Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7726 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
idata
Employee

UPDATE FYI : one possible workaround is to downgrade the radio mode. More info below.

Suspecting a design or manufacturing or integration issue with INTEL when using 802.11n. Hope this helps.

What I have tested :

1) Refresh my window 8 PC : no change (radio connection unstable)

2) Reset my windows 8 PC : no change (radio connection unstable)

3) Change the radio mode configuration option on my wireless access point to force all wireless devices in my home network to use 802.11b/DSSS (as opposed to 802.11n/OFDM so far): result is 100% OK

Drawback of the workaround:

- reduced data rate on the radio segment,

- but (1) now the radio connection is 100% stable and (2) anyway the throughput is limited by ISP (max speed 1Meg Down-link / 0.6 Meg Up-link) before the throughput limit is reached on the radio segment

My configuration

- PC brand/model/OS: Asus Ultrabook / Windows8 (purchased just before Christmas in Paris)

- Wireless network adapter: Intel(R) Centrinol(R) Advanced-N 6235

Type of security: WPA2 - Personal

Cyphering : AES

Intel driver version: 15.5.0.43 (16/08/2012)

Wireless home network behind a wireless DSL router

Another PC was running fine at home with 802.11n (Wireless network adpater: Atheros AR5B97)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Paris,

How did you do your no. 3?

we have the same laptop and same OS.

So u used the old driver rather than Their SO-CALLED LATEST DRIVER 15.7?

thank man.. help me also hehe

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Supect 802.11n does not work with this specific INTEL network card (or at least with a given manufacting lot).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just tested and you should be right, everything is going well and stable in 802.11b mode ! Thanks for your help ^^

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

This product is really terrible!

I bought a 1500$ HP Spectre XT 15 with the N-6235 wireless card. I never been able to see most of the 2.4GHz networks either at home or work (and I have total 4 different routers). Always been able to see the 5GHz however perfectly.

I was thinking throwing that card in the grabage bin after re-installing windows 2 times. I finally found out that the new driver version (either on HP's website or the latest one from last month on Intel's website are junk!)

The problem is fixed by rolling back to the stock driver that came from the Win8Pro 64 fresh install.

Now Intel why are you realising a non-working version of the driver?

When can this be fixed? I paid for this card that is buitin the laptop and I demande that I can connect to 2.4GHz access point with the latest drivers !

Fred

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

P.S. I rolledback to 14.8.8.75 version.

Waiting for Intel's feedback on this and expecting a fix!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

INTEL doesn't care or NEVER care.. this is BS! Planning to buy Killer 1202 to replace this piece of junk Intel Centrino. I hate it when you buy a new laptop then you will realize that your wifi doesn't work! INTEL BE PROFESSIONAL AND ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS AND FIX OUR PROBLEM!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did not worked for me even if I did rolled it back to 14.8.8.75 .. This sucks....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have tried the Win8 Pro drivers after rolling back and it was only stable for a few minutes. I think I've tried everything in this thread with no luck.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

unfortunately it looks like you are right...

I can't see my 2 2.4GHz access point anymore now. it was working well for couple of minutes. anyone contacted them? I guess I will call HP Monday and demand that they fix that. it's pretty useless if I can't connect only with 5Ghz!!!! I have another older Intel card in my other laptop that is dual band so maybe I'll swap it until there's a fix... only problem is then I won't have bluetooth.... but anyway the bluetooth sucks too on this card (only tried it with a Dell bluetooth mouse and it was lagging!)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Some update...

I was decided to replace the card with my 6205 that I was using on the other laptop. So I opened my brand new HP for the first time and just found out that the problem is not Intel... It's HP that simply have no quality control on their production. TThe aux1 cable was not connected correctly on the card!

Anyway so I just connected it and now I can see my 2.4GHz access point correctly. I guess it was touching the connector from time to time explaining why I sometime have connection! It looks like it was touching the aux connector but it was not securely connected...

I have now the latest drivers and it works... I'll send update if it stops later ;-) I did not expect electrical problem as I was able to see form time to time the 2.4.... but I was wrong ;-) anyway glad it works!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

update: still working perfectly fine one hour later on the 2.4GHz band with latest driver and cable properly connected...

Also the bluetooth mouse is now working perfectly (with antenna connected correctly). So maybe check connections as we can't expect manufacturer to sell laptop with cable properly connected!!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I think this is the ONLY way... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LGl0j6yF9Y Asus Zenbook UX32VD Wifi Upgrade - YouTube Next time I wont buy a laptop that has Intel wifi card on it

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey all,

I updated PROSet software (and driver cuz well why not) and the problem disappeared so far.

This was solved on page 3. By the miracle of copy-paste, I present the solution:

Symptom

Laptop randomly loses its wireless network connection while the connection management utility reports "no wireless networks found." This issue can also be seen in the Microsoft Windows* System Event log in the form of numerous 500x events with the wireless driver as the source.

This issue impacts Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software 13.0.x and 13.1.x releases specific to the Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection.

NoteBeginning with Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 13.2.1.0 this issue is resolved. http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/detect.htm Upgrade your software to resolve this issue.

Cause

An adapter internal error related to power management has occurred. This problem only occurs when some level of adapter power savings mode is enabled. The adapter is in power savings mode if its power management setting is set to anything other than "Highest."Note"Highest" equates to highest network performance, NOT highest level of power management.

Power Savings mode will also be enabled if the power management setting is "default" and the laptop is operating on battery power.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro3945abg/sb/CS-031631.htm Intel� PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection — Wireless disconnect followed by inability to detect any networks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In the link it says:

NoteBeginning with Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 13.2.1.0 this issue is resolved. http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/detect.htm Upgrade your software to resolve this issue.

So I had 14.x and upgrade rings be to 15.x. For me my connection is stable on the 5GHz band. However the problem with this piece of junk card is that most of the time I do not see anything on the 2.4GHz band....

And I am always plugged in with the highest performance power plan. I also changed it to highest as recommanded with the older firwmare... I still don't see the 2.4GHz this morning... my other laptop with a older Intel dual bad can see the 2 2.4Ghz and one is about 3 feets away from we....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just wanted to notify everyone who hasn't already checked the Intel driver page that as of 1/30/13 a new update has been released for the Intel Centrino Advanced N 6235 Wireless Adapter. I don't know for sure if this fixes any problems, but please check it out and see if it makes any differences in your experience.

Here's the URL: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22429/eng/wireless_15.5.7_De64.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=22429&DownloadType=Software+Applications&OSFullname=Windows+8%2c+64-bit* Download Center

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just tried the latest 15.5.7 driver package only and still no joy.....still broken on wireless N

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah, afraid it's been no help to me either.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have just tried it and no luck.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well I decided to give it a go again and it's stable so far. The first time (yesterday) I only installed the drivers and no luck.

Tonight I installed the full package (wireless_15.5.7_e64.exe) over the top of the original one and it's been stable for the last couple of hours. The pings to the router are stable and consistent with no dropouts.

I haven't rebooted yet, but it looks good so far....fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I decided to give the drivers another go and it's stable.

Yesterday I only installed the drivers and no luck. Tonight I installed the full package (wireless_15.5.7_e64.exe) over the top of the existing one and it's been stable for the last couple of hours.

The pings to the router are consistent. The only thing I changed was the setting to the wireless N mode on the WiFi card.

I haven't rebooted yet, but all looks good so far!

0 Kudos