Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Killer Control Center - "Show Inactive Applications" ON causes crash

WPWilliams
Beginner

In Killer Control Center, tab: Prioritization Engine, there is a switch for 'Show Inactive Applications'.  I switched it to ON and the Control Center crashed.  I am unable to switch it back to OFF now because opening up the Prioritization Engine tab causes a freeze and crash each time.  The tab remains open briefly but the app is unresponsive, then crashes.

I have uninstalled the Control Center and reinstalled it including the drivers, but the switch is still set to ON. 

How can I get this switch back to OFF and stop the crashing?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @WPWilliams

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following details?

1- What is the Killer product's model regarding this request?

2- Did this work fine before? If yes, was there any recent change like Windows, software, or driver updates?

3- What is the version of the Killer Control Center software? Please go to Windows® Apps & Features to check the version number.

4- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
WPWilliams
Beginner
1 - Killer Control Center

2 - It did work fine before.  I was looking at the settings in the "Prioritization Engine" and I switched the "Show Inactive Applications" to ON, then Killer froze and crashed.  Now, I am unable to switch that "Inactive Applications" back to OFF because every time I go into "Prioritization Engine", Killer freezes and then crashes.

3 - 2.4.3337.0

4 - File from SSU is attached.  Also, screenshot of that Inactive Apps switch.

ADDITIONAL INFO FROM EVENT VIEWER REGARDING CRASH
Faulting application name: KillerControlCenter.exe, version: 2.4.3337.0, time stamp: 0x60596315
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.964, time stamp: 0x812662a7
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000034b89
Faulting process id: 0x2af4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d75a55712d9d05
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\RivetNetworks.KillerControlCenter_2.4.3337.0_x64__rh07ty8m5nkag\KillerControlCenter_v2\KillerControlCenter.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 32e4f2a2-9ea0-49a3-8f9a-a5df0cdc2cdc
Faulting package full name: RivetNetworks.KillerControlCenter_2.4.3337.0_x64__rh07ty8m5nkag
Faulting package-relative application ID: RivetNetworks.KillerControlCenter

AND
Application: KillerControlCenter.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(System.Windows.Forms.CreateParams)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateGraphicsInternal()
   at System.Windows.Forms.ThreadExceptionDialog..ctor(System.Exception)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.OnThreadException(System.Exception)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProcException(System.Exception)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr, Int32, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
   at KillerNetworkManager.Program.Main()
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello WPWilliams

Thank you for your response.

Please try a clean install of the software following the steps in this article: Solve Most Intel® Killer™ Control Center Issues with a Clean Install.

When performing the clean install, when uninstalling the software, please check that the following path was properly cleared:

• "C:\Program Files\Killer Networking\Killer Control Center\".

There will be a file named "user.xml" there. First, uninstall and then reinstall to see if this takes care of the problem as the user.xml file is recreated.

Please feel free to report back the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
WPWilliams
Beginner

The clean install and recreation of the "user.xml" file reset the "Show Inactive Applications" back to OFF.  Killer is now stable.

However, there is still a problem in that changing the setting of  "Show Inactive Applications" to ON again causes Killer to freeze and crash.  The provided switch does not properly work.  Please add this issue to the list of problems that need correction in a future release of Killer.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello WPWilliams

Thank you very much for your response. We are glad to know that the clean installation steps helped to reset the "Show Inactive Applications" back to OFF.

We will check internally the behavior that changing the setting back to ON causes the application to freeze and crash. We will be posting back as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello WPWilliams

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We are still working on this and we would like to know if you could reproduce the issue and provide us with a copy of the "user.xml" file from when you are experiencing the crashes so that it can be analyzed. Please also make sure that the file is populated with data before sending. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello WPWilliams

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello WPWilliams

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
mx22racer
Beginner

figured out how to fix this issue i had the same problem open app click on gear to open settings tab and click reset it fixed the problem for me i tried clean installs and deleted the whole c path the tech said to no avail but the reset button in the settings tab worked! hope this helps you too!

0 Kudos
7Battles
Beginner
0 Kudos