Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7438 Discussions

Intel centrino wireless-n 2230 keeps dropping connection.

idata
Employee

Hi I've been looking through some of the threads but i cant really find an answer to my issue.

I recently got my self a Dell Inspiron 17R SE and it comes with the Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230.

I cant really do much stuff on the internet or play online games as the internet keeps dropping out.

I have updated the driver and still nothing. I really don't know what else to do any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

some more information. I know its not the internet as my family can use there laptops/Games consoles without any internet issues.

256 Replies
GBeau2
Beginner

I have read all 15 pages of this discussion after experiencing ongoing problems with my Dell Inspiron 15R/Windows 7 laptop with the Centrino N-2230 wireless card for the last several months.

I bought the laptop in July of 2013 and had no connection issues until the last few months, when things changed. The symptoms were loss of connectivity on a frequent basis, along with dramatic drops in connection speed when it did stay connected. Aside from the constant connection drops it was the speed that was most problematic. My connection is usually about 20 to 25 MBPS, but most often when it was having difficulty it would drop to 0.25MBPS and stay there until I reset the model and router. My old dial-up connection was faster!

Initially I thought the problem was my old Linksys WRT54 wireless router, so I went out and bought a new one, a Linksys EA6300. That made absolutely no difference. My internet provider came and checked the connection, replaced the modem, and still, no change. I began to suspect a problem with the Dell laptop and that is when I discovered this conversation. I disabled Bluetooth with no effect, changed the channel to no effect as well. I kept looking for new drivers and although Windows told me they were up to date, I discovered the new (May 2014) version on Intel's site and installed those yesterday, also to no effect. It was infuriating.

Finally I took the advice to roll back the drivers and remove the files containing the later versions from my PC. I did this about 24 hours ago and so far, everything is fine. I note that the driver installed by Windows after doing this is named as an Intel driver dating from 2012. It seems that the updated versions were what was causing the problem. Remarkable. I hope this helps others having this issue.

0 Kudos
GBeau2
Beginner

I had Dell Service in to fix an unrelated problem and asked the tech what he knew. He was well aware of it and said that if he had known he would have brought a DW1700 (?) card along and replaced it with that since he has encountered the problem with the Intel card quite often. In his words, "Wireless is one of those things that's supposed to just work", and these don't.

In my case, rolling back the drivers appeared to work for a while but now it is acting up again - maybe an update added the newer, problematic drivers again. Or maybe the rollback doesn't fully address all the issues. The Dell tech did show me where the card is located and how to swap it out, so I might end up doing that myself.

MBree
Beginner

Thanks - wireless cards aren't that expensive. There doesn't seem to be a good way that Intel N-2230 will play nicely with Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo P500.

I have frequent times where 2 other devices connect to my wireless hotspot, but the Intel N-2230 will take 10-15 minutes of resetting and other aggravations before it will connect.

0 Kudos
JFran13
Beginner

Does anyone have experience with the 6200 or 6205 and do they have any similar issues like the 2230/6235 cards?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may continue reporting your issue with this adapter as indicated here: /message/233145# 233145 https://communities.intel.com/message/233145# 233145

0 Kudos
MBree
Beginner

I have finally had decent Intel wireless performance for about 2 weeks; only 1 dropped connection.

Basically I turned off both Windows and Intel attempts to update and control the driver. I found the solution on Lenovo forum...however it's not lenovo specific and you may have to create a profile to follow the link in the title.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Lenovo-Y510P-Wi-Fi-intel-n-2230-Problem-Solved-and-some/td-p/1549806 Lenovo Y510P - Wi-Fi (intel n-2230) Problem Solved (and some performance problems)

(i use Windows 8.1 64 Bit now, works also in Windows 8)

-First of all prevent Windows install new drivers automatically

(Here is a good guide http://www.microcentertech.com/tech_center/DB/read_article.php?faqid=./HowTos/HOW5006661B.htm http://www.microcentertech.com/tech_center/DB/read_article.php?faqid=./HowTos/HOW5006661B.htm)

-Right Click the windows icon Left Bottom Corner of the screen

-Click Device Manager

-Expand "System Devices"

-Right Click "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface"

-Click Uninstall (Also tick the "uninstall software for this device")

> Note: if you try to disable this, Intel will reactivate it - it's almost sinister how Intel will not allow it to be muzzled, it must be killed. Go ahead and try for yourself to just disable it first.

