Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7506 Discussions

Intel wifi 6 ax201, very high latency over wifi

LELord
Beginner

Hello, recently after moving to another country, when I connect to my Wi-Fi and network and run a speed test, the latency is extremely high (100-150ms). 

This problem doesn't exist on any of my other device (which show latencies of around 3-10ms).

This only happens when connecting through Wi-Fi, ethernet is fine. 

I am running the latest drivers for the adapter.

It causes issues when gaming, the ping is extremely high (1000ms+) and takes a very long time to stabilize (down to 60ms). If another player joins the game, the ping shoots back up for another few minutes. 

I have tried many fixes such as reinstalling the drivers and using third party software, but nothing seems to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
3Fees
New Contributor I

There is several things that can cause high latency. Your ISP not optimizing their network to your modem( check this by doing a ping test), your wifi router not powerful enough, your cabling from modem to router( I use a short Cat 8 cable-overkill yet not an issue),your gui router online not setup to prioritize this wifi connection, number of users using a particular channel-time of day issue and so on.

I'd download a free wifi channel scanner and look at all the connections on each channel, then find the channel with the least amount of traffic and input this channel into wifi router online, wifi routers automatically select certain channels, you'll see your wifi card connected to the channel you selected with the least amount of users using this channel.  Lesser users lesser traffic. You will also see if the channel selected by the router is the most powerful one you can use,, you have a few things to check out here. Channel in use, channels available, channel selected by router, channel broadcast power, number of users using this channel and all channels near you and ping test.

You all have a very nice day

Cheers

3Fees

0 Kudos
LELord
Beginner

Hello, I just tried what you suggested but it seems I am on the best channel available on my internet.

I used another computer at an even larger distance away from the router, the ping was still fine on that.

0 Kudos
LELord
Beginner

Hello, I just tried what you suggested but it seems I am on the best channel available on my internet.

I used another computer at an even larger distance away from the router, the ping was still fine on that.

0 Kudos
3Fees
New Contributor I

Run the ping on the AX211 and post up the results and run the ping on another computer where the ping was fine and post up the results for comparison.

Cheers

3Fees

0 Kudos
LELord
Beginner

The other computer uses a realtek wifi card.

0 Kudos
3Fees
New Contributor I

Seems like the same or near upload/download speed. I see there is ping differences.

Here is a ping I did

Cheers

3Fees

0 Kudos
3Fees
New Contributor I

Here is another ping , earlier one was from another laptop with Qualcomm, this one Intel AX201 with download speed. No need to worry about latency.

Cheers

3Fees

0 Kudos
JPavonM
New Contributor I

Read carefully what @3Fees told you before, a link speed to remote content DOESN'T DEPEND ONLY on the WiFi, but from your router and ISP connection, the difference in the delivery paths between one packet and the next one, and the load of the remote service, but the most important thing is that even been the "best" available channel the one you are using, this maybe congested and been used by other devices at the same time (not your devices but neighbours, and not connected to with you AP but others using the same channel). Congestion is the number #1 thing to attend when working over Wi-Fi and expecting a decent quality of experience, and you may know.

You are lucky if on a heavily congested RF area you can reach 10 Mbps. Check this, how does it like on wire? if it's good enough for you, you'd better think of testing over different channels at different times of the day to look for the best one (and expect a hard work doing this task, and repeating it over the time, as all home routers and enterprise solutions, are configured with auto channel so they can change anytime and impact you again).

0 Kudos