Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

Wi-fi adapter issues

LiamNoble
Beginner

Hi

Currently investigating an issue our company is having.

We are seeing multiple devices with Wi-Fi Adapters being disabled or Wi-Fi not working one two of our company sites.

Multiple logs for Netwtw10 - 5005 - Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed. and Netwtw10 - 5002 - Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

I have recently had two updates pushed out by Dell/Intel for Wi-Fi drivers to my laptop, whilst working remotely.  I visited the impacted site yesterday and although my adapter did not disable, I began to get multiple errors that I do not get on any other site I visit or on my home network.

Other users are having similar symptoms.  I have spoken to our network team and they have outright refused to investigate as the network would not cause these issues apparently.

Other users have also not noted any updates being pushed to their machines.  An update to the version 22.200.0 seems to work for some people but not all.

I have posted my event viewer with the Netwt10 errors filtered to critical etc and also the event viewer for previous 24 hours for all events incase anything is shown their.  This will also include logging on to my home network this morning.

Could anyone advise please?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Barrythehen,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one? 

2. Is the Bluetooth working? 

3. What is the brand and model name of your router/modem?

4. Is the router/modem running the latest firmware?

5. Is the issue recent? When did it start?

6. Did you run all the operating system optional updates?   

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
LiamNoble
Beginner

Hi Deivid

In answer to your question, we are working within an enterprise environment, with dedicated lines for Wi-Fi and date seperated.

The site runs on a cisco DNA network.

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?  Nothing has changed - all devices impacted have ntel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz adapters installed.  Laptops only have been impacted.

2. Is the Bluetooth working? Yes

3. What is the brand and model name of your router/modem? Not known

4. Is the router/modem running the latest firmware? All devices will be up to date

5. Is the issue recent? When did it start? started on 27th February

6. Did you run all the operating system optional updates?   All devices are up todate from OS level

0 Kudos
LiamNoble
Beginner

Our network devices are the following - Cisco C9120AXI-E Access Point running v17.6.4.56 / controlled by Cisco C9800-L-F-K9 Wireless Controller running 17.6.4 / centrally managed by Cisco DNA 

0 Kudos
JPavonM
New Contributor I

@LiamNoble this code your network is running is not the recommended version, see this link from Cisco.

The fact that your device is working at home and other sites is not relevant, as every network have it's own features enabled and also the different security features are enabled for authentication, that could trigger OS issues (like the ones MS fixed for 802.11w-pmf or WPA3 recently). Normally enterprise WLANs use 802.1X and that could lead to operating system's supplicant issues.

It's true that the network won't make the wNIC to disable as this is managed by the operating system, but any other weird issue or error could be due to a defect in the Cisco code, such as lost of IP address, disconnections while roaming, traffic drops, but also to software defects so the best way to address the troubleshooting would be to reproduce the issue with another wireless adapter from other vendor, internal one or USB dongle with the same specifications (802.11ax Wi-Fi 6).

If issues happen to different adapters, maybe look at the OS level and ask Networks team to create another corporate SSID with the basic features only to test how it looks like.

HTH

Jesus

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Barrythehen, 

Thanks for the confirmation. Based on the previous information, I would like you to try the following:

1. Try a clean install of the Intel driver:

2. Try the recommended settings for 802.11ax connectivity:

3. Confirm that the laptops are running the latest BIOS version.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
LiamNoble
Beginner

Hi Jesus

Many thanks for your response.

I have passed the details over to our network team, who have responded with the following:

> Normally enterprise WLANs use 802.1X and that could lead to operating system's supplicant issues.

Correct, we use EAP-TLS in our environment

> but any other weird issue or error could be due to a defect in the Cisco code, such as lost of IP address, disconnections while roaming, traffic drops, but also to software defects

We have no indication of such errors. We can’t raise tickets with Cisco on the assumption something might be wrong without any proof. Hence, we’d like to ask that you keep investigating / troubleshooting the wNIC as we need to determine why the wNIC is disabled (are there any low level logs available). With that information we can go back to Cisco and have them investigate the problem.

0 Kudos