Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AX201 L3 disconnection when roaming

Jesus_Pavon
Beginner

Hi community.

I've been troubleshooting a roaming issue with some Lenovo laptops using Intel AX201 for the last 3 months.

The conditions:

WLAN Infrastructure with Cisco AP4800 running IOS-XE code, AP in Flexconnect mode with local forwarding and local DHCP.

Lenovo laptop running manufactyrer driver and Intel's generic drivers.

The symptoms:

The end-user device is working perfectly until the user moves and the device roams from one AP to the next one. At that time the device roams seamlessly from L1-L2 point of view, but then the laptop alerts about connectivity failures and the checks show it has received an APIPA address.

The workaround:

L3 connectivity is restored upon manually bouncinf the Wi-Fi interface, or waiting for some minutes (maybe next re-auth cycle?)

The tests:

I've tested with generic drivers from Intel and with Lenovo drivers, using versions 22.40, 22.100 and 22.110 (both RC and final releases) and the issue is still there.

Now testing with generics 22.30.

Attached SSU results for both 22.110.1.1 and 22.30.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello Jesus_Pavon,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand you are having issues with your Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (Gig+).  

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

2. Did you notice the issue after a system update? When did it start?

3. What is the brand and model name of the router?

4. Were you able to confirm if the issue is present in a different laptop or device?

5. Did you notice any errors when the issue is present?

6. Have you checked with Lenovo for advice and instructions?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Jesus_Pavon, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
JPavonM
New Contributor I

Sorry for my late response.

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   This is the original adapter that come with all Lenovo laptops

2. Did you notice the issue after a system update? When did it start? I noticed the issue in October 2021 after upgrading all laptops to MS Update Catalog 22.40 as there were lot of different models with different Intel adapters. Then I've tested with previous Intel's generic versions (22.30) and latest ones (22.100 and 22.110). Now testing 22.70 from Lenovo's site from Dec'21 for this specific laptop.

3. What is the brand and model name of the router? Lenovo T14s

4. Were you able to confirm if the issue is present in a different laptop or device? this is present in multiple laptops with same wNIC

5. Did you notice any errors when the issue is present? I noticed the issue when the users move from one area to another and the laptop roams between different APs

6. Have you checked with Lenovo for advice and instructions? Not yet as I'm on the Networks side and not IT side and they don't want to collaborate too much as they understand this is a wireless issue and not laptop (procedure) (maybe you all know the eternal fight with these issues between Nets and IT when something regarding connectivity happens, it's always on the network side and never related to laptop, so it's hard to look for help)

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Jesus_Pavon, 

Thanks for the information provided. Based on your issue I would like you to try the following:

1. Perform a clean installation of the latest Intel driver and PROSet software.

2. Check the Microsoft website to confirm if you have the latest Windows version and build (not Windows 11).

3. Check with Lenovo to get the steps to install the latest BIOS version 1.21.

Please let me know if the issue persists.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
JPavonM
New Contributor I

@DeividA_Intel will do and keep you updated

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Jesus_Pavon, 

Thanks for your response. I will be waiting for the result of the troubleshooting.

Do not hesitate to let me know if you need further help.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
JPavonM
New Contributor I

@DeividA_Intel today after some days testing clean 22.30 and 22.110 generic drivers the issue has reapeared again.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Jesus_Pavon, 

Thanks for the update. In order to continue, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Have you updated your Windows version and build?

2. Have you updated your BIOS version?

3. Have you checked with Lenovo for further instructions?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
JPavonM
New Contributor I

Yesterday I managed to do further testing with new laptops in the office, and I noticed the issue is also affecting Mediatek and Realtek models, so not related to Intel but to Cisco code in the APs.

@DeividA_Intel sorry for the time spent on this thread, but the only laptop models I had there were Intel based.

Regards.

DeividA_Intel

Hello Jesus_Pavon, 

I do appreciate the update on this matter. Since the issue is related to the Cisco code in the APs, I wopuld like to know if you agree to close this thread.

I will be waiting for your response. Thanks for your time and comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Jesus_Pavon,  

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
JPavonM
New Contributor I

Hi @DeividA_Intel we can close the thread as this is not related to Intel chipset and/or driver.

Regards.

Jesus

DeividA_Intel

Hello Jesus_Pavon, 

I do appreciate the update. I will proceed to close this thread, however, you can open a new thread in case you experience any issues with Intel products.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos