Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 Bluetooth doesn't work Windows 7

RHill7
Beginner

First the specs. Asus G73JW 64b Win7 Ultimate SP1. Intel i7 1.73GHz. Ameritrends BIOS v 205. 14GB memory. History, Upgraded from the original combo WiFi card three years ago. I got the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 abgn. Worked with no issues. I recently got a new bluetooth mouse which only works with the newer bluetooth 4.0 so I had to upgrade. Here is where my headache began.

Installed the card, no problems. Installed Intel's auto driver update utility. First set of drivers installed ok although there were some glitches on the bluetooth side. For some odd reason the MS BT-270 has a yellow warning while the Intel BT device is working properly. Even in this state the bluetooth seemed to be ok. Intel driver utility says there's an update (this is when the headache got bigger). I used it to install the bluetooth update. Bluetooth stops working again. I tried at least 4 different versions of the driver for this card and none seemed to work 100%. I have no clue why but the intel bluetooth seemed to work only when the MS BT-270 was in yellow state with a code 10 status. (This device cannot start. (Code 10)) Even though, I'd rather this not be the case I went along with it since my mouse was working.

Today, while watching TV the mouse randomly just stops working. I checked my windows system log to find the following errors repeating over and over again

A command sent to the adapter has timed out. The adapter did not respond.

The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded.

Only one active Bluetooth adapter is supported at a time. (I have not installed any other bluetooth adapters)

The two bolded errors repeat. The last one repeats less often.

Note: Wireless side works flawlessly. No issues throughout any of the updates. Already contacted ASUS support and they basically told me I'm screwed if hardware isn't installed by them. They also told me that they haven't tested this particular card on this machine. They offered absolutely no support and told me to contact Intel.

Driver versions I've tried:

BT_19.40.1702_64_Win7

BT_19.30.1646_64_Win7

BT_19.11.1639_64_Win7

BT_19.00.1629_64_Win7

BT_19.0.1607_64_Win7

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello R00b,

As Doc explained, custom integration of Intel® Wireless Adapters is not supported and may lead to different issues. We strongly recommend you to contact the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support for assistance.

Here are a few important things for your consideration based on the description you provided:

- The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 has integrated Bluetooth*. To use the adapter correctly, the computer must be designed to handle Wi-Fi through PCIe and Bluetooth* through USB from the same card. The old N 6300 does not have Bluetooth*, so there is no guarantee that the ac7260 will work well in your PC.

- The BT-270 appears to be a Bluetooth* controller built from factory with your PC. This will definitely cause conflicts with the Bluetooth* controller from the 7260, and it's probably one of the reasons for the problem.

If the Bluetooth* component from the 7260 was detected properly and usable, it may not work well unless you are able to disable the other Bluetooth* controller built-in to your PC.

Regards,

Jonathan B.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Only OEMs are allowed to install/upgrade these cards:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005687.html Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

And, as documented here, you may experience problems:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005846.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

Doc

RHill7
Beginner

Very interesting read. Good info. However, as someone already mentioned on another thread, cards such as these are readily available in retail outlets, not just random resellers. If it were only available to OEM manufacturers then these particular models should not be released to the general public.

I've been reading a lot about people having problems ONLY with the bluetooth side. Something isn't completely adding up here...

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Lots of things make it to the retail channel that should not.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello R00b,

As Doc explained, custom integration of Intel® Wireless Adapters is not supported and may lead to different issues. We strongly recommend you to contact the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support for assistance.

Here are a few important things for your consideration based on the description you provided:

- The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 has integrated Bluetooth*. To use the adapter correctly, the computer must be designed to handle Wi-Fi through PCIe and Bluetooth* through USB from the same card. The old N 6300 does not have Bluetooth*, so there is no guarantee that the ac7260 will work well in your PC.

- The BT-270 appears to be a Bluetooth* controller built from factory with your PC. This will definitely cause conflicts with the Bluetooth* controller from the 7260, and it's probably one of the reasons for the problem.

If the Bluetooth* component from the 7260 was detected properly and usable, it may not work well unless you are able to disable the other Bluetooth* controller built-in to your PC.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RHill7
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. As I've already mentioned, I've already tried contacting Asus support to no avail. They told me that since they haven't tested this particular card on this machine they can't help me. I followed up and asked them for a list of cards that this machine *will* support. We shall see what they respond to that. This kinda sucks right now because I need bluetooth 4.0 for the new mouse. I actually did disable the BT-270 controller but that disabled the radio itself. This basically worked as if I turned the transmitter off. You've shed some new light on the situation. I hadn't considered that the old card didn't have bluetooth built into it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello R00b,

The assistance we can provide in this situation is very limited, as it may be a problem of compatibility.

You might want to check if the BIOS has the option to disable the built-in Bluetooth* and see if it helps.

If the issues persists, you will need to check with the OEM if they can offer other options to get Bluetooth* 4.0 in your PC.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RHill7
Beginner

I actually tried disabling it via BIOS immediately after your first message. I'd read something about that before purchasing, that some manufacturers had released updated BIOS. Once disabling it via BIOS, all bluetooth was gone, however. Hopefully, Asus replies positively to my last message.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello R00b,

We hope you get a positive response from the Computer Manufacturer Support. Feel free to contact us if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RHill7
Beginner

Unfortunately, they also suggested a dongle and that it's not possible due to the hardware that came with it. However, I've managed to get it to work. Was very weird. After figuring out that there was a conflict from my own experiment and further info from the your response here, I disabled the BT-270 adapter. I allowed all the BT devices to be installed under the Intel BT adapter. Disabled the Intel adapter. Re-enabled the BT-270 and allowed all the drivers to install. Disabled the BT-270 adapter again. Re-enabled the Intel adapter. Deleted the mouse and re-paired. Now my mouse is working. Let's see how stable it is.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello R00b,

We are glad to know you found a way to make it work. Given the circumstances, this may be your best option.

We hope you are satisfied with the assistance provided from our end.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RHill7
Beginner

Yes, Jonathan. You were very instrumental in helping me figure this out. Sometimes it's the little details that make all the difference. Thank you for having patience with me.

0 Kudos
PBena1
Beginner

Hi,

did this incredible sequence of enabling-disabling proved to be stable, so "the" solution?

It seems I am in the same boat - I have the Centrino Ultimate 6300 and would like to upgrade (to the 7260, I assume, because of the form factor compatibility - still need to confirm this). I also need Bluetooth 4 for a presentation control device.

(However, I am on Win 10 Pro 64.)

UB

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello UBoMW,

Please be aware that the steps performed by R00b may not work in your system.

You should contact the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support to determine system compatibility before upgrading the Wireless adapter in your system.

We have provided a detailed reply in the new thread you created: /thread/113045 Upgrade from Intel Centrino Ultimate 6300-N?

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RHill7
Beginner

Jonathan is correct. This may not work on your machine. However, if I was better informed I would never have done it this way. I would have simply disabled the BT-270 from the beginning. This is what causes the conflict with the Intel controller. &# 127;

0 Kudos