Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Weak wifi reception, please help.

aflor16
Beginner

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7559 and i connected to my wifi network. i went to my room which is right next to my router, just a wall in between and the reception went to one bar. all my other devices work fine except this one. it's very frustrating.. yes i have changed roaming aggression and the power saving and a few other things. does anyone know an actual working solution? (i have a intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160)

mini update: i tried trouble shooting and gave me the following errors:

-Problem with wireless adapter or access point

-A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken

-The default gateway is not available

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello aflor16,

Thank you for posting on this Intel Community.

To address performance issues, please check this information:

1. If using 2.4 GHz, try using 5 GHz band instead.

2. If using 2.4 GHz band, use only channels 1, 6, or 11. If using the 5 GHz band, use channels 36, 40, 44, or 48.

3. Check the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

4. If the issue persists, make sure your operating system and drivers are up to date.

Find a driver for your Inspiron 15 7559

Note: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

We recommend performing a clean installation of the wireless driver provided by your system manufacturer following these steps:

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

In addition, please check this useful information about Wi-Fi connections:

Range is affected by the following factors:

1. Building materials, such as steel and drywall, can shorten the range of the radio signals.

2. Physical layout of the area can interfere and cause dropped signals.

3. Electronic noise from cell phones, microwave ovens, or other devices on the same frequency, can interfere with signal transmissions.

Pros and cons for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz:

2.4 GHz

Pros: Longer range, better at going through obstacles (for example, walls), better support (more wireless devices support 2.4 GHz compared to 5 GHz).

Cons: Slower throughput, fewer channels that dont overlap, more congested than 5 GHz networks because household devices (for example, microwaves and cordless phones) and Bluetooth devices use the 2.4 GHz network band.

5 GHz

Pros: Faster throughput, less congested channels, more channels that don't overlap.

Cons: Shorter range compared to 2.4 GHz networks. It does not go through walls and other obstacles as well as 2.4 GHz networks, not as widely used by other devices.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello aflor16,

Were you able to follow the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Wanner G.

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello aflor16,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos