Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel(r) Wireless-AC 9560 [Does not deliver full speed] [Slow]

yb-ressap
Novice

Hi,

I have an Intel(r) Wireless-AC 9560 adapter in my laptop (Legion Y540).

The download speed reaches a maximum of 30Mbps using speedtest(dot)net.

In practical use, the download speed stays between 14-20Mbps.

My internet subscription connection speed is 100Mbps. The adapter cannot even utilize 30% of the speed!

I'm using Windows 10 Version 20H2. Download speed was just as slow using Windows 10 Version 1909.

Bluetooth Version 22.50.0.4

Wi-Fi Version 22.50.1.1

I'm hoping that someone has an idea as to why this is happening.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers from manufacturers website (Lenovo).

I also tried generic drivers from Intel website.

If you have a special way/sequence of uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, I'll be more than willing to try your suggestions.

My aim is to find out whether this is a hardware (laptop or Wi-Fi adapter) or software (Windows 10 or drivers) issue as the specifications indicate that the adapter is capable of delivering 1.73Gbps.

**The issue is either Intel AC 9560-related or Y540-related.

• I tried a small USB2.0 Wi-Fi adapter, and it can deliver over 54Mbps.
  • I used the ethernet port on the same laptop, and it delivered the full speed 100Mbps.
  • I tested 5 different devices, 3 laptops and 2 smartphones, and all of them can get 54-100Mbps. (Not a router issue)
  • The issue persists when I connect to a different network.
  • The issue occurs when connected to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands alike.
  • Windows, downloads and installs updates automatically, is up to date. If there is a KB file that you know I should download and install manually, let me know.
  •  Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity have been applied.

Regards,

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
yb-ressap
Novice

I tried to clean install Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers-- following @n_scott_pearson instructions.

I noticed that Windows won't fully remove these drivers. I ticked the box "Delete the driver software for this device." Windows just reinstalls AC 9560. Then, the option to "Delete the driver software for this device" is no longer available.

Also, all of known networks, and paired devices are kept after this uninstallation process.

In addition, whenever I reboot the laptop, Wi-Fi is automatically re-enabled.

How can I completely remove the drivers, their settings, and data?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you followed my instructions exactly, then what you are describing will not happen. My instructions say to disable Internet access and keep it disabled. To have happen what you describe, then Internet access was NOT disabled! Follow the instructions exactly! If the laptop is automatically reenabling wireless on a reboot, turn this off! Disable you wireless router if you have to.

...S

0 Kudos
yb-ressap
Novice

First off, no need to get all defensive and aggressive.

I did keep "internet disabled" (whatever that means) the first time around. Windows just kept on switching Wi-Fi back on (not connected to any network; i.e. no internet access.)

I admit, I might have shutdown the PC after I uninstalled the drivers rather than a reboot (my mistake.) I guess this is why drivers weren't fully removed.

Secondly, I followed your instructions again. This time I disabled the Wi-Fi adapter to prevent Windows from automatically turning it back on.

This time, Windows couldn't switch Wi-Fi back on. Also, drivers weren't reinstalled automatically. Wi-Fi networks were forgotten.

However, the problem persists. No improvements on download speed.

0 Kudos
yb-ressap
Novice

I was fiddling around with my Router. I tried different non-overlapping channels to no avail.

However, changing the channel width to 80Mhz did improve the speed a bit in 5Ghz band.

In practical use, download speed now fluctuates between 23 and 31Mbps.

Speedtest(dot)net results show 30-36Mbps for download.

And, yes, I disconnected all other devices from the router while testing the speed.

Needless to say, this is not a solution. Also, changing channel width to 40Mhz on 2.4Ghz band had adverse effects. I reverted channel width back to 20Mhz.

Keep in mind, other devices are not experiencing this problem. And, connecting 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi USB adapter gives higher speeds. 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello @yb-ressap

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. 

We reviewed the information provided, and based on what you tested, your best bet is to check directly with the laptop manufacturer. This is because this behavior indicates a possible hardware problem with the wireless card and it is best to obtain a physical assessment of the system to diagnose it.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos