Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Thinpad 11e Yoga Gen6 with Intel BT AC 9260 not working in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

mrdasa
Beginner

The Thinkpad 11e Yoga Gen6 uses the newest Intel Wireless AC-9260. WLAN is working so far in Ubuntu 20.04.02 with latest updates but BT is not working. I posted already the Issue at Ubuntu (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2460280), and it looks like that the devices requires a new Firmware than version 46. My question is now does Intel already know the issue? Thanx for helping!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello mrdasa,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

We appreciate your feedback, however, even though the adapter supports Linux operating systems our drivers are meant for windows devices. Any drivers or new firmware must be provided by the operating system developers (Linux, Chrome OS).

I recommend you get in contact with the Linux support for drivers and/or firmware (this is because you mentioned that it needs a new firmware), but if you would like to troubleshoot, please try/provide the following:

1. . Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Bluetooth troubleshooting steps:

A) Check whether the Bluetooth adapter is identified by the system:

Run "hciconfig -a" command and check the details. If adapter is identified, the details will be shown as below. If hciconfig shows that adapter is down, proceed with the Step 2:

B) Enable Bluetooth adapter:

If hciconfig shows that the adapter is down, lesser details of the adapter will be shown as below.

Enable the adapter by running "hciconfig -i <interface name> up"

C) Identifuing adapter:

If hciconfig is not showing any details, then check if the system is identifying adapter using "lsusb | grep 8087" command

If "lsusb | grep 8087" is not showing any details, then the adapter is not identified and you should check whether the adapter is integrated properly and contact the system manufacturer.

D) Check if Bluetooth drivers are loaded:

If lsusb is showing BT adapter then check if Bluetooth drivers are loaded. Please type: modinfo btintel

If Intel BT drivers are not installed, then modinfo command will print "modinfo: ERROR: Module btintel not found". Driver installation required.

E) FW installation: Get the firmware version installed. If the firmware old, install the latest firmware:

Run the "dmesg | grep Bluetooth" command and check the firmware version

If the firmware version is not available in dmesg, then check in syslog. Run below command:

grep Bluetooth /var/log/syslog | grep -i -e "Firmware revision" -e "ibt"

If Please visit here for latest firmware - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

Regards,   

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

mrdasa
Beginner

Hi Deivid

I attached the scanned output and the output of the commands you suggested to run. Well i looked into the firmware archive and compated it to the /lib/firmware/intel directory and it really looks the same. But why it loads the firmware 18-16 instead of a newer one 20-x? This i do not know. Well BT ist still not working and i do not know what to do about. Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Dani

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello mrdasa, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello mrdasa, 

Based on your logs (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2460280) looks like the Bluetooth is hard-blocked by the thinkpad_acpi on the Lenovo Thinkpad platform:

ID TYPE DEVICE SOFT HARD

0 bluetooth tpacpi_bluetooth_sw entsperrt blockiert

[ 4.332405] thinkpad_acpi: rfkill switch tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: radio is blocked

Considering the previous statement, please try the following troubleshooting steps in the next links:

1. https://itectec.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-how-to-enable-hard-blocked-bluetooth-in-thinkpad-edge-320/

2. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_setup_Bluetooth

If the previous steps did not work, I recommend you to get in contact with Lenovo for any further steps.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
mrdasa
Beginner

Hi Deivid

I did both points you mentioned already before i posted the issue here - without success. For example if i try to unblock it:

sudo bash

su

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/bluetooth_enable

it gives me following error: echo Schreibfehler: Vorgang nicht zulässig (Write error, not allowed)

Well when i go pack to Lenovo they say again, that they do not develop Linux drivers at all.. When i go back to Canonical they say it looks like a firmware issue.

I do not know what to do at the moment. Its little bit confusing. Thanx Deivid for your time you spent.

Regards, Dani

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello mrdasa, 

Based on the research performed this looks like a manufacturer limitation, and considering the results from the steps recommended my last advice are the following:

1. Check with your Linux distributor for firmware updates.

2. Try with a previous firmware version.

3. Check with the laptop manufacturer for a replacement.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,   

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos