Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Intel(r) dual band wireless-ac 3168 , slowing down my connection

NoHyper
Beginner

Hi, I came across this issue a very long time ago and have been trying to fix it even sense, I've went through a ton of different ways to fix it and thought maybe you guys could help. Usually I'd be getting around 80-100mb/s download speeds when testing on my phone, but on my PC I usually get anywhere from 1-5mb/s. If anyone has any answers, anything would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

From a software standpoint, I would be looking at a problematic driver installation. I would first try a clean install of the drivers. Here is my process (follow it exactly):

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30434 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30515.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  1. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  2. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  3. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled.
  4. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Wireless-AC 3168. If none, go to Step 9.
  5. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless-AC 3168 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Go to Step 5.
  7. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  8. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  9. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  10. Install the Wireless driver package.
  11. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  12. Enable Internet access.
  13. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
NoHyper
Beginner

I just went through this exact process, and it helped. It looks like the speed went from 1-5mb/s to about 20-30mb/s. Still nowhere near the 80-100mb/s I usually get. I've also noticed that sometimes the connection is stronger then other times, it's not consistently terrible. I feel like that might be what is happening.

0 Kudos
NoHyper
Beginner

Just did another internet speed test, went back down to 2mb/s

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, have you verified that the two antenna leads are properly connected to the 3168 module? 

0 Kudos