Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel WiFi6 AX201 160Mhz L3 Issues with RADIUS Authentication

mbardello
Beginner

We have several Dell Latitude 3520's, more are coming, with an Intel AX201 wireless adapter in them, that are experiencing connectivity issues. These issues take place whether the connection is an 802.11ac or 802.11ax based. The problem occurs when our uses authenticate using 802.1x to gain access to our network. When first connecting our users will authenticate successfully and have access to the network but, when the reauthenticate interval expires L3 connectivity gets dropped. The user will authenticate successfully but L3 connectivity stops. To clear this up we have to either disconnect/reconnect to the WiFi or wait for the next reauthentication interval to expire and L3 connectivity will return.

We are an Aruba shop and at locations where this issue currently exists we are running Aruba IAP-305s and IAP-535s. We have worked with Aruba to rule out an issue with their WAPs via packet captures and debugs. When the issue occurs we can see the Aruba WAPs sending the icmp packets back to the laptop but the laptop does not see them.

What we tried so far without any change:

What has worked so far:

• When we use a PSK for the SSID there are no issues.

Laptop(s) details:

Dell Latitude 3520

NIC - AX201

WIN10 - 20H2 - build 19042.1288

I've attached an Intel scan to this posting.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JonAre
Novice

Hello again

The driver I recived yesterday resolves the problem with Wi-FI 6 AX cards in HP notebooks. After loosing IP and 5-8 times a day, there has been no problems since yesterday.

Next question, we also expirience problems with "Wireless-AC 8265" cards. Does the provided driver also adresse these issues ?

View solution in original post

99 Replies
ako90
Novice

Hi guys

I have now the newest intel driver 22.90 and the windows10 21h2 build installed.

The problem is still there. Client don't lose the connection but can't ping a internet address (package lost, no respond).

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello ako90,

Thank you for participating in this thread and sharing with us your experience. In this case, in order for us to better assist you, please create a new thread explaining the situation. Once you do that, you will receive the assistance you need. 

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello mbardello,

Were you able to check the drivers provided in the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,  

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DM3
Beginner

hi all 

@mbardello & @ako90 any progress on your end? 

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
ako90
Novice

Hi @DM3 

I have got a older driver (22.40.0) from the Intel wireless engineering team and will test this week.

But what I have found out for sure is that the issue not resolved with the new windows10 21H2 build update and the newest intel driver (22.90) for ax201 on 21h2.

0 Kudos
BenHecht
Beginner

We have the same issue.

Different notebooks from different manufacturers all with the Intel AX201 WiFi Chip.

We use Cisco access points with 802.1x certificate authentication.

ako90
Novice

The issue is not resolved with the 22.40 driver.

But the wifi connection will be disconnected and after 1 minutes connecting again.

0 Kudos
ako90
Novice

any news ???

0 Kudos
Aeroclub
Beginner

We have the same issue!

Clients: Dell Latitude 3520

WiFi adapter: Intel AX201

Driver version: 22.70.0.6 (OEM from Dell), 22.90.2 (Latest from Intel).

We use Cisco access points with 802.1x certificate authentication (WPA2-Enterprise).

Thekak
Beginner

My company is experiencing the same issue, and has been for over a month now.

Clients: Microsoft Surface 7's

WiFi adatpor: Intel AX201

Driver version: 22.80.0.9 (via Microsoft), 22.90.2 (most recent Intel).

Cisco WAP's with 802.1x certificate authentication (WPA2-Enterprise)

The lack of a response from Intel is extremely frustrating.  There's clearly something going on here, and has been for weeks.  

0 Kudos
ViktorMuransky
Beginner

Hi Thekak,

As written by mbardello earlier in this thread, Intel has a fix for this issue which will be released in January 2022

Until then you can downgrade your drivers to 22.60

We see as well improvement with extending of reauthentication interval in our Cisco WLC.

Viktor

0 Kudos
Thekak
Beginner

My apologies!  Somehow I had missed that post.  Great news if true. 

However, that still isn't a statement from Intel, but rather from a poster affected by this issue saying Intel told him they will fix it in Jan 2022.  I certainly hope so.

0 Kudos
johna8
Beginner

Could we some some official Intel statement? We have a large fleet of Surfaces - esp Surface Laptop 3 with the AX201 adapter. 
Also experiencing EAP-TLS authentication issues (just stuck on state - authenticating).

0 Kudos
DavidO_Intel

Hello All,

Just wanted to let you know that the root cause of the issue was found. There is a software release that will come with an specific workaround for this problem. 

Usually the process to release new software takes some time and Intel is expecting to release this by the end of January 2022. Please stay tune for this new software release. 

Once avialable for download we will notify the communtiy.

Thank you,

David O.

0 Kudos
johna8
Beginner

Is there any way we can get a beta version to test if this will resolve our issue?

My guess is that when Intel releases this end of January 2022, but then Microsoft will then have to push out via updates - this will be at least sometime Feb?

We might not have the luxury of waiting due to the large fleet of impacted devices talking 4000 here.

0 Kudos
DavidO_Intel

Hello Everyone.

Just wanted to let you all know that there is a new Wi-Fi driver release that contains a fix to the issue reported in this community.

The new driver is already avialable to the OEMs and Microsoft to be part of the Windows updates. 

I would recommend to check with your OEM and look for the newer wireless drivers with date of 12/27/2021. keep in mind each OEM has specific modifications to their wireless drivers. 

For those  who replied this community please expect a private message with additional details.

Thank you

David O.

0 Kudos
JonAre
Novice

We have over 600 HP notebooks facing issues as described in this thread. Our network consists of Aruba Controllers and AP's.

Not finding anything on OEM drivers from HP or MS update. Is it possible to get the driver you are speaking of David O.?

Regards

Jon

0 Kudos
DavidO_Intel

Hello @JonAre 

I have sent you a private Message. Please review your inbox.

thank you

David O.

0 Kudos
JonAre
Novice

Hello again

The driver I recived yesterday resolves the problem with Wi-FI 6 AX cards in HP notebooks. After loosing IP and 5-8 times a day, there has been no problems since yesterday.

Next question, we also expirience problems with "Wireless-AC 8265" cards. Does the provided driver also adresse these issues ?

DavidO_Intel

Hello @JonAre 

I am glad the driver fixed the issue. 

I checked with engineering however they original issue was seen only on Wi-Fi 6 wireless cards. At this point they have not seen this issue on 8265 adapter cards so we might think this could be a different problem. 

Please make sure to test by installing the latest driver avialable for the 8265 adapter which are (Package version 22.100.1) driver version 20.70.27.1 for the 8265 adapters

I would recommend to create a case so this can be investigated seperately.   https://customercare.intel.com

thank you

David O.

0 Kudos