Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7438 Discussions

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz Slow speed

Niko87
New Contributor I

Hi I recently bought a new laptop and I have problems with the download speed in Wifi, I state that before I had never had similar problems, this new hardware uses the Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz i updated the drivers, windows 10 version is build 1909, my modem router works fine with all other devices.
Tested with both 2,4ghz and 5 ghz band, but the speed is always very slow compared to the maximum band of my provider, for example I should download at about 10 MB / s and instead it does not exceed 4MB / s.

The only way I noticed that it seems to be fine is to move the laptop closer to the router, but this didn't happen with the old laptop because it was fine even when I was far away in the room and with the door closed.

I would like to know what the problem is and how I can solve it, thanks everyone

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Niko87
New Contributor I

Well I guess I solved it by simply moving the notebook to another part of the room, now it goes right at top speed and looks even better than expected.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Kaleidoscope
Beginner
I think your right. I decided to go back to the store I purchased it from and have them swap an older intel 8260ngw wireless card instead. Gonna take two weeks. I could have sent it in to Asus under warranty but my recent experience with them a week ago was a terrible one, which made me completely lose trust in their credibility for computer repairs. They would simply send it back to me and say nothings wrong if I tried anyways knowing Asus even under warranty.

P.S. I think the ax201 wireless card crashes when there is too much network conflict. While some can work around this by disabling and enabling the wireless card then waiting for a certain period of time to hopefully make it work again, the reliability of this card becomes too questionable for me to accept. On a good day the wireless card will have no trouble. On a bad one it crashes, goes on and off then we have to hopefully troubleshoot to get it working again.
0 Kudos
PaulTelInt
Beginner

Dear Niko, Intel support,

I have exactly the same problem with the same card, Windows 10 and Dell Latitude 7310 and 7320. Actually I received 7310 as a new company computer and it has 4 TIMES WORSE performance than my 3 years old computer in a room that is 5 meters from the router. I spent long hours with my Corp IT support then with Dell support - reinstalling everything, configuring router and wireless card and at the end they gave up and said - it must be something wrong with the machine. They sent me the new computer 7320 and the new computer has exactly the same problem.

My guess is it is an extreemly poor wireless card or it is an extreemly poor design with the antenna. 

Was anybody able to find any solution to this? Now I have two new computers and it's impossible to work - where different old devices get 80Mbps , this Dell with Intel card gets with good winds 20Mbps but connection gets to 1,2,3 Mbps and sometimes gets interrupted. Impossible to work with.  When I read Dell troubleshooter saying "please get few feets to your router" I thought they were joking....

0 Kudos
GrzegorzBak
Beginner

I had same issue with Dell Latitude 7320.

I have discussed it with several Dell agents and none of them helped me.

It took me 2 months to solve the issue but finally I have fixed it bymyself. As a results I have increased download speed from 25-40 Mbps to 200-300 Mbps.

The main issue is the design of the device. The WLAN antennas needed to move under the base chassis of the system. This particular design has a disadvantage over the standard design where the antennas are located in the LCDs backcover.

0 Kudos
Mike14
Beginner

Here's what worked for me:

I have a new Dell Inspiron 7706 2-in-1 laptop with the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 WiFi adapter.

I use the Linksys Velop mesh WiFi routers.  I get about 235 Mbps from my provider, but
my laptop was stuck with about 5 Mbps for download speed. I uninstalled the adapter,
I downloaded new Dell drivers, I downloaded the most current Intel drivers, etc., etc.,
and nothing worked.

I opened device manager, found the Intel AX201 WiFi adapter in the Network Adapters
group, I right-clicked on it, clicked on properties.  I clicked on the Advanced tab, and
in the property list, I chose the 2nd item:   802.11 N/AC/AX Wireless Mode

it was set on 4:  802.11AX     I changed it to choice 3:  802.11AC

Now I have about 235 Mbps download speed  (235 MHz).

I think my Linksys Velop routers can do 802.11AC but not 802.11AX.

0 Kudos
robinwilson16
Beginner

EDIT:

Sorry I posted my reply on the wrong thread as for me the AX201 works fine whereas the AX211 doesn't work reliably at all and speed is terrible and this is true of every device I have tested with that chipset (3):

Intel(R) 6E AX211 160MHz - Very slow connection - Intel Communities

Does not work properly:

Intel(r) Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz

Works properly:

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz

0 Kudos