Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

My Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz network adapter not connecting to wifi 6 (802.11ax)

EdH1
Beginner

Just connects to 802.11ac.   Have 22.60.0.6 driver installed.   On Windows 10 (2400),  Using ASUS GT-AX11000 router and ax enabled.   Any ideas???

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

EdH1,

A few things come to mind.

- Is the GT-AX11000 on the latest firmware?

- Try having Windows forget the wireless connection. You will need to reconnect with the security phrase for the SSID.

- Is the AX201 802.11a/ac/ax set to AX?

- Do any other devices negotiate an AX connection to the GT-AX11000?

Aside from those simple things, we are likely to need more information. First, what locale are you in (some areas have AX restrictions)? Is the AX201 the original adapter in the PC or laptop?

0 Kudos
EdH1
Beginner

Khun_Doug - 

TY for reply.   

GT-AX11000 on latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_44266

Tried [forget] and reconnect;  Still connecting to wifi 5 (802.11ac)

Under AX201 properties 802.11n/ac/ax is set to 4. 802.11ax

Nothing connecting to wifi 6.  Also have a M1 Mac Air that supports ax too and it's connecting to ac.   Is this answer going to make you tell me to focus on the AX11000?

I am in Texas.   Interesting enough I have the same AX201 adapter in both my desktop and laptop.   Although laptop is work and on different driver (not going to mess with that), but both connecting to 802.11ac.  

0 Kudos
EdH1
Beginner
0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

EdH1,

You aren't necessarily interested in 6 GHz wireless, just 5 GHz. And the link you provided also references the Asus GT-AXE11000. The E model router does support 6 GHz while the GT-AX11000 does not support 6 GHz.

In looking through the manual for the GT-AX11000, I was unable to find anything that shows where to enable/disable WiFi 6 / AX. I do see places where is references AC. The only reference I saw in the user guide regarding AX mode relates to client adapters. That might explain why you are only getting an AC connection. In contrast, my RT-AX88U actually has an option specifically for enabling / disabling 802.11 AX / WiFi 6.

I would reach out to Asus and find out where the option is located to enable / disable WiFi 6 / AX. Perhaps the user manual I found on the Asus website is outdated, or I missed it. I can already sense the confusion and frustration when the unit names explicitly implies that AX support is present.

0 Kudos
EdH1
Beginner

So when I set the Wireless Mode = AX Only to the whole channel, I do connect at ax.   When Wireless Mode is set to Auto or N/AC/AX Mixed it only connects at ac.   

Hmmmmm.   

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

EdH1,

I would suggest downloading NetSpot on one or more desktops or laptops. NetSpot will report what your GT-AX11000 is broadcasting, including channels and capabilities. The download version from the website does a better job than the version in the Windows Store. There are other wireless utilities that do the same thing, but I am not familiar with them, and I cannot even remember the names. I know NetSpot will show a wireless device that is broadcasting AX.

On the download page, at the bottom, you will see the link for the free version. The pages can be found here: https://www.netspotapp.com/netspotpro.html

0 Kudos