Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

No Internet Connection message display on driver version 15.6.1

idata
Employee

Hardware: Dell Latitude E6420

Wireless Card: Intel Advanced-N 6250 AGN

Upon installing the newest version of ProSet, the native WiFi icon and the ProSet icon both have a yellow bang when connected to WPA2/PSK Cisco AP. Hovering on the native icon reveals a message of "no internet access", opening the Intel ProSet connection utility shows "Internet Access : No"

Here's the kicker, I have perfect signal and working internet access. So why does it show the message?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello IanH.

This is usually an issue related the operating system since it also happens with other (wired) adapters. As a workaround I would suggest to roll back to the driver version that worked before or the one provided by the computer manufacturer. As a best practice we recommend the use of WPA2-AES.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Unfortunately I have tried rolling back the driver without success. I have completely uninstalled 15.6.1 and reinstalled 15.3.1 (which was working previously without a yellow bang) and I still have the "no internet access" message which is incorrect because I am able to route traffic to the internet. I am still unclear on how to get rid of this false message and yellow exclamation point triangle. I have also switched the AP to WPA2-AES.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Steps taken to recreate this issue:

1. Restore Dell to Factory Image (clean install with ProSet v14)

2. Install Intel ProSet/Wireless 15.6.1 software

3. Yellow bang appears over wired network connection even without wireless connected. Internet works fine.

This is clearly a bug in the 15.6.1 version of ProSet. Once the yellow bang appears, there is no way to get rid of it other than blowing away the OS and starting fresh.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you IanH for the steps to reproduce the issue, it has been reported, we do recommend to install the latest tested drivers from your laptop manufacturer since these would have been tested to work specifically with your exact system set up.

Also to delete the current driver completely see the steps below:

Remove the Intel® PROSet software from Control Panel\ Control Panel home\ programs, 'uninstall a Program', check also for any other PROSet software and uninstall it too.

Go to 'Start' right-click on 'Computer' click on device manager (on the left panel) click on "Network Adapters"\Double-Click the adapter name\Drivers Tab and click on the "Uninstall" button if present.

Remove the Wireless folder found at C:\Users\YOUR_PROFILE_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Intel. (if you do not see the "AppData" folder you need to "unhide " it, pres 'alt' click on 'tools' on the top of the screen then 'folder options' in folder options click on 'view' then select "Show hidden files, folders and drives" then click 'ok' )

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank You,

I have followed all of the above steps, however the yellow exclamation point does not go away and the "no internet access" message persists. Once the version 15.6.1 software has been installed, it permanently displays a false error message in Windows 7. This happens with both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the driver.

Additional steps I have taken to unsuccessfully attempt to resolve the issue are to open the network and sharing center, click the icon under View you active networks and then Manage or delete your active networks. I've deleted all the entries and started fresh but still the false error persists.

The error persists with the Wireless adapter completely disabled and no wireless driver or software installed. It seems that installing this software version alters something so deep inside the networking components that the Ethernet adapter is affected as well and displays the false error described above.

Any other suggestions on getting the yellow bang and "no internet access" messages to go away are welcome.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello IanH,

Perhaps resetting the TCP/IP and Winsock may help. Try running the following commands using an elevated command prompt (run as administrator) and restart your system:

Netsh int ip reset

Netsh winsock reset

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/en http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/en

How to repair TCP/IP and Winsock

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-repair-tcpip-and-winsock-1539 http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-repair-tcpip-and-winsock-1539

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

0 Kudos
DH_
Beginner

I am experiencing this same issue on one Lenovo ThinkPad X230 with an Intel Advanced-N 6205 wireless card. I have a whole bunch of these machines with the same Windows 7 Enterprise image, but one machine seems to hate taking the Intel PROSet 15.6.1 package. Just like IanH, after the package goes on, the yellow icon shows up after restarting. The yellow icon shows up even when wireless isn't in use and the computer is connected via Ethernet cable. Uninstalling the 15.6.1 package doesn't fix things. Installing the older version (I have been using the Lenovo provided package 15.03.1000.1637 to start my builds with) afterwards doesn't help either.

I have just tried now to do a totally new installation of Windows on a freshly wiped hard drive. I did not domain join the machine to make sure there is nothing else that could be getting in the way. As soon as I install 15.6.1, the yellow icon appears.

I was just successful in doing a System Restore to before I installed the drivers to get rid of the yellow "No Internet access" icon.

Was an issue with this particular version ever identified? Lenovo is using 15.6.1 as the newest package, but I know there is now a newer version available directly from Intel. Should I skip ahead to that version instead?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
DH_
Beginner

joe_intel,

I tried 15.8 and had the same issue! Something Intel has introduced in 15.6 and higher is breaking the Windows networking stack upon installation! I am now living in fear that any PCs in my organization get these drivers without my approval as if I don't catch the problem in time to do a System Restore, I have to wipe and re-install the whole PC!

Please look into this issue further!

Some further info about the configuration of the Lenovo ThinkPad X230 that I have this issue on:

- Windows 7 Enterprise x64

- UEFI boot

- Intel vPro enabled on wired and wireless interfaces

- BitLocker disk encryption using TPM (note: I did encounter the problem without BitLocker being used too)

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

This cosmetic issue must be specific to your systems or environment since we have tested the most recent versions and the issue does not occur. In this case you may probably want to use different driver versions from the system manufacturer since they may be customized for your computer.

0 Kudos
DH_
Beginner

joe_intel,

Thanks for not really helping at all.

1) I do not consider the Windows network stack being partially broken to be 'cosmetic'.

2) I already stated that while I had this problem with the Lenovo provided drivers (which I do not believe are customized anyway), I ALSO had the problem using Intel provided drivers both 15.6.1 and 15.8, both on a domain-joined system and on a freshly formatted system.

And I am not even the first person to have had this problem, because the OP had the problem on a Dell Latitude notebook! You haven't helped him and you aren't helping me.

The way I see it, Intel has changed something significant with the driver packages 15.6+, and this is affecting some systems, even if it is only in rare cases. This should be investigated!

0 Kudos
SOtt
Beginner

I am also seeing this issue on a Dell Latitude with the latest Intel Pro/Wireless drivers. The laptop is running Win7 Pro 64-bit. Windows says there is no Internet access, but the laptop can indeed reach the Internet. Upgrading the drivers (both wired and wireless) to the latest version did not help.

One interesting thing I noticed: When I connected the laptop to our VPN, the exclamation point went away. Not sure what that means, as connecting to the VPN while already on the LAN should not change anything.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It does not seem to be related to the TCP/IP network stack since the reset commands did not help and the connection remains functional regardless of the icon status.

Perhaps it is a good idea in this case to test it in a different network.

0 Kudos
PFran13
Beginner

We are experiencing the same problem with Dell Latitude E6530 laptops.

I have used the Dell-provided drivers and I get the same display error.

When will there be a fix for this issue? We purchased 18 of these laptops for a major classroom upgrade and we'd like a solution.

0 Kudos
ZJohn5
Beginner

My company has been having the same problems with all the Dell Latitude E6420, E6520 & E6430 laptops that have upgraded to the 15.6.1 driver. I originally upgraded the drivers directly from Dell's site when the problem started. I also tried using the driver directly from Intel's site with the same results. So we can rule out the theory of using the system manufacturer driver as a fix for this.

Intel, please fully investigate and provide a fix for this widespread network driver issue.

0 Kudos
DLaps
Beginner

This was the exact problem I had. Lenovo system update updated the proset drivers from 15.3.1.2 to 15.6.1 Yellow bang, with a false "no internet connection" message. We're leaving the old 15.3, 9/20/2012 drivers on the image until intel fixes this.

System:

Lenovo T431s 20AA-000MUS

0 Kudos
PBrom
Beginner

We have been experiencing the same problem with our Dell Latitude 6530 and 6430 laptops, as well as our Lenovo T530 laptops. Both laptops have Intel hardware. The laptops appear to be functioning perfectly, despite the error message. We tried reinstalling the OS, drivers, etc., but the error continues to show up. I have noticed, however, that it does occasionally disappear, although I'm not sure why.

0 Kudos
TMill13
Beginner

From what I've found is that a registry key is being written at system startup.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet\EnableActivePolling

Using the Process Monitor utility from Microsoft you can capture ZEROCONFIGSERVICE.EXE (That runs out of c:\program files\intel\wifi\bin) writing the value 0 (turning off polling) (You can check this, by changing the value to 1, disabling the nic, enabling the nic) The laptops with the issue are DELL LATTITUDE E6540.

FErns1
Beginner

I think I found a solution.

go to 1. Start / System Control / Network & Internet / Intel PRO Set Wireless Tools

2. open the "Intel Wifi Hotspot Assistant" - Settings

3. disable / un-tick both check boxes (connect automatically with Free Wifi Hotspots ; activate Intel Wifi Hotspot Assistant)

Steps 1-3 will turn "enable active probe" to value 1 in the registry after a re-boot

Thereafter 4. uninstall all network devices (LAN ; Wifi ; 3G etc.) in the device manager, but don't delete the drivers!!

5. re-boot your computer. Devices will be installed automatically from Windows

6. BINGO, you made it

Hopefully it works for you. For my Lenovo T430 it worked!

ZJohn5
Beginner

I have tested and confirmed that Frederic_MUC's solution works on my companies Dell Latitude E6420, E6520 & E6430 laptops. Unchecking "Enable Intel WiFi HotSpot Assistant" & "Automatically connect to free WiFi hotspots" in the Intel PROSet/Wireless Tools did the trick. I did not have to uninstall the network devices. A reboot afterwards was all that was needed in my situation.

Internet Connectivity is now correctly showing.

Thanks Frederic_MUC!

0 Kudos