-On device manager buttons, press "scan for hardware changes"

-It finds but cannot install driver, marked the device with yellow mark

-Right click this device and disable it

Thats all. I think anyone having problem with wi-fi and smoothness of system, should try this.

BEFORE THIS PROCEDURE:

-Weak wi-fi signal

-Frequent connection drops

-Some performance issues

AFTER THIS PROCEDURE:

-Wi-fi signal is %100 (for same wi-fi configuration in my home)

-No connection drop

ALSO COMES MORE

-Better boot-up and shut-down times

-When SLI enabled, game to desktop switch was slow (Alt+Tab) , now it is faster (still not fast as one GPU mode)

-Mouse was laggy a little, now it is ok

Note: the post on Lenovo site mentions using an older Inder Driver, I'm using a new one driver release 15.12.0.6.

Cheers,

Mike

Windows 8.1 with Lenovo P500 updated bios to V1.21

0 Kudos
SLesh
Beginner

This problem finally went away for me with this version of the driver: 15.12.0.6 - 2/25/2014. I would be interested in knowing if this was 'the magic update' for anyone else.

A word of caution for anyone contemplating replacing the 2230 circuit, at least on a Toshiba P75-A7200. First of all, DON'T if my experience is relevant. If the latest driver doesn't

fix the problem, then it probably has something to do with the type of wireless router to which you are talking. That could still be Intel's problem of course. But it might be fixable via

software if you let them know.

If, however, you are getting desperate, make sure the replacement circuit fits in the allotted space on your laptop. The one I purchased for my Toshiba, recommended by a poster

to this thread (not specifically for my laptop), didn't. And be very careful. The connectors, at least on my Toshiba P75-A7200, are very easy to damage. I lucked out just re-installing

the original circuitry for one final test prior to purchasing a new replacement laptop.

Just sending out a replacement circuit if one is required is not likely to be a very good move on Intel's part. It would have to be installed by someone who knows what they are doing.

Nor is sending out a USB replacement dongle. Having something project out from a laptop USB port is a pain - and an invitation for more damage to the laptop if you accidentally snag

the dongle.

Just my two cents

0 Kudos
LPerr3
Beginner

world2steven -

I think from what is going on here (and from my experience with the same) is that Intel has been completely deficient in their response to this issue. If it were as "simple" as a software fix, any decent company would have fixed it by now (this has been a problem since early/mid-2013).

And, as you can read, many of us have also replaced our routers.

I think, also, that most folks know to look for specific advice regarding replacement equipment from their manufacturer or reputable supplier. I am sorry this was such a problem for you.

Dongle, or not to dongle? That seems to be where most of us are landing... or obtaining new, non-Intel, replacement equipment. Glitchy software is not where it's at...

0 Kudos
SLesh
Beginner

USHistorian -

From your response, I conclude you are still having the problem and assume you have tried Intel's latest driver. SOMETHING made the problem go away for me. I would like to know if it was the latest driver release. One purpose of my post was to see if that release fixed the problem for many of the others contributing to this discussion. I agree that even if the solution was a "simple" (or not so simple) software fix, Intel has been deficient in responding to it in a timely manner. But the goal (I would assume) of most posters here is getting the problem fixed, not assigning blame.

I really doubt that you can get much advice from a manufacturer or reputable supplier about replacing equipment that was not intended to be replaced. My 'advice' was simply to be careful because the process isn't as simple as replacing a card in a desktop PC. I don't know what "most folks" know but I didn't know this or I wouldn't have tried.

RE: dongles - I am no longer in the market. But for those of you who are, is it possible to get a wireless replacement that would fit in a memory card slot? That would seem like a better solution than a dongle because you could just leave it in place.

