Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7712 Discussions

WiFi issue waking desktop PC

Heicron
Beginner

Greetings

I have a problem with the WiFi waking my Windows desktop PC unexpectedly while it is in a sleep or hibernate state. I have checked “powercfg /lastwake” when this happens, and the Intel WiFi is the wake source. I have tried changing several settings and drivers to no avail.
I want to be able to have this PC in a hibernate state so I can wake it as needed from other client PCs on the home network. I have one wake timer set to wake it at a set time each morning.
This issue does not occur when the PC is connected by a wired ethernet connection, and it does not wake when WiFi is turned off.

Asus Prime B550M-A [WiFi], with AX200 chip, Windows 11 Pro, current version, Asus RT-AC86U router.

I contacted Asus and submitted requested info. They believe it’s a Windows/driver issue.
I installed a PCIe WiFi adapter with an AX210 chip. I had no wake issues with it but I could not
configure it for WOL.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Is there a known issue with this particular chip on an Asus board?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello Heicron,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

By any chance, have you tried unchecking the Fast Startup option on Windows? You can do that by following these steps:

1. Search Control Panel in Windows search bar.
  2. Go to Hardware and Sound.
  3. Click on Power Options.
  4. Go to Choose what the power buttons do.
  5. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
  6. Uncheck the Turn on fast startup option if enabled.
  7. Check if the issue persists.

In case you want to use just Ethernet instead of the wireless adapter to wake up your PC, you can uncheck the Allow this device to wake the computer option in Device Manager > Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 > Properties > Power Management.

As well, you can check Asus manual to configure Wake-On LAN in BIOS https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/Manual/PRIME_TUF_GAMING_B550_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Heicron
Beginner

Hello Steven,

I do have fast startup disabled. I have been using a WiFi extender at the location of this PC for lack of wired access, which is why I purchased this board to replace an older unit. The WiFi on the new board is much faster.The WOWLAN does work but it just keeps waking on its own about an hour apart. I have been working with Asus on this issue. I posted this to see if anyone else has had the same or similar issue. I am at the point of requesting an RMA from Asus unless someone has a solution.

Thank you for your interest reply.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

In order to work further on this issue, please download the Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Heicron
Beginner

Hello Steven,

The SSU file is attached. While I was trying to figure this out, I put the PC to sleep one night and turned the WiFi off at the router. That woke the PC. With the router WiFi still off I put the PC to sleep and it did not wake until I woke it the next morning. Asus support said that the router does not send out anything, it's only a bridge. I then reinstalled my previous, single 2.5 band router. With this router the wake occurred at a more frequent interval of about 10mn. With the Asus RT ac86U it was about an hour apart.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

We are going to work on this issue. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Heicron
Beginner

Thank you.

I have not had a response from Asus as what could be the problem.

Regards

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Heicron,

Please provide the following information:

• Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system, or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?
  • Have you tested with a different router if possible?

As well, please perform the following steps:

As a second option for testing purposes, you may try the generic drivers available in our Download Center https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Let me know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Heicron
Beginner

Hello Steven,

The WiFi adapter is the original onboard adapter.
I disabled the onboard adapter and installed a TPLink Archer TXE75E WiFi 6 adapter that has an Intel AX210 chip. With that installed I had no wakeup issue, but I could not configure WOWLan.
I still have my old router and installed that again and still had the wake issue. The router was a single 2.5 band. Asus had me do a factory reset of my current router, but the problem continued.

I updated the bios to 2803 but no change.
The WiFi driver I have been using is the current driver 22.150.0.
All the Asus drivers you mention in your last post have already been installed.
The only question I have with your last post is about the link:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html
I have an AMD Ryzen 5 5600G processor and onboard graphics. I am using the Asus vga driver from their download site.

I have an extra SSD so I will try another clean Windows 11 install with all the current drivers and advise on the results.

Thanks for the help, I will continue to persue with Asus.

Regards

0 Kudos
Heicron
Beginner

Hello,

I updated the bios to 2803 from 2604. Using a clean SSD I installed Windows 11 Pro. Initially installed only the chipset and WiFi drivers from Asus downloads, which are the same I had been using. After the initial install I did not run Widows update. I configured the WiFi for wake on magic packet and disabled pattern match and the issue remained. Ran Windows update with no change and then installed the Intel WiFi driver with no change.

I reinstalled the original SSD and will work with this until the issue is resolved.

Asus asked me to do the following:
1. Open one of the Ethernet adapters under device manager, click the Power Management tab and enable "Allow this device to wake the computer" checkbox 

1. Make sure to clear the "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" checkbox. 
  2. Sleep the computer 
  3. When the computer wakes, run "powercfg -lastwake" on your favorite command shell and note that it reports "Type: Fixed Feature, Power Button" 

The results were:

The last “powercfg last wake” command showed:
Wake Source Count - 1

Wake Source [0]

Type: Device

Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2723&SUBSYS_00848086&REV_1A\6&3174efa4&0&00400211

Friendly Name: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz

Description: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

I don’t know if it was typo “ethernet”or not but they have me doing things over and over. If I uncheck only wake on magic packet the issue is resolved but then I can’t wake it from other clients. So that is not the solution. The same thing applies using wired ethernet.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response, Heicron.

I will keep working on this issue based on the information provided. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Heicron
Beginner

Steven,

Thank you for your continuing interest of this issue.

After sending the above info to Asus they approved an RMA for the board. It will take some time though because they do not have that board in stock at this time, about 10-to 14 days. 

I will monitor this thread for any new info and post back when I get the new one up and running. Hopefully this is an issue with this board only and not the model itself.

Regards

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Heicron,

Based on the steps performed so far, we recommend a fresh Operating System installation. If the issue persists, after that, our best recommendation is to contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer for further assistance. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos