Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7437 Discussions

WiFi E6 AX211 not detected on my notebook

dean_b
Novice
Had for while issue with my Asus 3003 notebook getting constantly disconnected from my Samsung android hotspot. Non of the tips on internet helped. Was suspecting some RF interferiance but could not proove it. The only thing left to do was anulate compatibility missmatch between wifi 4.0 in my note book and wifi 6.0 on Samsung smartphone. Ordered latest WiFi BT card above, downloaded drivers, removed old ones, installed new ones. Put new E6 in slot in notebook. After power on HW is dead. Not detected at all. Try back and forth swapping them. Old one detected and working...the new one never. It looks like the HW of E6 AX211 is for some reason not compatible with my laptop. Have latest Win 10 pro 64bit version with all updates installed. Hope somebody has an idea. Br Dean
0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I wasn't able to locate any 3003 notebook on the Asus site, so do not have enough information to analyze this problem properly - but I do have a good idea regarding what is going wrong.

The AX211 module is essentially a PHY component-only module. It requires a chipset that provides the corresponding MAC component and a special version of the M.2 Type E socket that supports the CNVio2 bus that is necessary to connect the two components together. If your laptop does not meet these criteria, then the component is definitely going to appear to be dead.

The problem here would be that you have purchased the wrong module. For laptops that do not meet these criteria, you need the AX210 module. The AX210 module is a standalone solution providing both the PHY and MAC components and which plugs into the standard M.2 Type E socket. Bottom line, this being the case, you need to return the AX211 module and purchase an AX210 module.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
dean_b
Novice

Hi Scott!

Thank you very much for this competent feedback. Much appreciated. 

My apologies for typo in regards to my notebook it is Asus UX303L.  The info was inadequate for me in order to recognize this incompatibility.  Will return it and get AX210.

However, the reason for me hustling with all of this is.

Since couple of years constant issue with using hotspot with my Samsung android phone. It is intermittent constant disconnect problem.

It has increased with time. Not sure what reason could be? Was checking on internet but all tips and instructions where useless. As I expected. In my opinion there could be 2 possible  issues. Either enabling a lot of new UMTS 4G and 5G frequency bands are creating trouble and RF interference, or there is clear incompatibility between WiFi 802.11ac WiFi 5.0 and latest WiFi 6.0 802.11ax-2021 or 802.11ax  which is supported by my Samsung Galaxy S20+. This issue is happening across devices and smartphone brands...Apple as well. 

This issue does not happen with any kind of WiFi routers. Now WiFi SoCs are rather small and protocol signalling sw ...in my opinion does not differ between smart phone and WiFi router. So, I decided to ignore the fact that RF interference is the reason and for many users common issue for these irritating disconnections.

I decided to upgrade to latest the greatest WiFi card available hence the purchaise of AX211+.

The users would be appreciative if you have any opinion of what the reason for this could be. My analogy, or something else?

Please respond before I decide to swap AX211 to AX210 as possible solution for my problem.

Many thank Scott in advance!!

Br Dean   

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, are you saying that you have tried multiple laptops/computers and multiple smartphones? That is, you see disconnection issues regardless of what computer you are using to connect to the hotspot and regardless of what smartphone you are using to host the hotspot? Or, is it always the same computer that you are trying to use?

If it is always the same computer, then the hairy finger is pointing at the computer - and likely its wireless solution - as being the problem. In this case, upgrading to the AX210 module, in addition to adding the Wireless-AX and WiFi 6e support, should hopefully alleviate the disconnection issue. It also adds a level of future-proofing as this module could be moved to a new laptop.

If the problem happens with multiple computers, then you are looking at the problem being something else - and yes, I would blame interference. In this case, upgrading to the AX210 isn't going to hurt - and it is going to add Wireless-AX and WiFi 6e support (which, if you can use it, may get you away from the interference), not to mention a level of future-proofing.

