Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3165 - Bluetooth stopped working with driver update, can't update Network driver

AUser1
Beginner

I just got a brand new PC with a MSI Motherboard B350M BAZOOKA AMD B350 Chipset and Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3165. I turned it on, checked that Bluetooth was working, then started installing updated drivers for everything. The Network driver for the Intel 3165 won't update past 19.51.8.2. I have downloaded WiFi_20.10.2_PROSet64_Win10 many times. It says it installed but the driver does not change from 19.51.8.2. I tried the Intel Detection program that automatically installs drivers - same thing happens, and it continually tells me that I need to install an update that does not work. This doesn't matter as much because the Wireless IS working, just not up to date.

The Intel 3165 under "Bluetooth" in Device Manager, however, HAS updated to BT_20.0.0_64_Win10 and Bluetooth promptly stopped working. Yes, it was working until it got updated. When I uninstall the device, Scan for new hardware and it auto-reinstalls, the bluetooth device works for 5 seconds, then stops working, then works for 5 seconds, then stops working - about three or four times - then stops working completely and displays a yellow exclamation mark . Here is the error code given in Device Manager:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

I made sure that "Maximum Performance" was selected under power options. I made sure that "Allow Windows to turn this device off" was unselected in Device Manager. I have tried rolling back the drivers but they don't install. I have tried uninstalling both devices, deleting the drivers, and restarting my PC, but when I turn it back on, they are back and I'm faced with the same situation. I am on Windows 10 x64 version 1709 - please advise.

EDIT: I fixed the Bluetooth problem myself. At the recommendation of a fellow poster here ( ) I switched the USB Header and it fixed the problem. For those who might not be technically inclined (as I am, had to look it up), here is the step-by-step.

1. Shut down PC

2. Flip Power Switch to "off" (if applicable) and unplug power cord

3. Open case

4. Find the Network Adapter - it has ONE cable (which provides a USB connection to the MOBO)

5. See where this cable connects to the MOBO - the slot is probably labeled "JUSB1"

6. Disconnect the cable and using the same orientation connect it to your MOBO in the "JUSB2" slot

7. Reconnect everything and power on and hopefully it works otherwise good luck in the forums here

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello HotTomato,

We understand that you're experiencing an error code 10 for your Bluetooth*.

The latest wireless driver version for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 on windows version is 19.51.8.2. This differs from the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version (20.10.2 as of today). in this case, your wireless driver is already up to date.

Please try a clean Bluetooth* driver installation. Here's how:

1. Download and save The Bluetooth* driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27195/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=89450 here.
  2. Uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Bluetooth* Software.
    1. Open Programs and Features (Uninstall a program) from the Control Panel.
    2. Select Uninstall or Change and then Remove.
    3. If prompted, choose to discard settings.
  3. Uninstall your Bluetooth* driver:
    1. Go to Device Manager.
    2. Expand the Bluetooth* category.
    3. Right-click on the Bluetooth* Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
    4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  4. Clear out your temporary files:
    1. Press the Windows* key and R key simultaneously to open the run box.
    2. Type in: cleanmgr.exe and press the Enter key or OK.
    3. Place a check mark next to Temporary Files. You can leave everything else checked or unchecked.
    4. Press OK and wait.
  5. Reboot your computer.
  6. Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator and follow the wizard to completion.

Please let us know if this was helpful.

EDIT: HotTomato We just noticed your update. It's good to know you were able to solve the issue following another user instructions. Please post again if anything else is required.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
phillw
Beginner

"The latest wireless driver version for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 on windows version is 19.51.8.2. This differs from the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version (20.10.2 as of today). in this case, your wireless driver is already up to date."

I am ok with explanation, but the Intel Driver & Support Assistant insists that I don't have the latest driver. It seems to think there is a 20.0.2 driver in the PROSet 20.10.2.

Updated Version: 20.0.2

Release Date: October 16, 2017

Size: 94 MB

Installs the wireless driver for the Intel® Wireless Adapter in the Intel® NUC Kit.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello phw,

Thanks for taking this to our attention. We'll inform the software developers about it.

We apologize for the confusion caused by the software information, it seems to be reporting the incorrect latest driver for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165. The actual driver version can be confirmed in the driver download site:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27309/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?v=t Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10

On the detailed description under "Software and drivers" you can find the driver version for each active Intel® Wireless Adapter:

• Driver version = 20.10.2.2 for Windows 10 for 9461, 9560, 9260, 18265, 8265, 18260, 8260 adapters.
  • Driver version = 19.51.8.2 for Windows 10 for 3168, 3165, and 17265 adapters.
  • Driver version = 18.33.11.2 for Windows 10 for 7265, 3160, and 7260 adapters.

I hope this information will be useful for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos