Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
idata
Employee

I have the same problem with my samsung series 5. I have tried all the suggestions in this post, including win 7 driver, and didn't work out for me:(

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a brand new Ultrabook samsumg NP530U3C-A03CL, and I'm having the same problem. Please, Intel, give us an answer! I don't have enough time to waste it restarting the computer lots of times.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So just playing around with my brand new Samsung 900X3C and ran into this thread as was suffering bad with wifi dropouts. Expect a lot more aftering forking out big £ for this laptop, the rest of it is great but let down by this intel adapter. Anyway pleased to see Intel have at least acknowledged the issue, is there anything I can do to help push Intel / Samsung actually address this issue, perhaps an email to someone senior if anyone knows someone, happy to cause trouble on this as its not acceptable and there are clearly enough of us to join forces!

Anyway for now disabled N mode, have not had time or patience to try other suggestions but none of them I feel actually work

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So since my post, Samsung has provided me with a service request, and has asked me to ship my laptop back to them for service.

Here are my thoughts, I already know the issue lies with this card, specifically when cycling N mode on and off as per my previous post. I foresee me being without my laptop for probably 2 weeks only to have Samsung send it back in the same condition, or to simply replace the card with another 6235 only to produce the same issues.

If you were me would you:

1 - Send it to Samsung?

2 - Wait for Intel here?

3 - Don't go through the hassle and just replace the card myself with either an Intel 6300 (I think it doesn't have Bluetooth though) or a Killer WirelessN 1202 (has Bluetooth but no WiDi) I'll add that I'm weary of the 6300 thinking fundamentally it may be built with the same base as the 6235 so therefore possibly have similar issues.

Thoughts???

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Samsung offered to take mine and look at it. I knocked it back as I'd rather be with a half working laptop than be without any for months to be told "could not replicate fault...this fault is news to us...we've never heard of such a problem" etc...

I'm hoping that Intel comes up with a driver. Last hope, Ill get the smallest usb wifi card I can. I don't want to open the case and void my warranty.

That's just my thought process though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I agree that sending to Samsung (who I am a fan of, mind you) is a fruitless endeavor... as I would not send my new zenbook back to Asus, knowing that the same narrative you outlined would be the outcome.

I am pleased that Intel has acknowledged that their is growing concern, however, it is time for them to own that something is fundamentally awry with a batch of their cards.

I am hopping that it is a software issue, however, given the ubiquity across platforms (win7 & win8... whose kernel I imagine is very similar if not identical) and OEMs... I am leaning towards a hardware flaw.

Now I would hope that should it be a hardware flaw, that the OEMs and Intel with get together and offer users with the issue a replacement card... being that is afflicting some high end hardware. However, this is never a popular option and is frowned upon in most business models.

I think in the end, a new card will be the end solution (at our own cost unfortunately). As far as options... which is more important to you, widi or bluetooth... (remember, bluetooth can be supplemented via a slim dongle...widi can not).

Personally, I would lean towards the killer card, but that suits my purposes as I have very few practical uses for widi (as of now).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

i had the same Problem, i use the Wireless_15.3.1_Ds64.exe driver (Windows7 64bit) and my OS Windows 8 64bit, the win8 driver disconnects my wlan, very strange... with the win7 driver works like a charm!!

Greetz

My System Toshiba z930 (Ultrabook)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Samsung had my laptop back (back in August 2012), all they did was re-install the driver, sent it back saying now working. It's still not worked since as you will see from my various posts. Unless they are going to install an alternative wireless card i would personally say it's pointless in returning the laptop, they did nothing for me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just a word of encouragement for the folks at Intel who are hopefully working on some new drivers...

I have just finished a pretty difficult skype conversation with my Mum back in Scotland. She is NOT in any way computer savvy and I had to explain to her repeatedly that she wasn't doing anything wrong and that the repeated disconnections were my issue.

It got me thinking...This skype call alone could be enough to discourage someone like my mum from from using a computer (that she is pretty much terrified from). I can't imagine how difficult it would be to deal with this situation if I had my Mum's functioning laptop and she had my laptop and accompanying wifi issues (especially with the Atlantic Ocean between us).

I hope that you can come to an adequate solution sooner rather than later. Not for people on this forum, techy enough to not think of a car mechanic at the suggestion of a faulty driver. Folks here are frustrated (understandably), but can try new drivers and find temporary "limp modes" for their network. But imagine someone's Mum, Granddad etc... trying to use a laptop they were bought and are already intimidated by. For me, my mum having a laptop (that I had to buy for her) is one of the few means of communication we have. I may be grumpy that I'm dealing with a defective driver/card, but would be really upset if my Mum (or someone else's -un-techy relative had to deal with the situation)

And just think about it...they are...right now. They just don't know what an Intel, a network card, lost packets or an online forum are...

Intel: I'm rootin' for you guys!

0 Kudos
oskil
Novice

Wow! This issue started in AUGUST..It's February. Intel, you really did a great job on testing people's patience.

I really feel bad at the number of replies to this thread and the amount of patience these users have..an issue like this deserves to be fixed in a month max. Incredible. I really hope it gets fixed by the end of February, as Natalie reported recently.

Once again, unbelievable effort Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same Problem on my DELL XPS ONE 27 with Intel Advanced-N 6235. Signal strength is very good but sporadic (every five minutes) no internet connection.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same issue on my Asus U500VZ laptop running Windows 8

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I bought my Samsung series 5 notebook in August 2012 and have been plagued with this problem from day one. It has been back to Samsung who replaced the wireless card. When they returned it they said it was fixed, but when I turned it on for the first time it clearly wasn't! I noticed the post from Natalie who said intel were working on this with the OEM's. Worryingly Samsung said that they knew nothing about this. Someone mentioned a new driver available from 1/30/13, but the link says this is for windows8 and I am on Windows 7. Samsung are insisting it is a hardware problem and want to replace the wireless card again. I would prefer my money back as it is not fit for purpose, even though in every other respect it is a good piece of kit in my opinion.

Natalie - how will you communicate to us to let us know what the fix is (new driver, patch, etc.). Will there be an email, letter or maybe product recall issued. 6 months is way too long for this.

oskil
Novice

One workaround that I can confirm (2 days of using) for at least the ASUS Zenbooks is to reinstall the Windows 7 drivers, and THEN change the power settings of your battery profile - under Wireless Adapter settings, make it "Max performance" for both Battery & Plugged in. Once I did this, wireless N worked for me.

I would like to again state that this is pathetic on Intel's behalf. Clearly not OEM's fault, and clearly a lack of responsibility, communication, and negligence of addressing the issue by Intel.

0 Kudos
Ilene_K_Intel
Employee

Thank you very much for volunteering to assist us in troubleshooting your wireless issue. Currently we do not need any more volunteers.

Some people are finding that installing Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Software version 15.6.0 is improving their connectivity problem. We recommend that you install the software update now. If you continue to see a problem, make sure you include specific information such as your PC model, OS and any error messages when writing in this Forum.

Again I want to thank everyone for your patience as we continue working on a solution. Make sure you update your software regularly as relevant fixes are included in each release.

IleneK

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Model : Asus UX32VD

Driver: 15.6.0.19 (latest at the time of wrinting)

Having the 802.11n mode set to enable lead to terrible connectivity. I am not loosing the network but lot of packet loss during pings even on the internal network. Even with Power settings set to Maximum power.

Copying file from or to the PC is unstalble (speed varies from 7Mb/s to 0Mb/s). Streaming a movie from the NAS is lagging and chopping)

The only way to have a reliable connection is to disable the 802.11n mode. and therefore be on a 802.11g.

Still need to be fixed according to me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Model: Samsung 550p5c

Driver: 15.6.0.19 (latest driver)

I'm receiving terrible speeds when enabling the 802.11n mode. The connectivity seems to be reasonable, if not, maximum at times, however, the speed is the underlying problem for me (hovering around 10-20 Mb/s). I would really like to appreciate the qualities of this product, but I'm not experiencing that feeling at all.

I appreciate your hard work gathering information from volunteers, and I really hope this issue can be rectified as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I have updated my drivers to 15.6 on an ASUS Zenbook UX32A. The connectivity issues have not resolved itself, and might actually be worse. Connecting to wireless networks usually takes a very long time (even after Windows 8 reports a connection has already established), webpages frequently stop loading halfway through, or load very slowly. Resetting the wireless adapter or restarting my PC does nothing to alleviate the issue.

Please provide another update as soon as you can as it's very frustrating using a computer that cannot maintain an active connection when doing even mundane tasks such as checking email or watching a video. It also seems like the problem is rather widespread, affecting users using computers spread across half a dozen manufacturers and the number of users reporting problems with this particular wireless card seems to grow every day.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Model: Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook NP530U4C-A01US

WiFi: Centrino Advanced-N 6235

Driver: 15.3.1.2

I purchased this machine back in July 2012, and have had consistent problems with the 6235. I found this thread recently and read back a few pages. My issue is this: When the machine is connected to an access point, and I hibernate the laptop for long periods (usually overnight), or shut the machine down...when I wake the machine up, I will get a red no connection icon in the system tray. Running the Windows troubleshooter does nothing. If I do a full reboot, then the adapter is reset, and I can see available wireless networks.

The adapter basically works on every-other reboot, if that makes sense. It did this consistently for the first few months of ownership. Samsung support was clueless. At some point last fall, a driver revision (the 15.3.1.2 I have installed now) seemed to fix it for a short period of time. Recently, it's back to the behavior noted above, and has become extremely annoying, to say the least. I see that there is a newer version of the driver, and am willing to give it a try and report back. I'm just a little nervous about seeing reports of the new driver causing more speed issues with N networks...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Follow-up to last post:

I installed the latest 64 bit drivers for Win7. I hibernated the system, and just as before, I get a "not connected" error upon restoring the session. Running the Windows troubleshooter resulted in a hard lock-up of the OS when the troubleshooter tried to reset the wireless adapter. I was forced to do a hard power cycle.

After rebooting, I still had the "not connected" error. Looking at the device manager, the 6235 was disabled. I re-enabled the adapter, and was able to connect to a wi-fi network.

To my mind, this latest driver exhibits even greater instability. If someone from Intel support wants to run some additional diagnostics, I'm happy to help. If I don't hear soon, I'm going to roll-back to the previous driver version, though.

Thanks,

-Bret

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

NONE OF THE SUGGESTIONS WORK AND YES I KNOW THIS IS IN ALL CAPS. That's how ANNOYED I am after five months of this! Sick of having to manually connect my wireless on a brand new computer! NP550P5C-T01US

Message was edited by: nj olson adding my computer model, purchased BRAND NEW

0 Kudos