Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

Intel WiFi-6 AX201 - Link Speed

Brenski
Beginner

Hi

Bought 2 Asus Vivobook X513EA [BQ686T] laptops last week. Both are fitted with a Intel WiFi-6 AX201

the first (my wife's) connects at a solid link speed of 866.7Mbps. However, my machine has a constantly fluctuating link speed between 130Mbps and 650Mbps. Very rarely does it ever connect at 866.7Mbps - and even then only for a few seconds at a time.

Both devices are in the same location in the house. I've run the tests with only one laptop on and with both powered up - same results. I've also checked wifi settings in Device manager - both laptops are set the same.

Finally, I've moved my laptop close to router - still same results.

Is there anything else I can try?  What are the best settings to use in:

Wifi Status > Properties > Configure > Advanced

any help appreciated

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello Brenski,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Have you reported this issue with the OEM?
  2. Have you tried using the drivers provided by the OEM?
  3. Have you tested different SSIDs?
  4. On which band does the issue occur?

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Brenski
Beginner

Hi Josue

thanks for your reply.

Here's my answers:

1. Have you reported this issue with the OEM?

yes I have, but not yet received a reply.

2. Have you tried using the drivers provided by the OEM?

the laptop is brand new - the drivers in use are those that were installed by windows as part of initial setup (a few days ago). I can't see why OEM drivers would fix this issue - as I said, two identical laptops, bought from same retailer, with same OS build - one works fine 866Mbps link speed, the other doesn't.

3. Have you tested different SSIDs?

there's no point whatsoever for the reason above (2)

4. On which band does the issue occur?

again, this point is moot if one of two identical laptops works fine.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Brenski, 

In this case, we recommend performing a clean install of the latest wireless drivers provided by the system manufacturer. It is important for you to know that the drivers provided by the OEM are an optimized and customized version of the driver intended to work specifically with your system.

Follow these steps:

Check Windows* updates:

• Click the Windows Start button. 

• Click the search and type Windows updates and click on that option.

• Select Check for Updates and ensure you have the latest Windows* version. 

Clean installation of the Wireless Driver:

1- Download the latest customized driver from the Computer Manufacturer Support Websites and save the installer on the computer.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Uninstall the Intel Wireless driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections:

• Uninstalling the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth® Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005756.html

4- Restart the computer.

5- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

6- Repeat steps 3 through 5 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

7- Install the latest wireless driver provided by the system manufacturer.

8- Once the latest driver has been installed, enable the internet connection again.

If the issue persists, repeat the Clean installation process using the latest Intel® generic wireless driver available at Download Center.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

Let me know if after performing the clean installation the issue persists, in case it does, please provide me with the Intel® SSU report of both computers.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Brenski
Beginner

Hi Josue

I'm not trying to be obstructive here, but please explain:

why two identical laptops, bought from same retailer with same oS build and same identical wifi card and drivers would behave differently in the same location and proximity to the router?

I really could do with an explanation - rather than the same old "OEM drivers" suggestion. If one of two identical laptops works fine, then changing the drivers for the other will not fix whatever is wrong with the second laptop, will it?

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Brenski, 

In this case, it is important for you to know that having 2 systems (the same model) not working the same way is something expected, several reasons can be interfering and it is normal behavior. If the system is not meeting your expectations, since it is brand new, we recommend speaking with the system manufacturer and seeing if they have any options for you.

We give the wireless cards on stock settings to the system manufacturers and they decide how to install them and the way it will work. We don't have control over any modification or change of performance that they made to the computer where the card is installed. This is why we always recommend using OEM drivers and contacting them directly for assistance.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello Brenski, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos