Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7653 Discussions

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz drops Wi-Fi regularly and generates four event viewer logs, Netwtw14

Funk1
Novice

Hello,

I have an ASUS TUF Gaming F15 FX507ZU4 and the built-in Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 causes Wi-Fi to regularly disconnect shortly and restart the connection. This is not the expected behaviour. It should run without problems.

Driver used: 23.10.0.8. I also tried 22.250.1 and the one Windows installs when using Windows Update, 22.190.0.4. All have the same problem.

First event viewer log: 5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged)

Second event viewer log: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz : Interner Fehler aufgetreten. (internal error occured)

Third event viewer log: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz : Fehlfunktion des Netzwerkadapters wurde ermittelt. (malfunction of the network adapter has been found)

Fourth event viewer log: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz : Same as second.

In the attachments you can find screenshots of the event viewer logs and the System Support Scan.

How to fix?

25 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Funk1  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

I understand that you are having wi-fi dropping issues, I will do my best to assist you here. 

Have you tried a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers, using the latest wireless driver from your System Manufacturer?. If it doesn't work, please try this steps using the latest Intel wireless driver. Please follow the order described and check the notes: 

Note #1: Make sure to check you have all the Windows updates before doing the driver installation. Also, make sure to do this step disconnected from the internet (wi-fi or wired connection) since Microsoft updates drivers automatically and prevents doing the clean installation successfully. 

Note #2: Since this is a laptop, we recommend checking with your System Manufacturer and use the driver software provided by them to avoid potential installation incompatibilities. Intel supplies generic versions of Wireless Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the wireless driver software or software packaging. 

Note #3: In case you had to use the Intel driver, please find the instructions on how to install the driver in the download link below the "Detailed Description" section. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Funk1
Novice

Hello @Jocelyn_Intel ,

thanks for replying!

Yes, I have tried the clean uninstalling and installing methods several times now and I'm up to date on Windows update. This Asus model is the model I'm using. They have quite the old drivers provided there, 22.190.0.4, which is also the one installed when using windows update. I also tried the driver, V22.230.0.8, from the model you posted, FX507VU, but it led to the same result. Any driver I'm using results in the event viewer logs shown above and dropping the connection regularly, even if I'm using the recommended settings shown here .

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Funk1  

I am glad to assist you here. 

In that case, does this issue happen with another router or network? Can you please confirm this? 

When you go to the Device Manager>Network adapters, do you see a yellow bang on the Intel wireless adapter?

If so, what is the error code shown in the Properties?

Also, please attach a new SSU report so we can investigate further. Make sure you have the latest drivers and BIOS, including the latest wireless driver from Intel, the SSU should reflect these updates. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Funk1
Novice

Hello Jocelyn,

I used my mobile phone as a hotspot and with that there were no errors occuring for the minutes when used. The only yellow flag in the event viewer was the event 6062 - Lso was triggered with Netwtw14 as source. The second time I used this connection there weren't any errors either - the red errors appear when I connect to my stationary router, which is this one. Maybe there is some kind of incompatibility? The router supports Wi-Fi 5 and not 6.

In Device Manager > Network adapters there is no yellow bang. According to the device manager the device is working as expected.

I have attached a new SSU report and the report should be mostly in english. The driver used for the AX201 is 23.10.0.8.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Funk1  

Thank you for the information provided. 

The events 6xxx are not error events, so it is not a cause of concern. 

In this case, let me do some research about this. As soon as I have updates, I will get back to you. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
JessPan
Beginner

I have the same problem as you, did you find any solution?

Não é possível localizar a descrição da Identificação de Evento 5007 na origem "Netwtw14". O componente que gera esse evento não está instalado no computador local ou a instalação está danificada. Você pode instalar ou reparar o componente no computador local.

Se o evento foi originado em outro computador, as informações de exibição tiveram que ser salvas com o evento.

As seguintes informações foram incluídas com o evento:

\Device\NDMP50
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz

O recurso está presente, mas a mensagem não foi encontrada na tabela de mensagens

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Funk1  

Thank you for your time. 

Any new changes of router or adapter setting before this issue occur? 

Most APs should have channel set to Auto by default. We don't recommend changing this setting unless have a good understanding of Wi-Fi channels and know how to determine the least congested channel in the environment. 

Please try setting the Roaming Preferred Band Type: from "3. 5 GHz-Band preferred (2)" to "No Preference"  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @JessPan  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Informamos que o suporte às Comunidades Intel é fornecido apenas em inglês. Eu usei uma ferramenta de tradução web para traduzir esta resposta, portanto, pode haver alguma tradução imprecisa.

I understand that you are having event errors. 

Since you have a different wireless adapter and another system, please open your own thread and we will gladly assist you focused on your issue. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Funk1
Novice

Hello Jocelyn,

thanks for your suggestion.

