Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 Range Issues

DChen54
Novice

I've been having WiFi range Issues with my laptop even when I'm less than 3 meters away from the router. I seeked help from my manufacturer but they did not respond. So I thought I'd ask it here. Can somebody assist me with the troubleshooting? If possible, please reply ASAP as I need it for my studies. I am willing to take the risk. Thanks.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi DC20,

We understand your situation regarding the wireless range problem.

In order to better understand the situation, could you please provide the following information:

-https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create and save a report with all sections, then add your reply to this thread and use the Advanced editor options to attach the resulting file to your post.

-Is this the original adapter that came with your system or did you replace it with a different one?

-Could you please let us know the brand and model of your system?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards,

Junior M.
DChen54
Novice

intel_corp Thanks for the reply. This is my original wireless adapter, my laptop model is Acer Aspire V7-582P. I have attached a .txt file which contains the Intel SSU report. Looking forward to hear from you soon.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DC20,

Thanks for the logs provided. Based on the information, we found that you are connected to the wireless channel 1, we advise you to change that channel to a different one, you can check the following information:

-https://www.lifewire.com/best-wifi-channels-for-your-network-818278 How to Choose The Best Wi-Fi Channels for Your Network

-https://fossbytes.com/how-to-increase-wi-fi-speed-choose-correct-wi-fi-channel/ How To Increase Wi-Fi Speed by Choosing Correct Wi-Fi Channel

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Also, please provide us with the following information:

-Did you make any changes to the system before the issue started?

-Could you please let us know if you are close to sources of interference like microwaves?

-Would it be possible for you to open your computer and check if the antennas are connected properly to the adapter?

NOTE: If you are able to open your computer and it is out of warranty you can proceed, otherwise if your system stills under warranty please do not open it because it may avoid your warranty.

In case that the situation persists after changing the wireless channel, we recommend you to perform a clean driver installation:

-We advise you to use the generic driver version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.70.0]

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

2. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

3. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

4. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

5. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
DChen54
Novice

Thanks for the reply intel_corp, I recently reinstalled the graphics driver as seen in this forum: ">

My microwave is more than 7 meters away from the modem and is used seldomly. Here's a picture of my wireless adapter physical connection (The warranty is long expired).

The wireless adapter seems to be intact and connected.

After your solution (Uninstalling the driver), the connection seems to have improved. However, the connection is still not performing at a maximum, and fluctuates occasionally. My power settings is set to performance, with every sub-settings set to high.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DC20,

Thanks for the information provided. We would like to confirm the following details:

- Please run https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- this tool again in order to verify the settings you currently have after the clean installation of the driver, then add your reply to this thread and use the Advanced editor options to attach the resulting file to your post.

-Could you please let us know the brand and model of your Router?

-Could you please let us know what is the download speed you are expecting to get?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
DChen54
Novice

I have attached the intel SSO scan in this reply.

My router is a ADSL INNATECH W7100N

Here's my download speed:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DC20,

Thanks for the logs provided. Based on that we found the following details:

-The signal strength is 46%.

-The connection rate is 19.5Mbps which is too low for the N protocol.

-You are connected to the wireless channel 11.

Please provide the following information:

*How far away were you from the router when you made the test?

*Could you please let us know what is the download speed you are expecting to get?

We suggest you turn off the Bluetooth® and try again.

Also, We advise you to try with a different wireless channel. For more information you can check the following links :

-https://www.lifewire.com/best-wifi-channels-for-your-network-818278 How to Choose The Best Wi-Fi Channels for Your Network

-https://fossbytes.com/how-to-increase-wi-fi-speed-choose-correct-wi-fi-channel/ How To Increase Wi-Fi Speed by Choosing Correct Wi-Fi Channel

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
DChen54
Novice

intel_corp Thanks for the reply. I have uninstalled the Bluetooth before I posted this forum, so I think it's not the issue right now. Also, I'm not sure which channel to choose from. I used the WiFi Analyzer app to find the best channel, so I choose the channel with the highest rating.

I'm less than 5 meters away from the router when I made the test. In my opinion, the router is not the issue here. My sister had an Acer notebook as well, and her laptop can receive maximum connection even from more than 5 meters away.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DC20,

Thanks for the update. In this case, we recommend you to follow the next steps:

-With your computer turned off, please take out the wireless adapter and the antennas.

-Visual inspect the adapter and make sure the connectors are free of debris.

-Connect the adapter again.

-Please try installing the antennas in a different position:

*Black cable in the connector 2.

*White cable in the connector 1.

Note: If the situation remains, please connect the antennas in the original position.

Please let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
DChen54
Novice

Sorry for the late reply. I have tried your solution but it doesn't seem to help.

Is there anything else I can do?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DC20,

Thanks for the update. As you mentioned in previous posts, you installed an Intel(R) HD Graphics driver before the situation started.

We suggest you to try to perform a system restore before the date you installed the graphics driver in order to check if the situation persists.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows(R) 10 - Microsoft* Support

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
DChen54
Novice

intel_corp Is there a way to fix the problem without using Recovery options? I have finally gotten the graphics driver to be fixed. Besides, the range issues has been occuring before I fix the graphics driver issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DC20,

Thanks for the reply, it seems that you are experiencing hardware issues. This could be a situation regarding a faulty antenna or defective adapter, our best recommendation is to work with the computer manufacturer for warranty support or possible replacement parts.

Regards,

Junior M.
DChen54
Novice

Thanks for the reply. May I know what are the possible causes of the issue, as well as compatible drivers for my laptop? I wish to install it myself as I don't have warranty for this laptop anymore.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DC20,

Thanks for the update. As we already try with thehttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 generic drivers for Windows(R) 10 but the problem persists.

It seems that this situation could be related to a faulty antenna or defective adapter.

Even if your computer is not under warranty, we recommend you to purchase the replacement parts from your computer manufacturer to avoid compatibility issues.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DC20,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. We would like to know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
DChen54
Novice

Thanks for the reply intel_corp, I have recently updated the Windows 10 update which improved my connectivity. I suspect that it's a defective adapter as you mentioned. I think I'll consider for a new adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DC20,

Thanks for the update. Please try with the new adapter and let us know the outcome of your situation.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos