Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel® Killer™ Performance Suite fails to install - interrupted

KevinMcNeill
Novice

Can you help?

A new update notice appeared today (01/05/2022) from Intel Driver Support Assistant. I tried to install. Install failed.

I tried several times to load the latest Intel® Killer™ Performance Suite Version: 3.1121.1159. A few minutes into the install it fails. The previous revisions load and runs fine.

Here is the error code from the install log.

DIFXAPP: INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000024B)
DIFXAPP: ERROR: encountered while installing driver package 'C:\Program Files\Killer Networking\Killer Control Center\Production\Windows11-x64\E3100\e2fn.inf'
DIFXAPP: ERROR: InstallDriverPackages failed with error 0xE000024B

1 Solution
mattferreira
Novice

Through Trial and Error (AKA Troubleshooting) the custom installation option I have determined the issue is with the E3100 Drivers Only. All other drivers and applications in the package install as expected. 

The log for the failure of this lone drive is 2684 lines - Same error as above from multiple folks. Generic google results indicate this is a signed driver issue...

Support is telling me it's an issue with uninstalling, which is incorrect. Still working with them 

View solution in original post

25 Replies
mattferreira
Novice

I had a similar issue - installing KillerPerformanceSuite_3.1121.1165_Win10-11x64

my output is :

DIFXAPP: ERROR: encountered while installing driver package 'C:\Program Files\Killer Networking\Killer Control Center\Production\Windows11-x64\E3100\e2fn.inf'
DIFXAPP: RETURN: InstallDriverPackages() 3758096971 (0xE000024B)
CustomAction MsiInstallDrivers returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Installing on a XPS 8940 With a Killer E2600- I was chatting with a support rep and now "Chat is unavailable" 

They suggested uninstalling rebooting and reattempting the install (even though the error was unrelated to the uninstall) - I did this and the issues persists. I've updated my ticket but not holding my breath on a response

KevinMcNeill
Novice

I also try an uninstall the current Killer suite, reboot, install upgraded revision (Version:
3.1121.1159), SAME ERROR / FAIL TO INSTALL. Reinstalled old version (Version 3.1121.1048) with no problems.

Kevin

Reaper0983
New Contributor I
Same issue here. Previous version installs and runs fine. Think it's the cmd prompt inf install that fails
tns49
Novice

Ditto.  i am trying 3.1121.1048 which I think was the previous version. 

Okay 3.1121.1048 installed and now have a version of the Killer control center again working.  Note it had been left in some sort half uninstall state (i think all its pieces missing) but unable to run, reinstall from Microsoft store, uninstall etc.

For what its worth my killer card  the E2500 Gigabit Ethernet adapter, which hasn't had a driver update included in these Killer Performance Suites.

tracedog
Novice

Same error here too:

DIFXAPP: RETURN: InstallDriverPackages() 3758096971 (0xE000024B)
CustomAction MsiInstallDrivers returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 8:48:32: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

0 Kudos
mattferreira
Novice

Through Trial and Error (AKA Troubleshooting) the custom installation option I have determined the issue is with the E3100 Drivers Only. All other drivers and applications in the package install as expected. 

The log for the failure of this lone drive is 2684 lines - Same error as above from multiple folks. Generic google results indicate this is a signed driver issue...

Support is telling me it's an issue with uninstalling, which is incorrect. Still working with them 

KevinMcNeill
Novice

Thank you @mattferreira . I confirmed your observation on my Dell XPS 8940. By using the custom installation and deselecting the E3100, which I do not require, the installation was successful.

Thanks for your help,

Kevin

tracedog
Novice
0 Kudos
tns49
Novice

Very good, at least for most of us,  Those with E3100's are still screwed until they fix this.

0 Kudos
ddbbmm1999
Beginner

Can you guys please share with me how to run the installer in "custom" installation option?  I can't get through the installer as is.  Either through the support agent or through the direct download of the killer suite.  

Thank you.

DB

0 Kudos
Reaper0983
New Contributor I

You sir are indeed the man.  Disabled the 3xxx drivers and install worked perfect.  Thank you.

mattferreira
Novice

So I was able to isolate the MSI - and I ran a signature check on the data files (Now I'm more curious as to every anything) - Most of the files had valid signatures- the only thing that stuck out was most INF files did NOT have a signature (which isn't uncommon from what I've read - not an expert on driver signing) - **BUT** One INFO file *WAS* Signed:

c:\tmp\killer performance driver suite uwd\data1\e2k68cx21x64.inf:
Verified: Signed
Signing date: 11:56 AM 10/27/2021
Publisher: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
Company: n/a
Description: n/a
Product: n/a
Prod version: n/a
File version: n/a
MachineType: n/a

I know the error logs mentioned a different INF file causing grief - e2fn.inf and i don't see any cross references, although this is far outside my realm of expertise so I may be missing something. 

Here's hoping Intel will update this package in the near term to prevent the need for this workaround

mattferreira
Novice
This is a good one. On my open support ticket Intel referred me to this thread

Thank you for your response.

It seems that our new driver is having an issue with Windows 11, we have a workaround listed on the following community thread .
0 Kudos
MRGENOUX
Beginner

Best wishes for a happy New Year to eveybody!

This is to confirm that disabling upgrade of E3100 drivers in the custom installation solved the issue.

Let's hope that Intel will repear the guilty component of the package in a very future release.

Congratulations to the ones that identified and solved the issue until Intel fix.

Kind regards,

Philippe

0 Kudos
Lexcyn
Beginner

The issue is if you have secure boot enabled, the driver does not pass signature verification (WHQL signed) so it will not install. Until Intel can properly sign this driver, the previous version works fine.

mattferreira
Novice
Thanks for the more in-depth analysis. How did you find the driver wasn’t signed? Purely curious for the next time I need to troubleshoot something similar
0 Kudos
MRGENOUX
Beginner
Dear All,
I am not competent enough to comment on whether the driver IS signed or not.... I can only testify that the solution you disclosed worked for me...
Kind regards,
Philippe
0 Kudos
tns49
Novice

They have now fixed the install package. Dated as 1/13/2021

0 Kudos
MRGENOUX
Beginner
Thanks you for the information !
The update you are refering to is not yet proposed through the channel "Intel Drivers and Support Assistant".
Kind regards,
Philippe Genoux
0 Kudos
tns49
Novice

Perhaps they are taking a phased upgrade approach. Because "Intel Drivers and Support Assistant" is exactly how I got the latest version. 

0 Kudos