Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel AC9260 cannot find the 160mhz wireless signal

JGree19
Beginner

I have a netgear R7800 router and I installed the dd-wrt firmware. My PC has a intel ac9260 on it.

On the spec page of 9260 it says it supports 160mhz, but when I set the channel width of the 5Ghz wireless to VHT160, it cannot be found by the 9260, neither does VHT80. The widest width I can select for a working connection is HT40.

And in the device manager I have set the wireless channel as "auto" for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The picture below is my settings for now. I tried to change the network mode to N-only, AC/N-Mixed and AC-only but none of them worked with VHT80 or up. I am only having 400Mbps speed with this settings for now.

1.png

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee

Hello JGree19,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® Communities.

Is this an integration?

Please, fill out the following form the required information.

Amy C

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Problem details Problem description: Frequency of occurrence (once an hour, day, always): Computer power source (plugged in or battery): Steps to reproduce (provide links to forums, online help, screen shots): Attempted workaround (turn off settings, change power settings, etc.): Environment (office, school, hospital, factory, home): Client computer details Computer manufacturer(s): Computer model(s): Windows OS (provide Version number if Win10, and 32- or 64-bit): WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.): WiFi adapter model(s): WiFi device driver version: Number of systems affected: Wireless security method Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES): 802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP): Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST): WiFi network environment Access Point manufacturer, model, & SW version: Wireless Frequencies in use (2.4 and/or 5 GHz): 802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)): Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz) for 2.4 GHz? Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz vs. 80MHz) for 5 GHz? SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast): Enterprise Customers: WLAN Controller manufacturer, model, and SW version: RADIUS Server Make/Version: Debug data Please include the following (if available): • Intel Wireless Reporting Tool (WRT) • Intel WiFi Tool (ping utility) • Windows System Event log • Windows WLAN-AutoConfig log • Screen shots depicting failure Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JGree19
Beginner

Problem details

Problem description: As described above, intel AC9260 cannot find the wireless signal when I set the channel width to VHT80 or higher

Frequency of occurrence (once an hour, day, always): always

Computer power source (plugged in or battery): plugged in

Steps to reproduce (provide links to forums, online help, screen shots):

Attempted workaround (turn off settings, change power settings, etc.): change channel width from 20mhz to VHT160

Environment (office, school, hospital, factory, home): home

Client computer details

Computer manufacturer(s): MSI

Computer model(s): AEGIS 3

Windows OS (provide Version number if Win10, and 32- or 64-bit): Win10 64bit

WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.): not sure, maybe Windows AutoConfig

WiFi adapter model(s): Intel AC 9260

WiFi device driver version: 20.90.0.7

Number of systems affected: 1 (Also none of my other devices can find the signal, 9260 is the newest wifi adapter model)

Wireless security method

Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES): AES

802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP):  don’t know

Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST): don’t know

WiFi network environment

Access Point manufacturer, model, & SW version: NETGEAR R7800, firmware dd-wrt v3.0-r37305

Wireless Frequencies in use (2.4 and/or 5 GHz): both

802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)): yes

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz) for 2.4 GHz? 20mhz

Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz vs. 80MHz) for 5 GHz? 40mhz for now

SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast): broadcast

When I change the channel width of the 5GHz WIFI to VHT80 or higher, the broadcast just not showing up on my wireless list when searching for signal. Here's a screenshot of my security settings for this WIFI.

1.PNG

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Thank you for the form. Can you please confirm if this is an integration? Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JGree19
Beginner

I don't know what is an integration.

0 Kudos
JGree19
Beginner

I looked up the difinition online and my case is an integration, the 9260 card is installed directly to the motherboard.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Thank you for confirming that. Please, let me check this matter. I will update the thread as soon as possible. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JGree19
Beginner

Hello, looks like you forget me already?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Please, provide the following information. 1. MSinfo report 2. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- report Does the issue happen with your OEM driver? Please, try this driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28358/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=99445. Use this steps for the installation: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
If you need further assistance let us know. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JGree19
Beginner

Sorry for the late respondence, the attachments are the reports you asked for, and I tried the driver you provided with installing it in the correct way, now the device manager shows "intel Wireless AC 9260 160Mhz" as the name, but I still couldn't search the WIFI signal when I set it to VHT80 or higher.

0 Kudos
JGree19
Beginner

Here's the msinfo file, it seems I can't upload the msinfo file through attachment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v32wh948op88bu3/msinfo.nfo?dl=0

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Thank you. I will update the thread as soon as possible. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Thank you for your patience. The Access Point will automatically pick 160Mhz if supported by the router, you can check more details about this matter here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005799/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JGree19
Beginner

That doesn't solve my problem. I have set the "channel width for 5Ghz" is auto, and my network card is 9260, which the webpage says it supports the 160mhz. My router is netgear R7800 which I am sure it supports 160Mhz. But why my device couldn't recognize the 160mhz signal?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
I sent you a private message to request your private information. Hope you were able to check your message. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello JGree19, Thank you for your patience and working with me to solve your inquiry. I have sent you an e-mail to gather more information, also, I was reviewing some information about your router model and I was able to find some settings that must be enabled to have 160MHz signal. Please refer to the screenshot attached, also you can refer to the link below which has the user manual for your specific router: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7800/R7800_UM_EN.pdf * Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. * Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JGree19
Beginner

Hello David,

I changed the firmware to dd-wrt which this manual does not apply to my router.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello JGree19, Thank you for your response. In this case, what I can recommend you to do is to try downloading the IT Administrator drivers for your Intel ® Wireless Adapter which you can find in the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017246/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html If you are still unable to connect to the desired signal then please contact the router manufacturer for support with this. Or else, you can contact the system manufacturer so they can check to see if there is any hardware issue with the wireless adapter as well. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello JGree19, Were you able to check my post? If you need any more assistance let me know. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos