Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel® Wireless-N 7260 - slows

SGowr
Novice

Hi,

I have a problem with Intel Wireless-N 7260. The card works just fine, but after a few minutes transfer slows down to about 4Mb/s (802.11n -> 802.11b?).

I tried with all drivers and always have the same problem (now I have ,16.6.0.8). Sometimes the card loses connection and I must reset it.

Windows 7 64bit Professional on Lenovo Z510

Sorry for my english.

301 Replies
RS17
Beginner

TGunnar please inform if you will change new Dell card. I'm want also change wifi card, because Intel cant solve problem with 7260 from last few months.

0 Kudos
SBenn3
Beginner

Recently acquired a new Lenovo X240 and Windows 7. Latest Intel drivers after numerous problems including intermittent drop outs, slow speeds and often timeout when connecting to a wireless access point. Latest drivers appear to have significantly helped the slow speeds which is an improvements.

Unless I disable the UAPSD setting on the adapter the slow association and association time outs still persist but at least this work around stops me wanting to ditch this machine and the AC7260.

Trouble is turning off all the power saving features canes the battery and significantly reduces the time I can run on the batteries which is still quite frustrating and should not be something I have to do.

Looking at the forums issues have been on going for months. Is there a single place where the current issues with these cards are documented with all known workarounds but more importantly the current issues list and approach to fixing. Appreciate most manufacturers are often unwilling to admit to faults but this appears to have been going on for a while and a merging of issues, fixes and workarounds with some open dialogue at scale to capture issues might help resolve this problem faster

JDefi
Beginner

I've been working on a Dell Inspiron 7537 with Windows 8.1 and a Wireless-N 7260 + Bluetooth adapter with the same issue - throughput drops to below 10mbps after ~15 minutes when connected to any wireless network. I can observe other devices connected to the same access point maintaining 54mpbs or 150+ mbps if connected to the 5ghz band.

We are running the current driver and have tried the various recommended power setting changes found throughout this forum. Dell technical support was of no help.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Joe_Cosine wrote:

I've been working on a Dell Inspiron 7537 with Windows 8.1 and a Wireless-N 7260 + Bluetooth adapter with the same issue - throughput drops to below 10mbps after ~15 minutes when connected to any wireless network. I can observe other devices connected to the same access point maintaining 54mpbs or 150+ mbps if connected to the 5ghz band.

We are running the current driver and have tried the various recommended power setting changes found throughout this forum. Dell technical support was of no help.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can try Dell Wireless branded WiFi cards as they may perform better with your dell. For example this Dell WiFi card: Dell Wireless 1530 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Dell_Wireless_1530_Wireless-N_WLAN_Mini-Card https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Dell_Wireless_1530_Wireless-N_WLAN_Mini-Card . You do lose Bluetooth with the WiFi swap though.

0 Kudos
RLubi
Beginner

I "solved" my problem with the Intel N-7260 on my new Dell. The story (jump to the third-to last paragraph if you want to see the solution immediately):

About three weeks ago I bought a Dell Inspiron 15r-5537 with an N-7260. My other pc's average about 55mbps speedtest.net download speed (Windows 7 and XP, TP-Link single band N router). But all the Dell could muster was about 17mbps -- although when I would insert a USB-stick wireless card it would immediately get 50mbps, and about 60 wired. Tried all kinds of driver and settings changes, and even some fiddling with router settings, and got it as high as about 23mbps download. I.e., maxing out at G-like speeds, even though the connection status to the router says N (usually indicating 130mbps like my other pc's). During all the experimenting some things I tried (that others recommended) actually made things a good deal *worse*, especially some router changes.

Anyway, Dell support at first tried to tell me that this is normal, and gave me some silly explanation about why I should *expect* a wireless USB stick to do better. When I persisted they had someone come out and replace the N-7260 with a new one. Result: No change.

Moved to the just released driver, which added maybe 1 or 2 mbps. Meanwhile Dell said the lack of improvement from the card replacement meant they needed to walk me through a system recovery to factory settings. (??!!!)

I was debating whether to return the pc (still about week left on the 30-day return policy), and decided that -- as a "last ditch" -- since the Intel Centrino N-6205 in my Lenovo Thinkpad W530 gets me the full speeds I should get, I would buy one of those and install it in the Dell myself. (Only took a couple minutes, but of course I followed the usual precautions such as removing power and battery. Just required carefully popping out the keyboard to expose the N-7260, and then carefully swapping in the N-6205 while ensuring the antenna connections and holding screw stayed as before.)

I wasn't real optimistic, but I powered up, got online, immediately got 46mbps download on speedtest.net. Then changed the card properties to match those I previously honed in on in my Lenovo, and the Dell immediately shot up to the (proper) 57mbps the next time!

So for me the full solution was replacing the N-7260 with a different Intel card. Why that should be necessary is perplexing. Maybe for some reason the N-7260 just doesn't play nice with TP-Link? I have my doubts that that has anything to do with it, but who knows? Anyway, I was happy with the outcome and wanted to share.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Rick441, did you try disabling uAPSD in the adapter properties before swapping the card?

0 Kudos
RLubi
Beginner

joe_intel, yes, I did try disabling uAPSD in the adapter properties. The performance was actually very consistent, but at only about 33-40% of the internet download speed I should be getting with my N 2.4ghz network. I use the laptop primarily in two different places, one that has a G network and one that has an N. Using it with the G network alone I never would have suspected a problem.

0 Kudos
DSkov
Beginner

Hey Joe.

Please fix the issues with this card.

I work as a tech guy at a company and we sell alot of laptops with Intel wifi cards

the 7260 Card is giving our customers alot of problems.

In Lenovo, Fujitsu Siemens, Dell laptops.

Tried all the things in the forum.

Hope a driver update will be ready soon.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

nostrike

As a temporary fix In the mean time, force your client's laptops to use b and g mode by turning off HT mode on the advanced properties. It helps them get more stable speeds at the cost of limiting the internet throughput to 15 Mbps to 20 Mbps as well as less range due to lower PHY rates. Hope this helps with your clients' dilemma.

0 Kudos
RVinc3
Beginner

I mounted the 7260 Ac wifi after a few hours the card is blocked and the speed drops to 11MB/sec. if I restart the wifi all work again but after a few hours it crashes again

Driver 16-5-3-6.

I've updated it with the 17-0-2-5

the card does not reach the performance of the original softwear (more or less the speed is 1/3)

Adjusted all the power saving mode but the problem continues to persist.

We hope for a quick update of the drivers

Asus Vivo Book i3 4gb ram

Roberto

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

I got fed up with the 7260AC on my other laptop so I switched to ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac mini pcie and then there's no more slowing down to a 2 - 11 Mbps and never coming back up to optimum speeds. I've had my laptop on for 2 days and WiFi never even slowed down from its 866 Mbps (granted I'm at the same room as the router but 7260 still slows after a while regardless of range but this occurrence is around twice per week)

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Our engineering team is currently working on a new driver but while this is happening you may want to optimize your wireless network as suggested in the articles below. Remember you can also disable uAPSD in the adapter properties in case this causes trouble.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/CS-028449.htm Wireless Networking — How do I improve my 802.11n wireless performance?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031509.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Possible interference by other wireless devices may impact 802.11n performance

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006321.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Access Point (AP) firmware updates may resolve wireless network issues

0 Kudos
RA6
New Contributor I

I really wonder if a lot of the users on these thread has made sure that their Wireless Router and/or Access Point has going to the router/AP website and made sure they are running that it is running the latest Firmware. I know a few routers companies have made firmware updates address dropping connectivity and Wireless router speed drop. I know both Linksys/Cisco and Netgear have released Firmware updates addressing both these issues.

0 Kudos
IKind
Beginner

Joe,

thanks for the tip with "disable uAPSD in the adapter properties ".

Worked in my case - not ideally, but the speed doesn't drop down to ridicules 2 Mbps and no more "no network response"...

Waiting fro the new driver..... how long will it take?

Ingo

0 Kudos
GBals
Beginner

What is "uAPSD" and how does one disable it?

0 Kudos
JScot5
Beginner

1) Open Windows Device Manager though the control panel.

2) Expand "Network Adapters".

3) Right click "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260" and click "Properties".

4) Click the advanced tab in the device properties window. Scroll down to the item "U-APSD support" in the list on the left of the window, click to select it and change to "disabled" in the right of the window.

5) Click OK to accept the changes.

For those willing to try it there is also a new PROSet/Wireless driver posted on Station-Drivers.com.

http://station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/func-startdown/743/ Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software Version 17.0.5.8 WHQL

0 Kudos
fhabi
Beginner

hi all,

is this the "new" driver intel was working on for such a long time?

if so....it´s as bad as the others

i lost conection 2 times since the driver was installed, the 5 ghz part is great, i have download speeds of around 22 MB/s (upload 11 MB/s) with 1m distance from my old "N" router.

when i swap to 2,4 ghz, without moving laptop, i get from 700 KB/s to 5 MB/s, sometimes the speed drops to 0

i swapped from broadcom to intel because i want a new ac router

the broadcom card had 18 MB/s download, 15 MB/s upload on 5 ghz, on 2,4 ghz upload 12 MB/s and download 15 MB/s

intel can´t really expect that we are always sitting directly in front of the router

i have read that these problems exist over a year now

what´s wrong with intel?

why can´t they get this to work?

it´s "intel" and not a small chinese jungle company

i can´t believe it

get a proper engineer who knows what he is doing......or 2.....buy them from broadcom, they know how to do it

a frustrated user

0 Kudos
ERice
Beginner

Advis, this trick has worked for me so far. I got a speed increase from 114 mbps up to 300.

Just to make sure, turning off uAPSD doesn't damage the computer in any way, right?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JScot5
Beginner

I'm very happy to hear that helped you with your problem. You have my personal reassurances that disabling uAPSD will not in any way harm your device. As it is merely a power saving feature the worst that can happen by disabling it is that power consumption may increase a little.

0 Kudos
RLubi
Beginner

erice5005 wrote:

Advis, this trick has worked for me so far. I got a speed increase from 114 mbps up to 300.

Just to make sure, turning off uAPSD doesn't damage the computer in any way, right?

Thanks

Sounds like you're referring to the connection speed from the router, i.e., what shows as "speed" in the Network Connection Status box? Right? I'm not sure why many people focus on that instead of internet download (and upload) speed. I likewise obtained 300mbps connection to the router at one point during my experimentation with various N-7260 drivers and settings, but that was of no benefit since I was still only getting about 20mbps download from the internet (based on a test at speedtest.net) --which is much lower than my level of cable service is supposed to provide with an N-capable wireless card and router plus the proper cable modem. Since I swapped in the Intel Centrino N-6205, the connection to the router only shows 130mbps -- which is what I'm actually used to for that stat, but that's FINE because I am now getting an internet download speedtest of 57mbps. Much faster internet, which is the bottom line number that counts for most people, not the speed of the connection to the router. That said, I could see where a connection-to-router speed of 130mps could be a limiting factor for people who subscribe to a higher broadband speed tier than the 50mbps tier I subscribe to (though I'm not sure what the cutoff point is where it would start making a difference).

0 Kudos
ERice
Beginner

I was referring to the connection speed of the router. At this point, I am realizing that I am still experiencing internet connection speed slows and I am also experiencing random drops in connection entirely. I know this is also a problem that often occurs with this WiFi adapter. Does anyone have any sort of fix for this problem at the moment or do we have to wait for the next driver to come out. I am currently running the latest driver, 17.0.3 for Windows 8.1

EDIT: I was messing around with the advanced settings for my adapter within Device Manager and I have found some success in changing the HT mode from VHT to HT. Not sure if anyone has already tried this.

0 Kudos