Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
JB26
New Contributor I

Mark,

Where is Intel's stance on this besides not admitting they did anything wrong or they have a broken and defective piece of hardware/software?

Extend our oem warranties the amount of time this issue has not been resolved

Financial compensation for lost time and aggravation.

Public apology from Intel to its customer's for not issuing a timely resolution.

Who is with me?

0 Kudos
IPetr5
Beginner

Toyota (as a respectable company ) recalls 369,000 vehicles worldwide, but greed Inntel knows no bounds it seems. And company stubbornly leads us by the nose for more than a year.

0 Kudos
SKrie1
Beginner

boz,

Financial compensation or extension of the laptop's OEM warranty won't happen. I'd never expect that -- but would of course be happy if such a miracle did occur. An apology is a possibility, but not likely until after the issue has been fixed.

mr19,

I understand your point. I simply don't like to refer to something as a solution if it's not 100%. That's a software engineer thing :).

0 Kudos
SKell6
Beginner

I just purchased a Samsung ATIV Book 4 NP470R5E-KO2UB with the Intel Core i7 3537U.

Same Issue!

I was able to resolve the issue by going to device manager and uninstalling the Intel driver ver. 16.whatever. I then connected to wired internet just in case it needed to search for a new driver online and then rebooted. Windows automatically installed a Microsoft Driver ver, 14.8.8.75 ... It is now remaining connected and downloads are working at a much faster speed! Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
ESund
Beginner

I bought a Dell 13z early in the Summer. It came with a Centrino 2235 wireless card. I had connection drops and issues. So I decided to purchase an Intel 6235 card. It worked for a short period of time before failure set in. I tried everything imaginable with my advanced computer skills. Nothing worked. None of the options given by other users worked.

My solution was to contact Dell for a warranty repair. I specifically requested a Dell wireless card for replacement, not an Intel card. They eventually came through. I'm still hanging on to my 6235 card for when Intel corrects the problem. The range on the card is superior and yet disappointing.

Intel is an outstanding company. It's truly disappointing that this issue cripples their reputation and ability to create usable products that are reliable and stable. Good luck, I'll be waiting for a plug and play solution. Life to short to have to fiddle around with settings and other nonsense that doesn't correct the problem. People have valuable time that is wasted here on this issue.

0 Kudos
SKrie1
Beginner

Windows 8.1 is shipping with driver version 15.10.0.12... which does seem to suffer from the issues discussed in this thread (had it happen to me within a few hours of install). Is there any way to download and install the old 14.8.8.75 driver? The downgrade trick that works with Windows 8(.0) won't work here. If there is no way to downgrade to the old driver then anyone thinking of upgrading to Windows 8.1 may wish to hold off until (if) Intel finally fixes their driver.

0 Kudos
EKong
Beginner

If I have windows 8.0, I can downgrade my driver to the old 14.8.8.75 driver and it will do what exactly? Better range? Better at holding a connection?

0 Kudos
AGrad
Beginner

An Atheros AR9380 HB112 is also very good card. It is also dual band and have three antenna connect. Or Broadcom BCM94322HM8L as example (Very cheap arround 10-15$) but they don't have bluetooth.

Or my best choice the ATHEROS AR5B22 with dual band support and bluetooth 4.0.

0 Kudos
BFree2
Beginner

Just got off the phone with Samsung, they are still denying there's any problem! I first complained to them about the wireless card in my Series 5 back in February. Tweeted my complaint https://twitter.com/benofreedman/status/385042592817106946 here, if this problem is beginning to annoy you feel free to retweet.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

This article seems to be getting a lot of attention from Intel so everyone should make a post in there as well.

http://www.neowin.net/news/intels-wi-fi-adapters-connectivity-issues-continue Intel&# 039;s Wi-Fi adapters connectivity issues continue - Neowin

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

This is what happened when I went to update the drivers to another failed driver update from Intel...

So Intel what is an Error (-10)???

0 Kudos
MRenn2
Beginner

Where are people buying the Killer 1202 adapters?

I need a solution and it doesn't seem like one involving the 6235 is happening anytime soon.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
EKong
Beginner
0 Kudos
MRoss16
Beginner

Bought mine off Amazon and paid a bit extra for overnight. Ordered on Sat and was surprisingly at my house by Mon. Seems I lied in an earlier post, total cost was actually $53.94 (not $45) including shipping.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

mr19 wrote:

Bought mine off Amazon and paid a bit extra for overnight. Ordered on Sat and was surprisingly at my house by Mon. Seems I lied in an earlier post, total cost was actually $53.94 (not $45) including shipping.

Seems too expensive for a wireless-N adapter. You could've bought Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for 1/2 the price, but then again we're not sure if another Intel card will fix wireless dropouts.

0 Kudos
MRoss16
Beginner

I agree was about $20 higher than I wanted to pay but I wasn't willing to buy an Intel adapter and just wanted it fixed ASAP.

0 Kudos
VMila
Beginner

I have completely solved the problem.

But you must use WPA Personal TKIP.

let all notified as above except for roaming aggressiveness setting, put on 5.

Then do the following:

go to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center, left click on Change adapter settings.

There you should see an Wi-Fi, right click on it click properties, look on the right there is a bar for you to get down to the bottom, there you will see Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).

Choose the properties you will see the button (bottom right) click on it, then look down you will see the Advanced ... button, click on the top right there WINS click, uncheck: Enable LMHOSTS lookup.

In Parameters/paramètres NetBios must tick: Disable NetBIOS over TCP / IP, confirm by clicking OK.

if you still have disconnections try this: go to the command prompt to run the administrator then copy these two lines of command netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = disallow, restart the computer.

If it still does not go to Control Panel ==> System and Security ==> Administrative Tools ==> Services. Search and double click: Automatic configuration of devices connected to the network. Once above click Disabled in the Startup type.

also see if: Network Connections in Startup type, automatic, otherwise do as the previous procedure and put Connections networks automatically.

double-click Network Connections and startup type switch: Automatic.

Let me know the result.

Victor

0 Kudos
EKong
Beginner

interesting...this is a new solution. I will give it shot, my killer 1202 will arrive today...haha

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Let us know how it goes....

BTW, what ISP is your router from and who's it made by?

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Agree this is not a fix - it's a workaround but good if it works go for it!

On the 1202 Killer wireless adaptor. This is one of the most expensive cards but well worth the money. I bought a Broadcom for $20 to move to a holding pattern whilst Intel got its act together. It's obvious it has not and I doubt any time soon given a year of posts. The Broadcom was okay but the drivers are OEM meaning Broadcom does not ship drivers. As such I was stuck on the older windows drivers for it (they worked okay though) and so the card was not spectacular. I bit the bullet and went for the Killer 1202. The drivers (Win 8 64bit) are straight from killer's website. The install was a piece of cake. The drivers come with a Killer network utility to prioritise internet gaming traffic as this card is a gamer's card that AlienWare laptops ship with. The app can't be uninstalled but was not a lot of use for a normal user like me so I set the application to not run on boot up through windows services. It does not bother me at all now.

Features are it's low power setting - great for my Samsung ATIV slate, Bluetooth 4. It sleeps and wakes up well and the connection is rock solid and really fast from distance from the APs I have. So unless you really need WiDi this card is a better card than the Intel Centrino in my opinion. It's well worth the money.

C-

0 Kudos
BSj_s
Beginner

I have an Intel 6230 in a Dell laptop with Win8 and a D-link DIR-857 router and have had problems for almost a year. Router is replaced, 6230 network card is replaced. I have tested all drivers and all firmwares with no luck.

I tried a Broadcom adapter but my Dell did not accept it due to white listing in bios of adapters.

Now i tested a Intel AC7260 with drivers 16.1.5 and it works perfect in my setup. It has been running for one week now.

Interesting is that when running inSSIDer to monitor wireless networks around me I could see an increase in signal strength from my router of 10dBm. With 6230 i had -50dBm on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. After replacing with AC7260 i get -40dBm on both bands.

An other note is that an old laptop running XP with Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG has always worked and showed -40dBm form my router.

0 Kudos