Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7353 Discussions

Why does my AC-3165 not connect automatically to my wifi and why does it not see the 5GHz band

BCrab
Beginner

I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10 with Intel Dual-Band Wireless AC-3165 adapter, which never connects to my wifi until I disable and re-enable the adapter (turn wifi off and on).

Even then, it does not see the 5GHz band at all.

When I look at Device Manager properties, I see the Event message:

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3165&SUBSYS_44108086&REV_79\701CE7FFFFCFD20800 requires further installation.

Is that an indication of the error causing the problem?

All help appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello BCrab, Thank you for posting on the Intel Community. For connectivity issues with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, please try the following steps: 1. Clean installation using the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver (Dell*) first, since they have customized and validated the driver for their system. 2. If the prior step doesn’t work, please try a clean installation using the Intel driver. Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28687/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=89450 3. If by following the prior steps the issue is not fixed, please reset the BIOS back to defaults. 4. We have seen cases that this issue might be fixed by updating the BIOS to the latest version, my recommendation is to contact the OEM for instructions. Regarding your question about the bandwidth, please check the Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings. Under the option of Channel width or 802.11n Channel width (band 2.4/5GHz) Use channel width to set high throughput mode channel width in order to maximize performance. • Auto (default): For band 5GHz, this setting uses 20/40/80/160 MHz depending on the wireless access point or router. • 20 MHz. You can check this information on the following link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html I hope this helps! Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello BCrab, I would like to know if the information provided helped you with you question. Regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
BCrab
Beginner

Oscar,

I have just updated the BIOS and it looks like this has fixed the problem. Mine was 2 versions back.

I have now tried twice to shutdown and start up again and it has connected successfully, so I am hopeful that it will continue to work.

Thanks for your input. Brian

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello BCrab, I am glad to hear that you were able to fix the issue by updating the BIOS. Regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos