Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

N 7260 2.4GHz channel width / connection "speed"

idata
Employee

I'm trying to understand why my two laptops, that both have 2x2 N wifi cards, will initially connect at 300 speed (40GHz width), then drop to 144 speed (20GHz width) within only a few seconds. I don't have any BG devices at all and I have confirmed the two laptops are the only two devices on the 2.4GHz ssid. They are both sitting in the same room, 15 feet from the router, no walls between. One laptop is brand new Lenovo, the other is Toshiba, both have Intel 7260 N cards. I have a brand new router TP Link C8.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Perfectly normal. If your router is WiFi certified, channel width drops down to 20MHz whenever there are nearby radios detected.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, so if I set my router 2.4GHz N to (force) 40GHz width in stead of AUTO, my laptops should work. I just might PO my neighbors.

Questions:

Are there wifi cards that can't do 2.4Hz N 2x2 40GHz width?

What if I have a guest come over but his laptop doesn't have 2x2 N 40GHz width capable wifi? Will the guest laptop not work on my router? or can it still connect at 20GHz width somehow?

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

They will only see the primary channel and won't channel bond to get 40 MHz. For ex. Channel 1 (P) and 5 (S). Those who don't accept 40 MHz will still connect but only on channel 1. That's the reason N is backwards compatible with G even if the router is configured to N mode only (i.e. 40 MHz).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos