Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Intel AX200 Disables Itself

hadesflames
Beginner

For a long while now I've been having an issue where my wifi just randomly disables itself and I go offline. Running automatic troubleshooting typically brings it back up by restarting it, but that never fixes the problem. It will still eventually turn itself off again. It happens maybe once or twice a week. I would like to fix the issue so that it doesn't just disable itself anymore.

I ran SSU (attached) for more details on my hardware. I'm also definitely running the very latest drivers but it's been happening for multiple driver versions at this point.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Hadesflames,

I'm unclear what you mean when you write the wireless disables itself. Do you mean the wireless connection disconnected and did not reconnect? What indications are there in Device Manager ... yellow exclamation point, or the device is completely not listed, or things look fine but there is no wireless connection?

Does this happen during VPN connected sessions, or is this behavior happening regardless of using the VPN or not?

Do you recall if there was an operating system update that immediately preceded the problematic behavior?

0 Kudos
hadesflames
Beginner

By disables I mean go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections there you should see all of your network adapters. Right click on an adapter and click disable. That is the status of the adapter when this issue occurs.

There is no issue in device manager, and latest drivers are installed. As mentioned, this has been occurring for many driver versions.

I don't believe it occurred specifically after a windows update.

It happens regardless of VPN status. In fact, it happens even with no VPN installed whatsoever. I just so happen to have the AWS one installed a few weeks ago.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Hadesflames,

What type of wireless router or access point are you connecting to? Is your desktop PC connected to only the 5 GHz band? Or, do you have a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz connected?

Approximately how long will the desktop run before you get the disconnect? Does it happen every time you are using the desktop, or only some days, and other days you experience no disconnect?

0 Kudos
hadesflames
Beginner

The PC is only connected to the 5Ghz band. It's an Asus RT-AC86U router.

I don't know how long it takes for disconnects to happen. It only happens once or twice a week, seemingly at random.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Hadesflames,

I have a very similar setup as yours, where the AX200 in on-board, but I have an RT-AX88U. What I suspect is happening is the 5 GHz connection is dropping. To test the theory please have your desktop create a second Wi-Fi connection to the router, but the second connection should be to the 2.4 GHz band. In Windows you can sort the wireless preference, so place the 2.4 GHz as a lower priority. If the problem is that you are indeed losing link to the 5 GHz part of the router, the 2.4 GHz connection should take over.

I don't know why you would be losing the connection - just yet, but this should help provide more detail.

0 Kudos
hadesflames
Beginner

But as I mentioned before, my connection is not dropping. My adapter is being disabled.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Hadesflames,

Got-it. Since you already have the Intel SSU tool, please wait until one of these disabled events happens, and run the SSU again. Once you have the results saved and again have a working link, please reply back and attach the second file.

0 Kudos