Now, all that said, some manufacturers use inclusion/exclusion lists in their BIOS to block the user from upgrading the wireless component. This is a slimy way of forcing the user to only upgrade through the vendor. If this is the case, then you may have problems with the upgrade. I haven't dealt with Asus laptops - and we are talking about a unit that is 6-7 years old - sop cannot comment on whether you will encounter any issues (I would hope not).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
dean_b
Novice

Me personally no. I never tried any other laptops. But searching on internet I have noticed that many users have same trouble. Regardless of phone(Android, Apple) and regardless laptops they have been using. All tips there where on settings basis...no help at all.

The issue occurred and increased gradually.  And eventually for me became unbearable. Start digging on my own since I come from wireless dev industry since 2G,UMTS and LTE latest tech I worked with. or me there where 2 options left. Severe interference that I could not proof checking WiFi RF radio link control ...and some protocol issues between  WiFi 5.0 and WiFi 6.0. Now bear in mind this ONLY happens when notebook connected to smart phone  is via hot spot.  Interference could be since routers have better ant diversity in order to annulate freq phase shifting on these high frequencies. Anyway simple try would be changing wifi card as you said ...it will be at least upgraded to better version ax. 

I did ask the question to ASUS customer care and got quite doggy answer:

"Unfortunately, you will not be able to install another part than the original one to your device, because the parts are designed to be installed on specific models of devices.The part, although looking similar, are not compatible with each other, either by color or by design."

Did ask again for a better and more competent feed back ...lets see. But it looks like your anticipated theory is probably correct. I did found on internet youtube instructions to change wifi on exactly same laptop...no mentioning of any BIOS HW list lock.

What I have noticed when I use BT earbuds and this happens I loose even connection pairing with laptop with my earbuds. It looks honestly as the embedded stack in the WiFi card is crashing and restarting and then connects again automatically. This is not issue of RF link distorted. It seems more like logical issue of SW incompatibility of some kind hence my attempt to upgrade. Intel is not supporting with SW updates current AX7260 since April 2019.

Not sure if should still order AX210, nor trying fibbing with  BIOS...could be hazardous.     

Cheers Dean

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, I would wait until you know what's going on with the socket. If it's not M.2 or M.1 (i.e. the older PCIe Half Mini Card format), then this may be a show-stopper. Can you post a picture of both sides of the (removed) card? This will tell us much.

If the requirement is M.1, the bad news is that Intel doesn't make any AX cards in this format - but I *have* seen 3rd-party M.1 cards that have Intel's AX210 silicon on them. Here is an example: https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-wi-fi6e-mpe-axe3000h-mini-pcie/p/0XM-00JK-000A9). I haven't tried this card, but I have used their (Fenvi's) M.1 card with AX200 silicon and it works well. Here is what I purchased: https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-mpe-ax3000h-mini-pcie/p/0XM-00JK-00098.

...S

Edit: I have ordered one of the AXE3000H cards to give it a try.

0 Kudos
dean_b
Novice

I have put together the laptop with AC 7260 back inside. Anyway from socket perspective 7260 and 210 are identical. 

AX210:   M.2 2230, M.2 1216, Wi-Fi(PCIe), BT(USB)

Ax7260: HMC and M.2 2230, PCIe, USB

The only difference I see are the connecting pads on AX210 have 2 active connecting pads in section E. These are on AC7260 empty in section E.

Do you think that from HW perspective this is 100% compatible? 

Did yesterday a BIOS upgrade to ASUS UX303LN V.206. Was quite smooth. Not sure if this will make any difference. 

Will wait for your comment and act accordingly if from HW perspective AX210 is compatible. If ASUS HW listing active we can not influence. 

BR, Dean

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm... At the back of my mind, what you've said sparked a memory. I remember some cases where people had to tape off certain pins to get devices working in certain laptops. I could not find mention of Asus in the related discussions, however, but there may be some helpful information:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/AX200-Bluetooth-only-works-by-taping-pins-51-amp-20/m-p/1277203

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/pin-51-NGFF/m-p/510800

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/ax200-wireless-works-great-bluetooth-completely-missing/m-p/730797

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-9260-Bluetooth-not-working/m-p/685470

Regardless, I am not sure I can recommend proceeding. You would have to make the purchase to try this, um, hack.

...S

0 Kudos