Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

WiFi connection issue with Intel AC 9260

MLema5
Novice

I recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron 7580 which came with an Intel Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz network adapter.

Since taking delivery, I've experienced intermittent WiFi connection issues i.e. dropping connection, connected but no internet, disabled WiFi card etc. I also noticed various 'Netwtw08' events logged in the System event log relating to the WiFi card at the time these events occurred. At times the WiFi works seamlessly, but at other times I can turn the laptop on & it will not connect at all.

Back in Feb, I upgraded the driver from 20.70.0.5 to the latest available at the time 20.120.0. However, I still experienced issues and later in March noticed that a newer driver was available on the Intel site - 20.120.1.1, which I then upgraded to.

Things had been going fairly well since, but today I experienced another issue & couldn't connect to the WiFi:

Log Name:   System

Source:    Netwtw08

Date:     21/03/2019 18:11:03

Event ID:   5010

Task Category: None

Level:     Error

Keywords:   Classic

User:     N/A

Description:

Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

I cannot see any newer drivers available, so am not sure what to try next. A search online suggests that I'm not the only one experiencing problems with this card. Further to that, the frequency at which Intel appear to be providing driver updates for this device, suggest that there are on-going problems with it?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Thank you for posting on this Community. We noticed that you are using generic wireless drivers. We would like to know if these wireless connection issues occur if you use Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers only. Please perform a clean install of the wireless driver and install the latest driver provided by your system manufacturer. Support for Inspiron 7580 https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/crbsdt1/product-support/product/inspiron-15-7580-laptop/drivers Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html If the issue persists after installing OEM drivers, please go to Device Manager > Network adapters and look for error codes. Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MLema5
Novice

Hi & thanks for the reply.

It sounds like you're advising that I use the latest OEM driver version (20.70.0.8912) as opposed to the latest driver available from the Intel website (20.120.1.1)?

The laptop came shipped with driver version 20.70.0.5 which I upgraded due to the issues I was having from the outset. Do you still advise to 'downgrade' to 20.70.0.8912 OEM?

Here's a snapshot of the Event IDs I see today in my System Event Log with 20.120.1.1 installed.

Event ID = 5002, Source = Netwtw08 - Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

Event ID = 5005, Source = Netwtw08 - Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

Event ID = 6666, Source = Netwtw08 - Firmware dbgc dump trigger

Event ID = 10400, Source = NDIS- The network interface "Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 61 time(s) since it was last initialized.

I've uploaded my saved SSU output as requested.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Thank you for your response. Intel drivers are generic and for general purposes. They may or may not address the connectivity issues you are having. We recommend performing a clean install of the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver because they contain customizations for your system. When performing a clean install, you also make sure that previous driver versions are not causing system conflict. Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html If the issue persists after performing the clean installation of the OEM driver, then you can perform these steps using the latest generic driver you are currently using for testing purposes. We also recommend checking Windows* Updates, scan and apply all of them. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MLema5
Novice

I've followed the steps to perform a clean installation of the latest OEM driver. I had to repeat the removal process a few times, downgrading the driver to an earlier, previous version each time. When I reached the final time that I could do this, there was no option to delete the driver files when uninstalling the device.

The driver is now running at version 20.70.0.5 & I'll continue to monitor.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Thank you for your response. If the issue persists, please let us know. We will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MLema5
Novice

I performed a clean installation of the latest OEM Driver (20.70.0.5) yesterday, but still experienced issues today:

Event ID = 5002, Source = Netwtw06 - Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

Event ID = 5005, Source = Netwtw06 - Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

Event ID = 10400, Source = NDIS - The network interface "Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 26 time(s) since it was last initialized.

Event ID = 6666, Source = Netwtw06 - 6666 - Firmware dbgc dump trigger

I'm going to perform a clean installation of the latest generic driver as advised & see how that goes.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Are you receiving error codes in Windows* Device Manager? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MLema5
Novice

There are no error codes or icons indicating an issue with the Wireless card under Device Manager. Further to that, viewing Properties > Events for the device only shows Events from when I was last running the latest OEM Driver (20.70.0.5).

I've been working from home today, connected all day using the latest generic driver (20.120.1.1). I've not experienced any noticeable connection issues, but the System event log suggests that it's still not happy:

Event ID = 7025, Source = Netwtw08, Type = Info - 7025 - Dump after return from D3 before cmd 

Event ID = 7026, Source = Netwtw08, Type = Info - 7026 - Dump after return from D3 after cmd

Event ID = 7021, Source = Netwtw08, Type = Info - 7021 - Connection telemetry fields and analysis usage

Event ID = 6062, Source = Netwtw08, Type = Warning - 6062 - Lso was triggered

Event ID = 1, Source = rt640x64, Type = Warning - Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller is disconnected from network.

Event ID = 5002, Source = Netwtw08, Type = Error - Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

I'm a little concerned that there might actually be a hardware fault with the WiFi card itself, which would be a bit annoying as it's a brand new laptop. I'm not sure whether I should return it to Dell, but could potentially face the same issue with a replacement if it's not a hardware fault. It also seems unlikely to be a hardware issue. as it's only an intermittent issue. Can you see any potential compatibility issues between this card/driver & laptop model, based on the SSU output I previously provided & attached to this thread?

One thing I did notice in regard to the OEM driver, is that it references version 20.70.0.8912 on the Dell download page, but when installing it from the downloaded installer, it installs version 20.70.0.5. Could this mean that there's a problem with the installer file downloaded from Dell (called 'Intel-9260-9560-9462-8265-8260-7265-3165-WiFi-Driver_5NDHH_WIN_20.70.0.8912_A03_03.exe'), which isn't installing the latest version, so I've yet to try the latest OEM version available?

I notice that it was last updated on 29th March 2019 (i.e. since I last tried installing the OEM driver), but I've re-downloaded today and it's sill installing 20.70.0.5 not 20.70.0.8912.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=5ndhh&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-15-7580-laptop

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Thank you for the update. Event Viewer may also show logs and system messages on properly functioning systems. You may see errors showing that a program failed to initialize, but it does not mean that your system is malfunctioning. Now, there should not be any compatibility issues between the Intel® Wireless adapter and your system. Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) make sure Intel® Wireless adapters are approved for use in a specific system and country. They also incorporate customizations and include features to the driver package to ensure functionality. Based on the information available at Dell's website, 20.70.0.8912 refers to the driver package for systems using these adapters: Intel 9260 9560 9462 8265 8260 7265 3165. Depending on the adapter, you may have a specific driver version for that adapter. You will also notice this if you go to this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28623/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=86068 Detailed description: The 20.120.1 package installs the Windows® 10 Wi-Fi drivers for the following Intel® Wireless Adapters: 20.120.1.1 for 9560/9260/9462/9461 (Only available in 64-bit version) 20.70.6.11 for 8265/8260 (Only available in 64-bit version) 19.51.18.11 for 7265(Rev. D)/3165/3168 18.33.15.11 for 7265(Rev. C)/7260/3160 The driver version 20.120.1.1 seems to be reliable since you have not experienced any connectivity issues recently. We recommend continue monitoring your wireless connection for a while. As you already mentioned, this does not seem to be a hardware problem. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Were you able to review the information provided? If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MLema5
Novice

Yes, thanks for the reply.

Although the latest generic driver does seem the most stable option currently available, I am still experiencing intermittent disconnections & fairly major errors:

Event ID = 5002, Source = Netwtw08, Type = Error - Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

I’d like Intel/Dell to investigate this issue further, to see if there’s any improvements they can make to an OEM or generic driver for my card/laptop combination. However, I’m unsure on how to pursue this & who with?

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, To continue troubleshooting this issue, we recommend testing another network and see if the behavior persists. You may also test other devices to determine if the cause of the issue is software or network related. If the recommendations provided above still does not help you fix this issue, feel free to provide the following information to investigate it further. *Problem details Problem description: Frequency of occurrence (once an hour, day, always): Computer power source (plugged in or battery): Steps to reproduce (provide links to forums, online help, screen shots): Attempted workaround (turn off settings, change power settings, etc.): Environment (office, school, hospital, factory, home): *Client computer details Computer manufacturer(s): Computer model(s): Windows OS (provide Version number if Win10, and 32- or 64-bit): WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.): WiFi adapter model(s): WiFi device driver version: Number of systems affected: *Wireless security method Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES): 802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP): Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST): *WiFi network environment Access Point manufacturer, model, & SW version: Wireless Frequencies in use (2.4 and/or 5 GHz): 802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)): Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz) for 2.4 GHz? Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz vs. 80MHz) for 5 GHz? SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast): *Screen shots depicting failure Note: Feel free to send this information via private message if needed. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Also, please attach an updated report. Intel® System Support Utility report 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Were you able to review the steps provided? If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MLema5
Novice

Hi. Apologies for the delay in replying.

It will be difficult for me to test this on a different WiFi network for a prolonged period of time. I can re-run the Intel® System Support Utility again if required & provide the latest output.

On Friday 26th, I received an email from Intel Customer Support advising that ID Number 04121341 had been assigned to this case. Does this mean that there is an official support issue for this problem, which Intel are investigating?

I also notice that a new generic driver appears to be available since the 9th April. Would you advise installing this?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28687/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=99445

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Thank you for the update. Regarding your question about the new wireless driver version for your Intel® Wireless Adapter, a few key issues and changes have been addressed in this driver release. You can review these changes in the following link below: Release Notes Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software 21.0.0 https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28687/eng/ReleaseNotes_WiFi_21.0.0.pdf For testing purposes, you can try installing the newest driver version for your adapter. For Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 Version: 21.0.0 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28687/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=99445 Attaching the Intel® System Support report is required if you have made changes to your computer configuration recently (e.g. drivers, operating system version, etc.) If the problem continues, and to investigate the issue reported on this thread, we recommend providing the information requested in a previous post: *Problem details Problem description: Frequency of occurrence (once an hour, day, always): Computer power source (plugged in or battery): Steps to reproduce (provide links to forums, online help, screen shots): Attempted workaround (turn off settings, change power settings, etc.): Environment (office, school, hospital, factory, home): *Client computer details Computer manufacturer(s): Computer model(s): Windows OS (provide Version number if Win10, and 32- or 64-bit): WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.): WiFi adapter model(s): WiFi device driver version: Number of systems affected: *Wireless security method Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES): 802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP): Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST): *WiFi network environment Access Point manufacturer, model, & SW version: Wireless Frequencies in use (2.4 and/or 5 GHz): 802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)): Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz) for 2.4 GHz? Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz vs. 80MHz) for 5 GHz? SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast): *Screenshots depicting failure Note: Feel free to send this information via private message if needed. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MLema5
Novice

Hi, I have performed a clean install of the latest generic driver (21.0.0.5) but still experienced a WiFi card failure after doing that. I have sent a private message answering your questions & provided screenshots of the driver version & event viewer errors experienced when this issue occurs.

I have not re-run the Intel System Support Utility - all details are the same other that firmware version for the WiFi card, which I have upgraded to the latest.

Please advise whether 04121341 is an official Intel support case # for this issue. I'd like to confirm whether or not this is known issue being tracked by Intel or whether I need to speak to Dell about replacing my new laptop/WiFi card.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, 04121341 is just tracking number as a result of your interaction on this Community. Thank you for providing the information requested. As soon as we have any update, we will post it here. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Could you please generate a Microsoft System Information report (msinfo32) and attach it, too. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello MLema5, Could you please generate a Microsoft System Information report (msinfo32) and attach it? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos