Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

NETw5s64.sys keeps on giving me bluescreens

idata
Employee

My new Clevo M570TU Montevina laptop has a Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN with the latest driver running on Windows 7 x64 (13.0.0.107). I get bluescreens several times a day. If I leave the laptop on when I go to sleep, I often will find that it has automatically restarted because of a BSoD sometime during the night. The stop error is 0x000000d1 and I believe the BSoD says DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL refering to NETw5s64.sys.

It seems the BSoD occurs a lot when utilizing the my WLAN connection a bit more than just surfing. That is running 3-4 torrents, streaming Internet radio and surfing at the same time. I use the newest uTorrent client which again uses the latest Java RE (1.8.5 and 6u17). I am at the moment not using any anti virus software.

In addition to the bluescreens, I often lose my WLAN connection. WLAN is however fine on my other laptops. In these cases I get the event ID 5010 referring to NETw5s64 in my in my Event Log. I resolve this issue by disabling and reenabling the WLAN card, but this is very annoying.

I'm starting to think that the driver is faulty, WLAN on Windows 7 x64 is unstable at the moment, or that maybe my WLAN adapter is faulty.

I ran MemTest on my laptop the whole last night without any errors. I am considering trying another torrent client.

Anybody else having these problems? Any tips is highly appreciated as I'm getting fed up.

Update: I've disabled 11n and power saving on the adapter, but it keeps on giving me bluescreens. A Google search shows that this is a common problem with these Intel adapters. It would really be nice if Intel would acknowledge and address these issues.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I apologize for this inconvenience. Please keep in mind the direct support for Intel® wireless adapters is through the computer manufacturer (O.E.M.) since they integrated the adapters in their systems. They will escalate the case to Intel® if necessary as part of a mutual pre-established agreement.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
144 Replies
idata
Employee

It is sometimes amazing what could be causing problems.

In my case, even if I was not connected to any wireless networks, as long as I had my wireless network adapter enabled, I would have the BSOD. Sometimes the trigger is not always local to your computer. In my case it was some packets or a different signal coming from the router that the driver of my wireless card couldn't handle, so it made the computer crash. As you can see, it's a combination of both: The Wireless Adapter driver and the router signals.

The wireless adapter vendor (i.e. Intel) has a big role to play as to test their wireless network adapters along with the new technologies that are implemented by big networking companies on their wireless products.

In our case, ARM (Active Radio Management) and another function (I don't remember the name - intrusion prevention I think), was enabled on the wireless controller and was constantly scanning the surroundings for wireless connections that didn't belong in the zone, and would send a signal to kick them off our wireless network. Consultants would come into the company with their personal laptops and start getting blue screens also.

You may want to post more information if you'd like other users as well as myself to look more into the issue.

Thanks,

Joey

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

same issue here with Centrino 6200 AGN on HP Pavilion DV6t-2300 running win7 x64 SP1. We've been having it ever since we upgraded smartphones and use hotspot on them. whenever Centrino wifi card (all possible drivers tested) tries connecting to wifi hotspot on fast android smartphone, 1-2 minutes later a BSOD D1 pointing to NETwNs64.sys every time.

I'm done with it, I will pull out that wifi card and smash it with a hammer. just ordered Atheros BGN mini PCIe card off ebay ($4 shipped), no more Intel wifi cards for me ever. It's the second Intel Centrino wifi adapter that caused me so much grief.

Centrino 6200/6300 series is as useless as another Intel wifi card (model 4200?) I used to have on old Toshiba Satellite laptop long time ago, back then going with Atheros was the cure too. Intel doesn't know how to make wifi adapters!

so many years, same bugs (unstable speeds, BSOD under load, power saving issues driver dependent), it's a joke. Intel should stick to making CPUs, LAN adapters & SSDs, they make fools of themselves with their Centrino wifi adapters.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Tried version 15.6.1 same issue.

How many years and generations of Centrino WIFI is Intel going to let this persist.

It happens across many cell phones and many laptops.

Manufactures of Laptops won't touch it because they will blame the cell phone, because they don't have a means to reproduce the problem.

Manufactures of Cell Phones won't touch it because they will blame the Laptop, because they don't have an easy means to reproduce the problem.

There is one company in common with this issue. It's name is INTEL !!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Joe,

I have tried those latest drivers for 6200 and same issue persists. whenever I connect laptop's wifi (centrino 6200) to modern smartphone hotspot (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S Relay or Galaxy SIII) the laptop will not connect initially and later on it will try again and this always causes a BSOD with mentioned piece of intel wifi driver being at direct fault.

it's been happening on HP Pavilion dv6t-2300 ever since we upgraded our smartphones.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello feniks,

I understand in your case the issue happens when connecting specifically to the smartphones. Does the issue happen when connecting to a different access point or router?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe_Intel wrote:

Hello feniks,

I understand in your case the issue happens when connecting specifically to the smartphones. Does the issue happen when connecting to a different access point or router?

yes, so far only with smartphone hotspots (WiFi Tethering on recent gen Samsung androids and T-Mobile USA cellurar).

It works normally with N-band wifi router at home and that is a Linksys WRT320N converted into E2000 and flashed with linux-based DD-WRT v24 SP2 firmware (various K2.6 builds up to 20xxx)

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello feniks. As you described your specific issue appears to be strictly related to the smartphones, since the wireless adapter works properly with other devices then we could not say there is something wrong with it. There is perhaps a compatibility issue you may want to address with the phone manufacturer since updating the driver did not work.

Along this thread other users have experienced blue screen issues during data transfers or hibernation. In those cases I would certainly recommend to get in contact with the computer manufacturer, especially if different drivers were tested, as it might be an integration or power management related issue, even perhaps a defective adapter, and therefore the O.E.M. (Original Equipment Manufacturer) will need to address it directly.

We will continue monitoring this thread and keep you informed if we get further updates about it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe_Intel wrote:

Hello feniks. As you described your specific issue appears to be strictly related to the smartphones, since the wireless adapter works properly with other devices then we could not say there is something wrong with it. There is perhaps a compatibility issue you may want to address with the phone manufacturer since updating the driver did not work.

Along this thread other users have experienced blue screen issues during data transfers or hibernation. In those cases I would certainly recommend to get in contact with the computer manufacturer, especially if different drivers were tested, as it might be an integration or power management related issue, even perhaps a defective adapter, and therefore the O.E.M. (Original Equipment Manufacturer) will need to address it directly.

We will continue monitoring this thread and keep you informed if we get further updates about it.

thanks for clarifying the Intel's stance on this wide-spread issue. if you google for a while you will see that there is multitude of people being unable to tether intel centrino adapters to any mobile hotspots (which is not limited to Samsung smartphones). same things happen to people with Google Nexus phones or HTC, various manufacturers, various models, various equipment. all points back only to Intel Centrino, so maybe it should be Intel to solve the issue on corporate level with other manufacturers and not users (who obviously can't because there is no such Intel drivers that make it work ever).

I have made my personal choice and it's the same one I made a few years back. a new (cheap) Atheros N-Band WiFi module is on my desk, I will install this one in the laptop which is out of warranty (vendor won't help much in solving any issues), since at least their drivers don't BSOD the laptop when trying to run internet from mobile hotspot and with my Intel Centrino wifi module I will talk as usual, with a hammer because it deserves it

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I apologize for this inconvenience. Please keep in mind the direct support for Intel® wireless adapters is through the computer manufacturer (O.E.M.) since they integrated the adapters in their systems. They will escalate the case to Intel® if necessary as part of a mutual pre-established agreement.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

no problem, I have just fixed my issue entirely

atheros BGN module (AR5B95) cost me $4 shipped free to my door and works flawlessly with mobile hotspots

as per what you said about the need to contact OEM vendor about the issue. I believe a multitude of people did long time ago, but they were all brushed away by that vendor and issue was never escalated to Intel per any agreements. why Intel can't start working on a fix based on user input about their own product posted in their own community forums is beyond me. it's counter-intuitive.

0 Kudos
HSSil
Beginner

Hello!

Any solution for this bluescreen / BSOD issue?

I've Lenovo W520 & Nokia Lumia 820 with internet sharing. PROSet version is 15.6.1.0.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, Windows 8 works !!

Every driver I tried from Lenovo or Intel Blue Screened under Win7 x64

Every driver I tried from Lenovo or Intel ran fine under Win8 x64

SAME version drivers in both cases.

FYI, I'm using WIFI Tether for rooted users BETA by TrevE Mod 3.3-Pre2

0 Kudos
HSSil
Beginner

Clearly updating operating system is not a solution...

Someone from Intel? Any help? Any dumps / traces needed?

0 Kudos
HSSil
Beginner

Indeed 802.11n is the root cause for the BSOD with Lumia tethering. I also learned (with some hints) that disabling 802.11n Mode is workaround for the issue.

I've Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 and setting I toggled was Control Panel->Network and Internet->Manage Wireless Networks->Adapter Properties. Then press Configure, select Advanced tab and set 802.11n Mode as Disabled.

0 Kudos
MSuzu7
Beginner

Hi Henri,

Thank you for sharing information. NETw5s64.sys(13.0.0.107) on Windows 7 x64 caused bluescreen(DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) and it happened three times today. It was not first time but too frequent this time. I'm glad to find your latest comment. Very informative. Just disabled the function and see what happens. Thanks again, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Maki

0 Kudos
JBui
Beginner

I got the same problem with Lenovo T410i / Win 7 x64 PC. After updating to the latest Intel Wifi Driver, the BSOD screen was gone.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59480/Intel-Centrino-Wireless-N-1000 Intel® Download Center

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

JohnnyBui,

Is this wireless card the original one that came installed by factory? if that is so, our first recommendation is for you to contact your computer manufacturer and see if they have any customized updates. if they do, perform a clean uninstall first, and then reeinstall the drivers back from the OEM. If by any chance the original card was replaced, it is important that you know that Intel does support integration and consulting with the computer manufacturer is important for possible solutions. Check this link for further information on this matter http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

0 Kudos
amigomarco
Beginner

I was having constant problems with NETwNs64.sys BSODs with IRQ_LEVEL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and it always seemed to happen whenever pages were loading with a lot of content that seemed to throttle the internet connection particularly.  So as a hunch I tried this, and it's stopped the problem from happening:

Right-click on Wi-Fi blue square > Go to settings > Related settings: Change adapter options

This takes you to

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network Connections (doesn't seem to be visible directly from Control Panel finder)

Right-click on WiFi connection

On the 'Networking' tab (usually appears by default)
Untick:

cFosSpeed for faster Internet connections (NDIS 6)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

In fact, since disabling cFosSpeed, my internet performance has got FASTER, any my PC boots up a lot quicker than it used to.  I think for any computers with cFosSpeed installed, that seem to be 'laggy', that they should try disabling it.  It seems to be bloatware that doesn't do what it's supposed to.

0 Kudos