Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Is it possible to reduce the amount of disk space used by PROSet/Wireless by disabling logging?

JWard20
Beginner

Intel PROSet/Wireless is using 384MB on my PC, and 366MB on a colleague's PC. I understand this is considered normal behaviour, and is apparently due to logging. A previously posted solution suggests removing it and re-installing, but my concern is that the issue will recur as the logs grow:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490Fh1SAE/how-much-space-should-prosetwireless-take-on-disk

Is it possible to create a leaner install of PROSet/Wireless by disabling logging?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello JWard20,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I would like to gather some more information of your system. Please provide me with an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

Also, please provide me with the model of wireless adapter you have.

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JWard20
Beginner

Hello David

Thanks for the prompt follow up.

I see you've created a support ticket 04316758, so I've run your System Support Utility and attached reports from both PCs to that support ticket.

Hope you can view them there, but let me know if not and I'll attach them here also.

The adapter models are "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265" and "Intel Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz".

Kind regards

James

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello JWard20,

Thank you for your patience. 

What we can attempt to do is to uninstall PROSet and only install the wifi and BT drivers, for Windows* 10 most features are managed by the OS itself, so it would be an option to save disk space.

Please let me know if this works for you.

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello JWard20,

Were you able to check my previous response?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

David V

0 Kudos
JWard20
Beginner
Thanks for your suggestion. Excuse the delay in reply, I've just returned from holiday. I will definitely try this and will report back soon on the outcome. Many thanks James
0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello JWard20,

Thank you for your response.

I understand, it has been my pleasure to help you with this, please let us know the outcome so we can check further if necessary.

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello JWard20,

Were you able to check if the recommendation works for you?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

David V

0 Kudos
JWard20
Beginner

Hi David

I've tried your suggestion, and I'm pleased to confirm that it worked.

Using "Add or remove programs" I selected "Intel PROSet/Wireless Software" then "Uninstall", then selected "DIscard Settings" and proceeded to uninstall. After a couple of minutes, the software was removed sucessfully.

At this point, I assumed that I'd need to manually reinstall drivers, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the wireless card was still working. After entering the wireless network password again, I was back up and running. Windows Device Manager shows that it's using Intel drivers (03/09/18 version 19.51.15.3 for AC 7265).

I'm very pleased with this solution, it's saved over 330MB of disk space. The remaining SYS, DAT and DLL files only look to be using about 31MB.

Thanks for your help with this

James

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello JWard20,

Thank you for your response.

I'm really glad to know that my suggestion has helped! Please do not hesitate to contact us back for any more assistance.

David V

0 Kudos