Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Updates...loss of bluetooth and wifi running at 10% of capacity

jules55012
Novice

I'm running a Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz in a new HP Envy on Windows 10 and all has been good until recently.

I noticed my Bluetooth would not recognise my wireless keyboard but after a system restore all was good with the keyboard although the laptop couldn't see any new Bluetooth Devices.

Yesterday I noticed the laptop wifi speed was 10% of capacity while all my other devices were running at 90-100% speeds.

After number of failed attempts to rectify, I went for the system restore again, only yo have a message say there was no restore points saved? Strange as I'd had done a restore only a few days before.

Looking at my updates there have only been two recently....

Intel Software component 1.63.1155.1 and Intel Software Component 1.41.2021.121 .

Are these to blame  and if so how can I rectify them to restore my wifi & Bluetooth capabilities?

Many thanks for any help.

Jules

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello jules55012,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Was it working before?
  2. Is this the original wireless adapter?
  3. Have you reported the issue with HP?

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
jules55012
Novice

Hi Josue

Thank you for your reply.

In response:

1. Yes everything was working perfectly before.

2. Yes everything is original. No mods, or recent downloads other than the Intel ones I discovered while troubleshooting.

3. I'm in the process of reporting this to HP as I've had no luck with the on-line troubleshooting guides.

As requested I've attached the detailed report.

Many thanks once again,

Julian 

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jules55012,

We recommend performing a clean install of the latest Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers provided by the system manufacturer since these drivers are customized. Follow these steps:

Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 

• Click the search and type Windows updates and click on that option.

• Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Clean installation of the Wireless Driver:

1- Download the latest customized driver from the Computer Manufacturer Support Websites and save the installer on the computer.

1. Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Uninstall the Intel Wi-Fi and Bluetooth driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

• Uninstalling the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth® Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005756.html

4- Restart the computer.

5- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

6- Repeat steps 3 through 5 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

7- Install the latest wireless driver provided by the system manufacturer.

8- Once the latest driver has been installed, enable the internet connection again.

If the issue persists, repeat the Clean installation process using the latest Intel® generic wireless driver available at Download Center.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10-and-windows-11.html

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
jules55012
Novice

Thanks Josue, 

I have downloaded the drivers and will give this a go over the next couple of days and will let you know how I get on.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jules55012,

Sure! Please test the drivers and let us know the results. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
jules55012
Novice

Hello Josue

So today I tried to remove the drivers without success. It would seem that even though I'm disconnected from the internet the Windows OS reinstalls the drivers on start up. I believe this is known as an 'inbox driver'?

Intel suggest to install the latest drivers, which I did from the HP site. There was an improvement in download speed from the 10% capacity to 56%, so still some way off ideal.

Is it worth trying the generic Intel drivers or will these be less than optimum?

Do you have any other thoughts on how we can reach capacity speeds?

Many thanks

Jules 

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jules55012,

Thank you for the information provided, in this case, please try using Intel's generic drivers and let me know if the issue persists. You can download them from the following links:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10-and-windows-11.html

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jules55012,

Were you able to test the generic drivers? 

Let me know the results. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
jules55012
Novice

Hi Josue,

I had to install off line without deleting the old drivers due to the points noted earlier.

Upon reboot the wifi speed initially returned to 100% capacity. But unfortunately on subsequent tests dome immediately after each other the speeds fell back to 50% and then 10%.

I am wondering if installing Windows 11 would help?

Thank you for your continued support with this. It's very much appreciated.

Jules

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jules55012,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jules55012,

In this case, for the wireless issues, please share with us the following information:

1. How are you checking the speed? What is the expected speed?
  2. Can you test the system on a different network? Does the issue persist?
  3. Have you checked for firmware updates for your router? Are you running the latest version?

For troubleshooting, please try using different wireless standards, Wi-Fi speeds will be limited by the lower of the two standards, please check our article "Recommended Settings for 802.11ax Connectivity" and check if after changing these settings the issue persists.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057574.html

Also please try changing the channel and the band on your router and test if the issue persists, you may find our article "Guide to configure Wi-Fi Channels and Channel Widths to Improve Network Connection" useful for this. Also, if you need assistance with the set-up of the router, please contact your router manufacturer for guidance on changing these settings. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058989.html

Regarding the issues with the Bluetooth, please provide me with the following information:

1. Can you try using a different Bluetooth device like a headphone or a cellphone to transfer files? Let us know the results. 
  2. Are you able to see the Bluetooth keyboard listed on the OS devices? You can check it on Windows settings --> Devices --> Bluetooth and other devices. If yes, remove the Bluetooth device and add it again. 
  3. Are you able to see the Bluetooth sign on the device manager? Is there any error code in the device related to Wi-Fi or Bluetooth? 

It is worth mentioning that the updates about Intel® Software Component 1.63.1155.1 and Intel Software Component 1.41.2021.121 are updates provided by the operating system, you can check them on the Microsoft* catalog.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=1.41.2021.121

In regard to the Windows update, we cannot ensure an increase in the performance if you update to Windows 11, HP as the manufacturer is the one that can validate the OS supported by the system and the rest of the components. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
jules55012
Novice

Thank you Josue,

To answer your questions:

1. By recommendation from my ISP I'm testing the speed with the following https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  The expected speed is 48-50Mbs download. 

2. I have another laptop (Fujitsu) and 4 Android devices on the same network and all other devices are running to speed.

3. Firmware is the latest and whole network running as it should with the exception of the HP laptop. 

Thank you for the further links I will try these.

Questions re Bluetooth:

1. My Android phone is paired but the file transfer failed. I did manage to connect to an external speaker however, it that worked fine?

2. The keyboard is showing and I previously managed to connect and working. This was only achieved by doing a system restore. I had removed the device in order to pair it again, but as it wouldn't I managed to get it back with the restore.

I'm a little reluctant to remove devices now to try reinstalling them as system restore points have all disappeared?  

3. There are no error codes in DM and when I've run a check through the HP Support Assistant everything is coming up with a clean bill of health.

Thanks also for the link to the MS catalog.

If I manage to progress anything I will let you know.

Best wishes

Jules

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jules55012,

You are very welcome, please let us know if you are able to test the recommended settings and the results they give. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello jules55012,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
jules55012
Novice

Hello Deivid

As yet I haven't had the opportunity to revisit this issue.

I will be relocating in the next 3-4 weeks so that might be an opportune time to reset the network and go from there, and incorporating your latest suggestions.

I will report back in due course.

Once again, many thanks for your diligence.

Best wishes

Jules 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello jules55012, 

Thanks for letting me know about the relocation. In this case, I would recommend you to open a new thread in case the issue persists, you can use this one as a reference in your new post.

I will proceed to close this thread, but you can open a new one as mentioned previously. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello jules55012,

As the last recommendation, please check with your system manufacturer as the issue doesn't seem to be related to drivers but to the OS causing issues on a recent update. 

Hope this information is useful, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
jules55012
Novice

Thank you Josue,

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the OS issue.

I eventually reset the laptop, removing and reinstalling the OS but maintaining my files.

I then reinstalled the various apps and software. I did note the the wifi speed was successfully restored and finally yesterday I managed to reconnect my Bluetooth keyboard.

Everything seems to be working as it should, so once again than you for all your help and assistance, it's been a learning curve, but another one under the belt!.

Best wishes

Jules  

0 Kudos