Steven

0 Kudos
DI1
Beginner

Same annoying problem with an HP pc with Intel wireless-n 2230.

It is really anoying i cannot keep an stable conection for more than 1.5 min.

Sad to also see that Intel support does NOT work with the minimum courtesy to the customers.

@INTEL MORE THAN A YEAR TO FIX A CRITICAL RECOGNIZED PROBLEM

0 Kudos
JSum
Beginner

I also having issue with my Lenovo Y510P. Just got off the phone with Lenovo tech support and they are saying the hardware is working as designed even after he agreed that he is seeing the wifi speed throughtput fluctuates. The wifi speed would start up at 4-5MB/s and then drop down to 1MB/s and climb back up again. The fluctuation is unpredictable. The hardware guy told me to call Lenovo software support, not sure what that is going to do.

I did the exact same test with an Acer netbook 4 years older than this Y510P and it have no problem with the wifi speed being constant.

Using driver 15.12.0.6, this is the latest driver that will install using the windows driver update option.

I tried Breen solution above and there was no help.

0 Kudos
JFran13
Beginner

I just replaced my 2230 with an Ultimate N 6300 card (3 streams, no Bluetooth) since I didn't expect it to be solved by any new drivers that might be released in the future and from my experience with the 2230 card and basically no progress in this thread from Intel's side whatsoever.

Anyways, the 6300 works flawlessly. No more connection dropouts which were probably caused by the Bluetooth signal (eventhough it was disabled) due to a badly designed product.

AArbo
Novice

In case it helps for others, my connection problems happens as soon as I pair a device with the built-in Bluetooth Adapter on the 2230. Once I either disable it using the built-in Windows Network setting or unpair the device, the connection steadies itself. Intel needs to also release the updated driver for Windows 8.1 (6.3) profile instead of using the (6.2) Windows 8 inf. While this might not be why there is connection issues, its a start.

BB4
New Contributor II

Andrw0830 wrote:

In case it helps for others, my connection problems happens as soon as I pair a device with the built-in Bluetooth Adapter on the 2230. Once I either disable it using the built-in Windows Network setting or unpair the device, the connection steadies itself.

I had this issue with the AC7260 adapter. When I manually set the broadcast channel to 1 on the router 2GHZ band, the issue resolved. Interference.

If your router channel is set to "Auto", change it to 1.

0 Kudos
JFarr7
Beginner

Thanks Andrw0830!

I disabled the 'Generic Bluetooth Adapter' in Device Manager and instantly the WiFi went to full strength (full speed too) and has been 100% stable for over two full days now!!

I've had to use a plug-in mouse again but don't care, my connection is stable and that's all that matters! I hope this gives the Intel engineers another place to investigate the problem.

0 Kudos
HNgo4
Beginner

This is ridiculous. I uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers, research every single option and tried every single combination for this wireless adapter. Still drop connections and not consistent. This is a hardware defect if Intel can't fix this for over a year. Be a responsible company and try to resolve the issue instead of making people wait for years.

0 Kudos
John_S_Intel
Employee

Have you tried the software just posted today?

0 Kudos
HNgo4
Beginner

Thank you John, just know my frustration stems from liking Intel quality and reliability and finding a product that doesn't meet Intel's quality after about a year and people voicing their frustrations on it with only a few updated driver releases.

I'll try the latest release and see how that goes.

0 Kudos
bx2
Beginner

They've only made problems worse. I'm getting more drops then before.

0 Kudos
John_S_Intel
Employee

If you're willing to do more troubleshooting, please open a support case with our contact center and ask them to escalate your issue so we can do more in-depth troubleshooting. The drivers we just released shouldn't make the problems you have worse. We need to take a look at some logs on your system to figure out what may be going on.

Should problems continue to persist, contact Intel Customer Support.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
AArbo
Novice

Ok so after trying the latest driver, I had steady connection with Bluetooth enabled and next time I turned on my computer it started dropping again, so I created the service request and told them you said to escalate the issue. Because I didn't know where Firmware version was located, I just used my Hardware Id's from device manager.

0 Kudos