Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

WIFI stopped working: Acer Swift 3 SF314-58G-54XQ Laptop

BradKoerner
Beginner

Hi Intel Community,

I'm fighting a tough problem on my son's laptop: The WIFI has suddenly stopped working.

It is a 3 year old Acer Swift 3 SF314-58G-54XQ. Running most up to date Windows 11. Intel WIFI AX201 160MHZ.

We tried:

1. Downloading newest Intel WIFI driver; Completely uninstalling, deleting and reinstalling the driver (via USB drive). No effect.

2. Loading in safe mode. No effect.

3. Completely reinstalled Windows 11 (including a tricky bypass during setup b/c of no internet).

Surprisingly, this brought WIFI back to life shortly. So we can rule out hardware failure. But then minutes later the WIFI dropped again.

4. Just rolled back all updates that Windows 11 started to install. No effect, still not WIFI

5. In the driver device status we're seeing a "This device cannot start (Code 10)" error. Screen shot below.

Any help?  Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-05 at 12.56.14_798a78ba.jpg

0 Kudos
11 Replies
BradKoerner
Beginner

Update: We found this prior thread and it has seemed to work...so far! Solved: Wifi driver AX201 not working - Intel Community

0 Kudos
BradKoerner
Beginner

Update 2: The complex fix in the link above worked only temporarily.

After the wifi connection was working again fine, we restarted the laptop, the problem reoccurs and we loose the wifi connection permanently.

PLEASE HELP!

This laptop worked flawlessly for 3 years. Anyone know the root cause of this problem? What changed?

0 Kudos
BradKoerner
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson  Maybe you could help? Your solution worked, but only until we restart. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Gee, I thought I made that process slam-dunk simple...    :^(

So what I think is happening is that the latest build is not working for your laptop. I suggest you go to your vendor's page for this laptop and download and install the original versions of the drive packages that are provided there.

Let me know if this works,

...S

0 Kudos
BradKoerner
Beginner
No luck. We tried your process using both the original Acer drivers from their website and the Intel ones you linked to.
After that we tried again a complete Windows refresh/wipe and this time, the wifi never worked.
We're really at a loss...any ideas?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

On a fresh Windows installation, before ever using any downloads from Intel or vendor sites, you need to install the Chipset Device Software package. This should be provided by your vendor, so check their downloads. In addition to resolving and optimally configuring the Intel devices that make up the chipset (and some processor features) as well as possibly other core features of the motherboard, this package also seems to resolve some issues that people have with the installation of other Intel-generated driver packages. Too many people expect that Windows Update will take care of this for them. No, it doesn't; wrong in so many ways.

So, you are at this point where you have a 'bad' install of the Intel Wireless (and Bluetooth) drivers. I suggest that you do the following:

1. Install the version of the Chipset Device Software package provided by your motherboard/system provider (ya, I am like a broken record sometimes).
  2. Following my previously-detailed Clean Install process (if you need a version of this added to this conversation, let me know), Clean Install the original versions of the Wireless and Bluetooth packages provided by your motherboard/system vendor.
  3. You should be working properly at this point. You should be able to successfully follow with the installation of later/latest Wireless and Bluetooth packages provided by Windows Update, the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and any vendor-supplied driver update utilities.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. If they only provided a version of the Chipset Device Software package for Windows 10, try using that version; it should work for Windows 11.

P.S. The Chipset Device Software package is often referred to as the INF Update package.

0 Kudos
BradKoerner
Beginner

Thanks Scott for your help. But unfortunately nothing is working. Maybe someday we'll take this laptop and try a Linux distro on it, to see if the wifi chips are flakey or not.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @BradKoerner

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

We sincerely regret you are experiencing issues with the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (Gig+), we will be more than happy to assist you.

Several customers have reported the issue being fixed by to performing a Cold reboot of the system after reinstalling the driver. This refers to fully shut down the device and remove all sources of power, including batteries if applicable, then repowering. Intel recommends following this troubleshooting step as first approach to the issue.

Please make sure the BIOS is up to date (contact the system manufacturer).

Also, in order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello BradKoerner

We hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to perform the Cold Reboot and check for BIOS updates? 

Let us know if you still need assistance by attaching the required report. 

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello BradKoerner

We hope you are having a nice day. 

We have not heard back from you. So, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards. 

Jose B.  

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
BradKoerner
Beginner

Hi Jose,

Nothing worked for us. We gave up and bought a new laptop.

So close the thread.

Thanks, Brad

0 Kudos