I set the Roaming Preferred Band Type: from "3. 5 GHz-Band preferred (2)" to "No Preference", however the errors are still occuring, right at the start and then some time after the start, dropping the connection shortly.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Funk1  

Thank you for the information provided, but I am still missing information. 

Any new changes to the router or adapter setting before this issue occurs? 

Most APs should have channels set to Auto by default. Does the issue happen when the APs channels are set to Auto?

Following the thread of the previous post, we don't recommend changing this setting unless have a good understanding of Wi-Fi channels and know how to determine the least congested channel in the environment. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Funk1
Novice

Hello Jocelyn,

no, the router and adapter usually run on default settings. The small changes to the adapter mentioned above were only used because of the article mentioned in one of the earlier posts. The errors occur indepentendly of the settings I use afaik. All other devices run without problems.

For the AP auto config is the default setting; I tried to only allow 5 ghz, but the results are the same, with the adapter having more difficulties to connect to the router than with the default 2.4 ghz mode. I didn't try 2.4 ghz only mode because automatically the adapter is assigned to 2.4.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Funk1  

Thank you for your confirmation on this and the additional info. 

In that case, let me investigate more about it, I will get back to you once I have more updates. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Funk1
Novice

Hello Jocelyn,

I have custom log entries in the event viewer (Custom Views/Device Manager - Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz) additionaly to Windows Logs/System. There is an error event with the source "Kernel-PnP"; see attached image. This is the entry:

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_51F0&SUBSYS_00748086&REV_01\3&11583659&0&A3 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem64.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: Netwtw14
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters: vwifibus
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

Maybe it helps in finding the problem.

0 Kudos
Funk1
Novice

Hello Jocelyn,

I have tried something else and it seems to work for the minutes tested; there are no red errors in the event viewer. The partial solution comes from CatCat here : I seperated my Wi-Fi in the router settings to Wi-Fi 2.4 and Wi-Fi 5 and connected only to 2.4 - there are no errors. If I connect to Wi-Fi 5 the errors are happening. This is only a partial solution since the the AX201 SHOULD be able to connect to both flawlessly!

So it appears that the Intel driver is not compatible with the 5 Ghz Wi-Fi here AND it's not compatible with the 2.4 and 5 ghz band sharing the same SSID.

What can be done so that the Intel driver will work with both bands?

Edit: I have set the adaper's setting, "Wireless-Modus 802.11a/b/g" to "4: 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g" and the Wi-Fi also runs without errors for the minutes tested.

"5 GHz 802.11a" and "Dual Band 802.11a/g  (or a/b/g)" are producing the errors.

Edit2: Jocelyn, I kindly ask you to remove both my SSU reports from the posts above, as I cannot edit them anymore and the culprit's been found.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Long into the conversation, but this sounds to me more like a signal strength issue. This can be the result of a break (etc.) somewhere in the antenna hardware or the connector at the Wireless card is not properly attached.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Funk1  

Thank you for the information provided. 

Please answer or confirm the following questions: 

1] When did the issue start to occur? 

2] What did you do to trigger the WLAN disconnection? (e.g. while roaming between APs, surfing the Internet, and files download/upload) 

3] How often does the AX201 connection drop? 

4] As I understand, you are having connection issues with 5 GHz only, is that correct? 

5] What is the router model, channel width, mode, and security settings? 

6] Any issue with the Bluetooth driver 23.10.0.2 connection for AX201? 

7] Did you use any wi-fi extender? Is that the same issue if connected to other AP network environments (like Office or café)? 

Note: I have removed the SSU reports as you requested. Thank you for your help on that.

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Funk1
Novice

Hello Jocelyn,

happy new year!

1) The moment I wanted to use the Wi-Fi from the mentioned router - right from the start.
2) Afaik there is no special trigger. The connection drops frequently when I try to connect to any website or watching a YouTube-video.
3) Often or almost always at the start of the connection and after that frequently in a some minutes-interval.
4) Seems to be the case. 2.4 Ghz only works flawlessly as far as I can tell.
5) AVM FRITZ!Box 7590, Set Wi-Fi channel settings automatically (recommended) [checked], WPA encryption (WPA mode: WPA2)
6) No. I can successfully connect my mobile phone to the notebook via Bluetooth.
7.1) No.
7.2) The only other network I tested is the hotspot via my mobile phone. On the weekend I'll travel by train so I can test the train's Wi-Fi.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Funk1  

Happy New Year as well! 

Thank you for your answers. 

I will continue investigating. I will get back to you once I have updates or recommendations. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Funk1  

Thank you for your time and patience. 

After reviewing the case and based on the information provided, since the connection drop issue happened after starting to use the new router but AX201 works flawlessly on 2.4GHz and mobile hotspot connection, we suggest you check the router settings for 5 GHz environment or check with the router support. 

Also, identify possible local interference and improve it by following this article: Quick Checks to Improve or Fix Wi-Fi Connection Issues 

If the previous steps don't work, our final recommendation is to reach out to your System Manufacturer for further troubleshooting/assistance. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Funk1,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos