Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7499 Discussions

Smart AP disabled due to VPN | Killer Intelligence Center

Nova1
Novice

Instead, the issue is related to the "Killer Intelligence Center" application. This app is mistakenly identifying something similar to a VPN, which is causing the SmartAP function to be turned off. This problem began when I updated the program to version "KillerPerformanceSuite_34.23.7168".

Nova1_2-1691775719224.png

Nova1_1-1691775682897.png

Screenshot 2023-08-11 123920.png

1 Solution
Ernesto_C_Intel1

Hello Nova1,  

Thank you for you patience. We've published a new version of the Intel® Killer™ Performance Suite version: 35.24.4275 (Latest)

Download link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19779/intel-killer-performance-suite.html

Please advise if you are still having issues after installing the Killer driver? 

Regards,  

Ernesto C. 

Intel Customer Support Engineer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
67 Replies
Gerko
Novice

Oh no. The latest Killer update causes all the Killer services to stop soon after they are started.

Manually starting the services doesn't help either as the services keep stopping by themselves.

We are moving backwards here trying to get this app back up and running.

Gerko_0-1697461143724.pngGerko_1-1697461159920.png

0 Kudos
JustMeHere
New Contributor I
Would you look in your Windows Event Viewer? The service is likely crashing. The crash report will be in there.
0 Kudos
Gerko
Novice

Well sadly nothing changed with the latest update. VMWare might still be the cause of the "Smart AP disabled due to VPN" message.

0 Kudos
RhinoOnAStick
Novice

Intel support, why is this showing as solved when clearly it's an ongoing issue?

It feels there are enough of us facing this, that it's a you - not us problem.  I'm sure the same is true for all here, but feel free to contact me if you would like any logs, details, etc.

WideBody
Novice

Agreed, can confirm, this problem exists.   I am using the old version for now.

Intel, if you need logs, just ask!

n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's the OP who marks issues as solved, not anyone at Intel. @Nova1 - why did you mark it as solved?

...S

Impervious25
Beginner

This app is mistakenly identifying something similar to a VPN, which is causing the SmartAP function to be turned off. This problem began when I updated the program to version "KillerPerformanceSuite_34.23.7168".

I identified the cause. VMware Network Adaptors VMnet1 (host-only) and VMnet8 (NAT) are causing the SmartAP function to be turned off. 

To turn ON SmartAP:

1. Disable VMnet1 and VMnet8 either from the Settings or the Control Panel,
  2. Quit Killer Intelligence Center from the notification tray icon on the taskbar,
  3. Start Killer Intelligence Centre from the search,

Screenshot.png

Enabling VMware Network Adaptors again will cause SmartAP to turn off, but it takes time to reflect it in the killer Dashboard.

JustMeHere
New Contributor I

Virtualbox Host Only adapter was the problem for me.   Can't keep this disabled.  Intel needs to fix.  This is not a wifi adapter and shouldn't be be part of the problem.

JustMeHere
New Contributor I

Good news all,  I had a support ticket opened.  They have reviewed this thread and will let the development team know it's VM network adapters that is causing this issue.  Fingers crossed.

RhinoOnAStick
Novice
Excellent news; thanks for the update. Hopefully they’ll have it resolved on an upcoming release
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Nova1, 

Thanks for all your patience, I would like to let you know that our development team will look over our logs to find the issue. I will need the report from the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU):

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
WideBody
Novice

Here is my output.  I am using an older version of Killer Control Center.  If you want me to put the new one on that doesn't work, just let me know.

Regards,

-Craig

0 Kudos
Nova1
Novice

Hello, these would be my SSU results

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Nova1, 

Thanks for your response, with this report I will be able to continue with the support, and as soon as I have any information I will get back to you.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
JustMeHere
New Contributor I

New version of Intel Performance Suite has been released but this problem was not solved. 

0 Kudos
JustMeHere
New Contributor I

Adding my SSU attached...

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Nova1, 

Thank you all for your patience, There is a new version of the Intel® Killer™ Performance Suite where we included some fixes.

Tool: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19779/intel-killer-performance-suite.html

Please let me know if the issue persists.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Nova1
Novice

Hello, I updated to the new version, but now I can't see anything in the Intel Killer Performance application. It says "Service not running," even though it's supposed to be running in the background. Furthermore, when I try to start the Killer Network Service, these services automatically stop.

0 Kudos
JustMeHere
New Contributor I
The service is not "automatically stopping" it is probably crashing. You will see the crash report in Windows Event Viewer. Putting that info into this thread will probably help.
0 Kudos
Gerko
Novice

Gerko_0-1697613403780.png

So it seems like it is trying to run CustomizeInstallFirstRun.exe but fails.

Gerko_1-1697613479500.png

Running this application manually reveals the above.

Gerko
Novice

Interestingly enough, seems like the prerequisite installation did take place, and all the services are running normally.

Killer is back to saying "Smart AP disabled due to VPN" with no VPN connection open.

The app seemed like it was working before the CustomizeInstallFirstRun.exe application installed but then the services crashed as mentioned.

Gerko_0-1697805158252.png

Gerko_1-1697805236127.png

Gerko_2-1697805394667.png

0 Kudos