Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Intel Wireless-AC 9560 won't connect to 5 GHz under Linux

p4zkxvv
Beginner

Hi,

I just installed Fedora 37 (running kernel 6.0.18-300.fc37.x86_64) on my Lenovo X1 Yoga Gen4 with Intel Wireless-AC 9560, which works out-of-the-box thanks to included drivers, but to my surprise, my system won't ever roam or connect to 5 GHz for some reason.

I have made several troubleshooting steps such as, trying to install an older firmware for the chipset (9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-34.ucode according to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/wireless.html), look if the chipset somehow behaves differently under another power mode (power save, balanced or performance), completely disabled 2.4 GHz on my access point to see if the laptop would connect, but unfortunately not.. No other devices have any issues.

I would be grateful for some guidance on how to solve this.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @p4zkxvv

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

Please, answer these questions to have a better perspective of this issue: 

1. Is the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 the pre-installed wi-fi card in your motherboard or is it an integration (upgrade/ not the original card in the laptop)? 
  2. Did you make sure that your Laptop supports this OS with your Laptop manufacturer? 
  3. Was it working fine before? 
  4. Make sure that your wireless adapter is connected properly running # lspci command in the terminal and verify if the wireless adapter is recognized. This is an example of what should display:Step 4.png
  5. Make sure that the module is installed properly running # modinfo iwlwifi command. This is an example of the output:  step 5.png
  6. Type # lsmod | grep iwlwifi to make sure the driver is loaded, the output should be like this, If the result is empty, the driver hasn't been loaded. Most likely to be a distribution issue: step 6.png
  7. Type # dmesg | grep iwlwifi. If the result is empty, the driver wasn’t initialized and this is a distribution issue: step 7.png
  8. Type the # dmesg | grep “no suitable firmware found!” command, the result is not empty, that means that you don't have a suitable FW, you need to check here for supported FW or here for the latest versions. step 8.jfif

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
p4zkxvv
Beginner

1. Is the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 the pre-installed wi-fi card in your motherboard or is it an integration (upgrade/ not the original card in the laptop)? 

Preinstalled.

2. Did you make sure that your Laptop supports this OS with your Laptop manufacturer? 

From what I can see, this laptop is supported with Ubuntu or Fedora.

3. Was it working fine before? 

Yeah with Windows.

If you look in the (previous and newly) attached files, you can see in logs that both the kernel module and firmware is loaded. I tried to manually update the firmware files from linux-firmware-git, but the issue is still the same. What is the next step?

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @p4zkxvv

Thank you for the information provided. 

Please type: # dmesg | grep ASSERT  to collect the debug data for further research about this issue. 

If the output is empty, please follow this wiki: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/debugging  to extract dmesg and trace-cmd

If the output has value, please collect it from the wiki FW dump too. 

Also, please provide us with the following information so we can take a look into this: 

1. System configuration, 
  2. Replication steps, 
  3. Complete dmesg logs, please type # dmesg > dmesg.log 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
p4zkxvv
Beginner

I have attached the complete dmesg output, but I was unable to use trace-cmd for some reason:

[root@hostname ~]# trace-cmd record -e iwlwifi
trace-cmd: No such file or directory
  No events enabled with iwlwifi

Also, please provide us with the following information so we can take a look into this: 

1. System configuration, 

Aside from the laptop vendor and model, what more do you need?

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @p4zkxvv

Thank you for the information provided. 

I will proceed to investigate this issue, as soon as I have updates, I will post them here. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello p4zkxvv, 

Thanks for your patience. Based on the investigation, the Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 does support 5GHz channels and the dmesg log shows the link is working. While the VHT is disabled (due to the AP's incapability), AC 9560 is still successfully associated with the AP and the link is ready.

Instead of VHT (i.e. 11ac mode), it might be connected via 11a or 11n mode on 5GHz.

[ 30.234256] wlp0s20f3: authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

[ 30.242641] wlp0s20f3: bad VHT capabilities, disabling VHT

[ 30.242644] wlp0s20f3: 80 MHz not supported, disabling VHT

[ 30.244704] wlp0s20f3: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 1/3)

[ 30.368937] wlp0s20f3: authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

[ 30.378591] wlp0s20f3: send auth to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 1/3)

[ 30.411593] wlp0s20f3: authenticated

[ 30.421536] wlp0s20f3: associate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 1/3)

[ 30.438647] wlp0s20f3: RX AssocResp from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (capab=0x1411 status=0 aid=13)

[ 30.443647] wlp0s20f3: associated

[ 30.627674] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlp0s20f3: link becomes ready

I recommend you check with a different AP or contact the AP manufacturer. You may need to update Fedora's wpa_supplicant and check if the issue improves.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos