Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel Wireless AC 9260 wakes the computer constantly in modern standby

Robrecht
Beginner

I can see in the windows Event Viewer that I constantly get 7025 and 7026 events:

7026 - Dump after return from D3 after cmd

7025 - Dump after return from D3 before cmd

This happens every few seconds while the lid is closed, it constantly wakes up the computer and drains the battery to around 18% and then it stops.

This is a new Dell Precision 5540 that I have had for a few months and it has always done this. I have tried different driver versions. Turning the computer off obviously prevents this from happening but I do not want to do that.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Robrecht,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you can you please provide the following log and information to continue with your support request.

-DXDIAG

•          Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R.

•          On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK.

•          On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information.

•          Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.

Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

- Did you try the driver versions from our website or from Dell’s website?

- Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system?

- Have you tried changing the power settings and testing the system with a different power plan?

- Please provide us with a screenshot or a picture of the way the adapter is configured for power management?

Note: To check this go to System in Control Panel. Select Device Manager from the left side of the window. Expand Network adapters and right-click on the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 and select Properties. Go to the Power Management tab.

Use the option under the reply window to attach the screenshot or picture to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Robrecht
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Please find attached the dxdiag.

- Did you try the driver versions from our website or from Dell’s website?

I have tried the version from the Dell website and the version from the Intel website. Both have the problem.

- Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system?

As I have mentioned before, the system has always done this. I've had it for a few months.

- Have you tried changing the power settings and testing the system with a different power plan?

I have googled far and wide and have tried a lot of things. As far as I could tell power settings have no effect on modern standy, it is no longer possible to configure which devices can wake the computer.

- Please provide us with a screenshot or a picture of the way the adapter is configured for power management?

There is no power management tab. See screenshot.

Kind regards,

Robrecht

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Robrecht,

In this case, we understand that you have tested both drivers; however, if you haven’t tried both with a clean installation please do and let us know if the issue persists.

Dell’s latest driver

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/precision-15-5540-laptop/drivers

Note: To find the right driver follow this path: Category> Network> Driver UWD Wi-Fi Intel AX210/AX200/AX201/9260/9560/9462 version: 22.10.0.7, A27> Download.

Latest Intel driver

.exe file

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30112/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

.zip file

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30113/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins

Instructions

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-io/wireless.html

Note: If the installation of the .exe file is unsuccessful you can try with the .zip version of the driver by following the steps below:

1-Save the .zip file from the driver download link on the computer.

2-Go to Device Manager.

3-Expand the Network Adapters category.

4-Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

5-Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

6-Repeat steps 3 through 5 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

7- Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter

8-Select Update driver.

9-Click Browse my computer for driver software.

10-Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

11-Click Have Disk.

12-Click Browse. Select the location where the driver files are located.

13-Click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

14-Reboot the computer when prompted

*Disconnect from the Internet after downloading drivers so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Updates.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Robrecht,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Robrecht
Beginner

Hello Victor,

What do you mean by clean install?

Kind regards,

Robrecht

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Robrecht,

A clean installation is a process in which the user removes all existing drivers from a specific component from the system in order to install a specific driver version.

It is worth mentioning that this process wipes out all the settings from the component related to the driver being installed; therefore, allowing the computer to start fresh with the newest driver.

Please give it a shot by following the instructions and using the drivers provided in the previous message.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Robrecht
Beginner

Hello Victor,

I did a clean install of the Dell website driver, same problem.

Then I did a clean install of the latest driver from the Intel website and it seems to be working! Computer stayed in sleep mode through last night.

I will monitor the situation for a few days to see if it is actually solved.

Thanks,

Robrecht

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Robrecht,

Please test it over and if it presents any problems don’t hesitate to reach out. If we don't hear from you we will send you a message on Monday just to verify, and if you don’t have any issues yet we will proceed to close the thread.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Robrecht
Beginner

Hello Victor,

I hope you had a nice weekend.

It happened again as initially described, every thirty seconds from Friday evening until Monday morning. A lot of electricity wasted.

What is the next step to resolve this issue?

Kind regards,

Robrecht

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Robrecht 

1. In the Power Management tab (part of WiFi  Adapter properties), you need to disable the  "Allow this device to wake your computer" feature. However, this tab is hidden in Modern Standby mode, so you can't do this now. First, you need to change the Sleep Mode in BIOS from Modern Standby to Legacy S3 Standby. Before you are doing this, prepare full backup of your drive, in case that something goes wrong.

2. Please read my instruction in this thread NUC10i7FNB Wake on Lan won't work. In this thread the problem was in the opposite direction, however, I think it may help you.

3. In addition, check in BIOS settings if all the settings of wake on LAN are disabled.

Leon 

0 Kudos
Robrecht
Beginner

Hello Leon,

Thank you for your input. I have looked for this option before, just checked again. This seems to be impossible with my laptop. There is no way to disable Modern Standby in the BIOS.

All of the wake on LAN settings are disabled.

Kind regards,

Robrecht

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Rebrecht,

I hope that either DELL will add such possibility (disabling Modern Standby) to the BIOS or either, Microsoft will correct this problematic feature. In the mean time, I assume that you can't use the sleep mode.

Leon

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Robrecht,

We are sorry to hear that our recommendations didn’t make a change, please allow us some more time to investigate this, and we will reach you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Robrecht,

Based on our research, and since your laptop is a very customized system, we believe that it will be better if you check this behavior directly with your laptop manufacturer. This behavior doesn’t seem to change even with their customized driver; therefore, you can report this issue with them directly and if they determine through testing that it has something to do with any of our software or any of our components they can work internally with us to fix it; otherwise, they will be providing further recommendations.

We will proceed to close this thread; however, if you need any additional information; you are more than welcome to submit a new question just remember that this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Robrecht
Beginner

Hello Victor,

My laptop is not a very customized system, it does not have any more special hardware than any other laptop. As far as I can tell, Dell doesn't even have a customized driver for the wifi card in this laptop, this seems to simply be an older version. I will try to contact them, but I have very low hopes for this.

A quick search reveals that a lot of people have this exact same problem with other laptops with this same wifi card, such as Microsoft Surface devices, which have nothing to do with my laptop.

I don't have the impression that you did any investigation, you never asked me for diagnostics or asked me to try anything but the most absolute basic things.

Kind regards,

Robrecht

0 Kudos