260 problems

NK5
Beginner

Hi there, I just excitedly bought 3 AC7260 cards for all our laptops in the house cause we upgraded our router to the RT-AC66U and let me tell you I am soooooo NOT impressed with these cards. They are horrible, I cannot keep a consistent connection with my router.

Computer # 1 is a Dell 7720 running windows 8 and all I keep getting is constant unable to access network page errors that only say on a chrome web page:

Error code: ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED

In my intel event viewer I get around 3 lines marked Information..... authenticating wireless profile XXXXX every minute!!!!!! This can't be right???

Computer # 2 is an XPS 15 running windows 7 home and I get the same problems as computer # 1 just not as many chrome ERR pages.

Computer # 3 is an Alienware M18 and it consistantly drops the wireless connection too. I had a bigfoot card in there previously and NEVER had any problems with losing wireless connections.

I'm using all the latest newest drivers on all my laptops and i just can't believe how troublesome these 7260's are. Anyone else actually have a 7260 thats rock solid and if so, how did you do it?

314 Replies
MHern9
Beginner

I did replace the card, the one before this was utter sh** (also by intel, the single band version of the 7260 and wireless N). However, I got this card because my bios has stupid whitelist enabled and this is the card they allow.

0 Kudos
TSill
Beginner

I can inform, that after reboot, my Lenovo would not accept the Qualcomm Atheros card anymore... also due to whitelist, like Indest above, I think.

HOWEVER, I remembered the Qualcomm worked fine with just the Microsoft standard driver.

So I did go to the settings for the wifi card, and removed the Intel driver, and then restarted.

BUT, then an older version of the Intel driver was present, so I also removed that, and restarted.

THEN an even older Intel driver was active, so I removed that, and restart again, I did that a total of 5 times, then ALL intel drivers was gone, and the system started up with the standard microsoft driver.

AND NOW IT WORKS.

So take time to remove all Intel drivers, and then let the system use the standard Microsoft driver, then all is perfect

0 Kudos
TSill
Beginner

IT is not as fast as the Qualcomm card, but perhaps is this because of the Intel card itself, but at least, I have now connection all over the house, without being dropped of And I can log on, whereever I want in the house So relative happy end

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
TSill
Beginner

Thanks for your advice GattoNero, however it did not work... meaning that I installed the driver, and it works, BUT, I sit now 1 meter from the access point, and there is NO obstacles between the laptop and the accesspoint.. .Despite this, the signal strength of the wifi card variates, between 5 bars, and down to 3 bars.. And the speed is around 19 Mbps...

This really is a joke, and I do not understand why Intel can live with such a problem for numberous customers for over half a year!

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Check your settings.

VHT

WMM on the adapter and the router

WPA2 AES on the router

0 Kudos
TSill
Beginner

Dear GattoNero,

Thanks for the advice! It didnt work though, but I need your advise, as I was not capable of verifying all you mentioned.

My accesspoints (3) are all set up as you said (see picture). But the "VHT" you mention, I cannot find on my card driver, it seems it might have another name in Danish.. can you give me some more clues ?

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

It's in an adapter setting called "HT Mode". Set it to VHT.

WMM is in "Ad Hoc QoS Mode".

0 Kudos
TSill
Beginner

Thank, WMM is set perfect, but I cannot choose VHT.. I can choose either "Deactivated" or "HT"

0 Kudos
TSill
Beginner

And it do not make a difference if it is HT or deactivated. But thanks for helping me

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Thomas, what driver version does Windows Device Manager report?

Do you see this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm just about ready to go through the pain of opening my laptop and throwing this piece of garbage in the trash. I've been experiencing connection drops quite frequently, recently, and I'm just tired of it and it's quite disappointing that Intel apparently is not capable of fixing this major issue. Worst WiFi card I've ever had, hands down. I'm quite disappointed in Intel for shipping such garbage, which probably hasn't been tested much at all. This thing is pretty much unusable.

BB4
New Contributor II

What have you tried? What's your setup?

0 Kudos
TSill
Beginner

Dear Gatto,

Today I got a new wifi card from Lenovo, on the suspection that it was the card,however no difference....

My card are the single channel version (not 2.4 G and 5G)

Tomorrow I will try one of Intels top cards...

However, on the driver issue:

I currently use 16.10.0.5 dated 28-01-2014.

However, I have tried about all drivers ever made, with no succes, including the standard microsoft driver!

I therefore suspect the problem relates to some kind of file, changed by Intel on a driver update, and since then reason for this. Especially since the Qualcomm did work perfect and super fast, so it cannot be related to motherboard problems.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23628 Intel® Download Center

Thomas, go back even further. Try that one.

0 Kudos
TSill
Beginner

I now updated N-7260 driver to the: 17.1.0.19 dated 21-07-2014.

It did NOT Help :-(

0 Kudos
MK22
Beginner

So I've bought this card too and unaware of the troubles. But the latest driver seems to have solved the speed coming to a halt, but there's another problem. Whenever I browse the speed is around 120 mbit and sometimes even 270. But when I stream videos over DLNA it doesn't budge above 81 mbit. So the result is severe stuttering. My old edimax did not stutter this much. Is there a way to manually set the speed to max?

0 Kudos
KPent
Beginner

Hi,

I bought a brand new Lenovo Y50-70 notebook with the AC 7260 dual band wireless adapter. Unfortunately, the wireless connection is terrible! I cannot get more than 50KB/s download on my home network and it freezes every now and then (i.e. speed is 0). I updated the drivers of the wireless device to the lates versions - 17.1.0.19. No improvement. I played around with the settings of the device, but no improvement at all was observed. My home network uses a Linksys E1200 N router, configured to b/g/n network mode on 20 MHz width only. On an older Dell XPS 15 I get up to 4MB/s on that same network. Interestingly, on my office network the 7260 behaves excellently...

Can you provide me with any help? I am already considering returning the whole thing...

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Two things to try. Since it works well on another network, think about the settings on your home router.

1. Set channel to 1 instead of "Auto".

2. Security to WPA2 AES, if it's not already. Other security settings give you 54Mbps max.

0 Kudos
KPent
Beginner

Channel is set to 6 (lowest interference from other networks). I changed security from WPA2/WPA to WPA2 Personal. No improvement... It just seems that the cards blocks and stops accepting any packages... Upload is working fine though.

0 Kudos
MBuší
Beginner

I have absolutely same problem :-/.

/message/248625# 248625 https://communities.intel.com/message/248625# 248625

0 Kudos