Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel AX200 & AX1650 (Killer & Intel) bluetooth audio lag after Windows 10 2004 update

Lolato
Novice

I was very happy on May 20th when Intel launched the version 21.90.2.1 of its bluetooth (I have laptops with both AX200 and AX1650). This driver was excellent and solved many issued with bluetooth that I had with many new devices (poor connection, unstable, audio lag, etc). The audio/video sync was perfect! (Zero lag!!) I was impressed. (I was using Windows 10 version 1909)

But my joy didn't last too long. A few weeks later I updated the Windows 10 to the version 2004. And then the audio lag appeared again. (everything else is stable and working properly, just the audio lag that appeared again). It's not so bad, I tested and it's about 0.1 to 0.2s delay. But compared to the perfection I experienced before, it seems a big deal to me now. It has nothing to do with the speakers/phones, because I have sevearl different ones, and this happened to all of them after updating to 2004 version of Windows. I have done the same tests with different laptops under the same circumstance (AX 200 or AX1650 with drivers 21.90.2.1): when they are under windows 1909 the sync is perfect, but when are in windows 2004, there is the short lag.

When will Intel launch a newer version of the bluetooth driver to maybe "fit" with Windows 10 2004 whatever, in order to make the audio sync perfect again?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Lolato
Novice

Dear @AndrewG_Intel 

thanks for you attention and reply. 

Yes, I tried (for the second time now) a Clean Install of both Wireless and Bluetooth drivers. It didn't make any difference.

I can notice the lag visually. And then I measure it using a simple video player (PotPlayer or VLC) that allow me to adjust audio sync by 0.05s at a time... I adjust until I can see a perfect sync.

I have good news though. Yesterday I installed the recent Cumulate WIndows Update - Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.423) - that fixes a lot of issues with Windows 2004. And after updating, now the lag is almost zero again! (something between 0 and 0.05, which is GREAT!). So, aparently, windows had changed something that somehow affects bluetooth response (even if the driver for the bluetooth is already great). This lag had happened only with Intel card networks (either purely Intel AX200 or Killer AX1650 that also uses Intel AX200 chip). The other Killer cards I have (model 1435) didn't get affected by the windows 2004 update in the first place. So, now everything is sorted out.

Thanks

Rodrigo Lolato

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Lolato
Novice

I updated to 21.110.0 and 21.110.1 both Bluetooth and Wireless drivers (made available today Aug 5th), but unfortunately it didn't improve anything regarding audio/video sync lag. It's still the 0.1-0.2s delay, just as when upgraded windows from 1909 to 2004. 

And the issue is across bluetooth speakers and across apps (regardless of being youtube, netflix or even several video files in my PC). And it all worked perfectly (zero lag) when WIndows 1909 was installed (and Intel 21.90.2 drivers).

What a pitty... I really loved the short period of time that I enjoyed Zero Lag... Now I'm wondering if (and when) I will have it back... Maybe it's a microsoft issue?

0 Kudos
Lolato
Novice

I updated to 21.110.0 and 21.110.1 both Bluetooth and Wireless drivers (made available today Aug 5th), but unfortunately it didn't improve anything regarding audio/video sync lag. It's still the 0.1-0.2s delay, just as when upgraded windows from 1909 to 2004. 

And the issue is across bluetooth speakers and across apps (regardless of being youtube, netflix or even several video files in my PC). And it all worked perfectly (zero lag) when Windows 1909 was installed (and Intel 21.90.2 drivers).

What a pitty... I really loved the short period of time that I enjoyed Zero Lag... Now I'm wondering if (and when) I will have it back... Maybe it's a microsoft issue?

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Lolato

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Just to make sure, since you mentioned you tested Bluetooth drivers 21.90.2.1 and 21.110.0, we would like to know if you updated the driver performing a clean install of the driver. If not, could you please follow the steps in the below link and let us know the outcome?

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki...

Additionally, to avoid Windows® update reinstalling a different driver during the process, we recommend first downloading and saving the driver installers in your computer, then disconnect the Internet, and after that to proceed following the Clean install steps.

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 Version: 21.110.0: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29790/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10

If the issue persists, please provide the following information:

1- Have you tried a Windows® rollback to version 1909 (using the latest Bluetooth drivers) to see if the behavior is the same? If you haven't tried it yet, are you able to test this on one of the systems?

2- Could you please elaborate more on how you are measuring the audio lag?

3- Are the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 the original wireless adapters that came pre-installed on the laptops?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" dialog below the edit box.

Note:

Regarding the Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650*, it is worth mentioning that Killer® Wireless products are marketed, sold, supplied, and supported by Rivet Networks*. We recommend contacting Rivet Networks for driver updates and support. For more information please refer to the below link:

Support for Killer® Wireless Network Adapters: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026140/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Lolato
Novice

Dear @AndrewG_Intel 

thanks for you attention and reply. 

Yes, I tried (for the second time now) a Clean Install of both Wireless and Bluetooth drivers. It didn't make any difference.

I can notice the lag visually. And then I measure it using a simple video player (PotPlayer or VLC) that allow me to adjust audio sync by 0.05s at a time... I adjust until I can see a perfect sync.

I have good news though. Yesterday I installed the recent Cumulate WIndows Update - Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.423) - that fixes a lot of issues with Windows 2004. And after updating, now the lag is almost zero again! (something between 0 and 0.05, which is GREAT!). So, aparently, windows had changed something that somehow affects bluetooth response (even if the driver for the bluetooth is already great). This lag had happened only with Intel card networks (either purely Intel AX200 or Killer AX1650 that also uses Intel AX200 chip). The other Killer cards I have (model 1435) didn't get affected by the windows 2004 update in the first place. So, now everything is sorted out.

Thanks

Rodrigo Lolato

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Lolato

Thank you for your response and for all the details.

We are glad to know that after installing the recent Windows® Updates it provided fixes that also positively affected the Bluetooth response and hence, this seems to indicate that the behavior was triggered or related to the Windows® 2004 update. (That's why we wanted to see if the behavior would have persisted with a rollback to Windows® 1909).

Thanks for taking the time to share the feedback. This illustrates why it is important to keep the system, drivers, and operating system up to date. Hopefully, this may help other community members experiencing similar behavior.

Please kindly let us know if you have additional inquiries or if we can consider this thread solved?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Lolato
Novice
Yes, we can consider this thread solved.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Lolato

Thank you for your response. We will proceed to mark the thread as "solved" now and then we will close it. If you need further assistance in the future or any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Lolato

We just want to update this thread and to mention that we checked further this behavior and we couldn't relate it to driver problems. Since the issue was related to the Windows® Update, in case the behavior reoccurs our last recommendation is to report this to Microsoft support (or to your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)).

We will now close this thread, it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos