Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Upgrade for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

JRD077
Beginner

I was hoping someone could help me find a replacement for this adapter, I have been having countless connectivity problems with it and it seems to be a range issue for the most part. Our new router puts out a gigabyte service, and we have no problem on any of our other devices, however this computer keeps disconnecting, and we have another computer that is further away yet still maintains connection. When I move closer to the router it no longer disconnects but still has a weak connection overall. I have attached a detailed report on the computer specs and hope I can get some advice on an upgrade.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Diagnosing this any further requires either a replacement module or a temporary external antenna. I don't like the thought of purchasing the antenna (especially one that has to go right down the the pigtail connectors), as it isn't itself a solution; it is just a way of identifying whether the internal antenna is damaged. If the replacement module can also be an upgrade, then it can be justified even if the problem proved to be the antenna.

There is, in fact, a replacement module that represents a good upgrade. The Intel AX200 module (~US$20 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Network-AX200-NGWG-NV-AX2002230-Retail/dp/B07ZVYKRW9) adds support for Wireless-AX and WiFi 6 and improves speed potential to 2.4Gb/s.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This sounds more like an antenna issue than a card issue. Have you verified that the antennas are properly attached to the card and that the antenna wire has not been broken or disconnected at point of entry into laptop's lid?

...S

0 Kudos
JRD077
Beginner
Yes so I inspected it before posting this just to make sure everything was in place, I even made an attempt to lightly nudge them to see if there was any sort of movement and there was none. The wires also seem to be in good condition, I can not see where the other ends go into however but I would have to completely disassemble it to see if there’s a problem, something I would rather not do since I do not have much experience in this area, in terms of reassembling.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Diagnosing this any further requires either a replacement module or a temporary external antenna. I don't like the thought of purchasing the antenna (especially one that has to go right down the the pigtail connectors), as it isn't itself a solution; it is just a way of identifying whether the internal antenna is damaged. If the replacement module can also be an upgrade, then it can be justified even if the problem proved to be the antenna.

There is, in fact, a replacement module that represents a good upgrade. The Intel AX200 module (~US$20 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Network-AX200-NGWG-NV-AX2002230-Retail/dp/B07ZVYKRW9) adds support for Wireless-AX and WiFi 6 and improves speed potential to 2.4Gb/s.

Hope this helps,

...S

DBrewer2
Beginner

In case it helps, we had similar problems connecting a laptop with an 8265 wifi card to a new wifi 6 router. The laptop would authenticate and connect, but then it disconnected after a second. Range did not appear to be an issue; it always connected and rapidly disconnected at any range.

The problem resolved after we installed the latest drivers (ver 21.120.2, dated Sept 2020 and after this forum post). 

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
AaronV
Beginner
Hi there. Another Lenovo user here with a faulty wifi card. Based on this thread I tried updating the drivers, but ultimately replaced the card with an intel AX210. Had to be slightly careful to make sure the card had the right form factor. Happily the Lenovo was easily repairable: removed 8 screws from the bottom of the case and removed it. The wifi card was directly accessible under the case cover.
0 Kudos