Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

WiFi device hard blocked after resuming from sleep

MillironX
Novice

I have a brand new HP Laptop Model 15t-dy100 with Intel WiFi 6 AX201NGW. I installed Fedora 32 (KDE spin) on it as the sole operating system (not dual-boot) upon arrival (it has never booted Windows). Whenever the computer wakes from sleep (either from inactivity, using the sleep command, or from closing/opening the lid), the WiFi device cannot be found. I have to restart the computer in order to be able to use WiFi again.

Running `rfkill list` before sleeping returns:

1: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no

while running `rfkill list` after waking from sleep returns:

1: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: yes

I understand that this is usually a hardware switch issue, but there is no hardware switch for WiFi on the body of the laptop. There is an "Airplane Mode" function key, but pressing it does not enable WiFi after waking from sleep.

To try to fix this, I downloaded the "iwlwifi-Qu-48.13675109.0.tgz" driver from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless.html, extracted the contents to `/lib/firmware`, and disabled Secure Boot. However even after restarting, WiFi still disables after waking from sleep.

Please advise on how to proceed to allow WiFi to function even after waking from sleep.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

MillironX, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

You mentioned that "it has never booted Windows" do you know why is that? Did you check directly with the manufacturer of the computer to verify if that might be a hardware failure?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MillironX
Novice
This is a brand new computer that I installed Fedora on voluntarily before setting up Windows. The issue has been present since I got the computer. The wireless card came installed in the computer. I've tried to contact the manufacturer, but their response was inconclusive.
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

MillironX, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps:

Step 1: Check whether the kernel version supports this device:

The reference table of Wireless adapters and corresponding kernel versions is available by the link: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi

The latest FWs are available by the following link:​ ​https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/

If the kernel version corresponds to the Wireless adapter, proceed with step 2.

Step 2: Check whether the Wireless adapter is connected correctly:

Type the following command to the terminal: # lspci​ 

Verify that the Intel network controller ​is identified, as on a picture below. If not, then the system doesn't identify the Intel networidentifyk adapter and you will need to make sure it's properly integrated. Customer may need to request help from the system manufacturer. If the wireless adapter is properly identified - proceed with the step 3.

Alberto_R_Intel_4-1598638502292.png

Step 3: Check whether this is an iwlwifi issue:

Type the following command to the terminal: # modinfo iwlwifi​ (example of the command output is on the picture below). If there is no output, then the module isn’t installed this is the distribution installation issue.

Alberto_R_Intel_7-1598638629058.png

Please type: # lsmod | grep iwlwifi​    

Alberto_R_Intel_13-1598638787944.png

If the result is empty, the driver hasn't been loaded. Most likely to be a distribution issue.

To verify, please type: # dmesg | grep iwlwifi​  

Alberto_R_Intel_16-1598638915749.png

If the result is empty, the driver wasn’t initialized and this is a distribution issue. If the result is populated as on the above picture, proceeed with the step 4.

Step 4: Check whether the suitable firmware is installed:

Please type: # dmesg | grep “no suitable firmware found!”​

Alberto_R_Intel_0-1598639696858.png

If the result is not empty, it means you don't have a suitable FW (api mentioned in the dmesg).

You can always visit here​ 

h​ttps://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi 

for supported FW, or here​ ​https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/ for the latest versions.

If these steps didn't reveal the issue or didn't solve the problem, proceed with the Step 5: 

Step 5: Collect the debug data:

Please type: # dmesg | grep ASSERT​ 

If the output is empty, please follow this wiki: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/debugging 

to extract dmesg and trace-cmd.

If the output has value, please collect from the wiki FW dump too.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
MillironX
Novice

I tried the troubleshooting steps, and here is what I found

Step 1: Check whether the kernel version supports this device:

The device (Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201) is listed as compatible with Linux kernel 5.2 (and above). I'm using 5.7.

Step 2: Check whether the Wireless adapter is connected correctly:

It is connected. The relevant line from `lspci` is

00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (201NGW) (rev 30)

Step 3: Check whether this is an iwlwifi issue:

The output of `modinfo iwlwifi` is

filename:       /lib/modules/5.7.16-200.fc32.x86_64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko.xz
license:        GPL
author:         Copyright(c) 2003- 2015 Intel Corporation <linuxwifi@intel.com>
description:    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi driver for Linux
firmware:       <REMOVED>
alias:          <REMOVED>
depends:        cfg80211
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
name:           iwlwifi
vermagic:       5.7.16-200.fc32.x86_64 SMP mod_unload 
sig_id:         PKCS#7
signer:         Fedora kernel signing key
sig_key:        6B:E0:46:FD:6A:EB:7F:63:6D:36:3E:E0:2D:F4:6A:BA:85:E9:C5:DF
sig_hashalgo:   sha256
signature:      <REMOVED>
parm:           debug:debug output mask (uint)
parm:           swcrypto:using crypto in software (default 0 [hardware]) (int)
parm:           11n_disable:disable 11n functionality, bitmap: 1: full, 2: disable agg TX, 4: disable agg RX, 8 enable agg TX (uint)
parm:           amsdu_size:amsdu size 0: 12K for multi Rx queue devices, 2K for AX210 devices, 4K for other devices 1:4K 2:8K 3:12K 4: 2K (default 0) (int)
parm:           fw_restart:restart firmware in case of error (default true) (bool)
parm:           antenna_coupling:specify antenna coupling in dB (default: 0 dB) (int)
parm:           nvm_file:NVM file name (charp)
parm:           uapsd_disable:disable U-APSD functionality bitmap 1: BSS 2: P2P Client (default: 3) (uint)
parm:           enable_ini:Enable debug INI TLV FW debug infrastructure (default: true (bool)
parm:           bt_coex_active:enable wifi/bt co-exist (default: enable) (bool)
parm:           led_mode:0=system default, 1=On(RF On)/Off(RF Off), 2=blinking, 3=Off (default: 0) (int)
parm:           power_save:enable WiFi power management (default: disable) (bool)
parm:           power_level:default power save level (range from 1 - 5, default: 1) (int)
parm:           fw_monitor:firmware monitor - to debug FW (default: false - needs lots of memory) (bool)
parm:           disable_11ac:Disable VHT capabilities (default: false) (bool)
parm:           remove_when_gone:Remove dev from PCIe bus if it is deemed inaccessible (default: false) (bool)
parm:           disable_11ax:Disable HE capabilities (default: false) (bool)

The output of `lsmod | grep iwlwifi` is

iwlwifi               327680  1 iwlmvm
cfg80211              864256  3 iwlmvm,iwlwifi,mac80211

and the output of `dmesg | grep iwlwifi` is

[    3.121327] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    3.124842] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: api flags index 2 larger than supported by driver
[    3.124850] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: TLV_FW_FSEQ_VERSION: FSEQ Version: 65.3.35.22
[    3.124853] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Found debug destination: EXTERNAL_DRAM
[    3.124854] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Found debug configuration: 0
[    3.125133] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: loaded firmware version 53.c31ac674.0 Qu-c0-hr-b0-53.ucode op_mode iwlmvm
[    3.125189] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwl-debug-yoyo.bin failed with error -2
[    3.348010] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Detected Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz, REV=0x338
[    3.520648] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: base HW address: 8c:c6:81:00:a8:07
[    3.541547] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3 wlo1: renamed from wlan0
[   23.078612] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: reporting RF_KILL (radio disabled)
[   23.080538] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: RF_KILL bit toggled to disable radio.

Step 4: Check whether the suitable firmware is installed:

No output from `dmesg | grep "no suitable firmware found!"

Step 5: Collect the debug data:

Attached is the dmesg output. `trace-cmd record -e iwlwifi` returns

trace-cmd: No such file or directory
  No events enabled with iwlwifi

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello MillironX, Thank you very much for providing the logs.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Arnstein
Beginner

Hello Intel experts,

I have a similar problem with Killer WiFi AX1650i product. Please inform me if I should open a separate thread for my issue.

Host computer is a recent model HP laptop with latest version of Kubuntu Linux. According to uname -a  the Linux kernel is

Linux hp-15-2020 5.4.0-45-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 26 13:38:52 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

According to lspci the Wifi hardware is

00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (201NGW) (rev 30)

My issue is the same as that of the OP: after suspend/sleep, WiFi is unavailable. rfkill indicates a hardware problem:

ID TYPE DEVICE     SOFT    HARD1  wlan ph70  unblocked blocked

I attach output from dmesg. The recovery from suspend starts at line 1058 of this file.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MillironX, I just received an update on this matter.

HW RFKILL is an interrupt from the HW that the driver gets, and then it enables rfkill.

This is not a Linux SW flow, but a HW interrupt we receive from the pci connection.

sharing here the code section:

/* HW RF KILL switch toggled */

if (inta_hw & MSIX_HW_INT_CAUSES_REG_RF_KILL)

iwl_pcie_handle_rfkill_irq(trans);

In this case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with HP for further assistance on this matter.

Arnstein, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
disnator
Beginner

I was also unable to activate WIFI after resuming PC from sleep.

Always getting "Hard block: yes"

Restoring BIOS to factory defaults finally resolved the problem. Not shore what particular BIOS setting thou.

HP Pavilion 15-n004ej
RT3290 Wireless - driver=rt2800pci driverversion=5.4.0-54-generic firmware=0.37
Linux Mint 19.3
5.4.0-54-generic

0 Kudos