Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Wifi Authentication Issues with New Driver Ver. 22 for 9260NGW / AX200NGW

Rili
Novice
I recently upgraded my wifi module laptop from Realtek to Intel 9260NGW.

Couple of issues have popped up.

1. Latest drivers software is causing problems with connectivity. I am only able to connect to open wifi networks. WPA2 AES networks are not connecting at all while always asking for the wifi key in each connection attempt.

2. Maracast is not connecting at all with any driver ver. despite the dongle (2.4GHz) is gettijg detected . Getting a message "couldn't connect......"

I tmost probably assume this is an authentication issue.

Last working driver: 21.10 0.X
Laptop: HP 15-da0020tx
Processor: Core I5-8250U

I also tried connecting with AX200NGW module and faced the issues.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Rili
Novice
Windows Ver: 20H2 (Latest) upgraded from 2004 but Still the problem persists.

Similar Issue Forum Link:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-9260-Bluetooth-and-Driver-Issue/m-p/1191786#M29746

However, I don't have Bluetooth connectivity issues. Working alright last time I checked. Links with my phone and wireless earbuds.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Rili

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you did a wireless integration¹ in your laptop and you are having authentication issues with Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 and Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200.

In order to check this further, could you please confirm the following information?

1- Did you check with your laptop manufacturer (OEM) before installing those wireless cards to confirm full compatibility and proper installation? This is since after checking the HP* website for this HP Notebook - 15-da0020tx² we are not able to find drivers for Intel® wireless cards (only for Realtek*) and we are not aware of known issues with authentication on the latest Intel® generic drivers.

2- Just to make sure, are you using WPA2 Personal or WPA2 Enterprise?

3- Please confirm the full-exact number of the last working driver "21.10 0.X". Also, did you get this driver from Intel, Windows® Update or from HP* (or using HP* driver tools like "HP Support Assistant*")?

4- Is there any error message? Or is there an error code in Device Manager?

5- Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

6- Please provide the brand and model of the different Routers/Access Points (AP) that you have tested so far.

7- Have you tried rebooting your access-point, router, modem?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Regarding the issue with Miracast* it is worth mentioning that Intel no longer provides support for this product and we kindly recommend addressing Miracast* questions to Microsoft® Support². For more details, please review this link: Using Miracast* with Windows 8.1* and Windows® 10

Best regards

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Notes:

¹ When the end-user of a system installs a wireless card on a system that did not come with it from the factory, this is what we call "Wireless Integration" and it may cause connection issues or software-hardware errors. Your laptop may not recognize properly new hardware when you install an Intel® Wireless Adapter for several reasons. This is why it is very important to contact the system manufacturer to determine if the Wireless adapter would be compatible with the laptop (e.g.: socket connector, BIOS, operating system, software/drivers, etc.) and if the upgrade is possible and recommended. 

For more information, please review the following links:

² Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Rili
Novice

1- Did you check with your laptop manufacturer (OEM) before installing those wireless cards to confirm full compatibility and proper installation? This is since after checking the HP* website for this HP Notebook - 15-da0020tx² we are not able to find drivers for Intel® wireless cards (only for Realtek*) and we are not aware of known issues with authentication on the latest Intel® generic drivers.

• I did not Check with HP. I did my own research. Hardware Requirements reasonably checked out.

• While waiting for a response from Intel Support, for testing purposes I installed Intel AC 3168NGW module from an I5-7200U powered HP 15-bs016tx (my wife’s laptop) to my HP 15-da. As a result, the 3168NGW is functioning just fine. No issues at all. Even the Miracast function is working fine.

Vice versa, I installed the 9260NGW on my older HP 15-bs with successful integration along with driver Ver. 21.110.1.1 and the newer Ver. 22.10.0.7 with both driver versions working smoothly.

2- Just to make sure, are you using WPA2 Personal or WPA2 Enterprise?

WPA2 Personal AES. However, when I disable the Wifi security Key/password and thereby making the same AP as an open access one, then I am able to successfully connect along with the internet access establishes*.

3- Please confirm the full-exact number of the last working driver "21.10 0.X". Also, did you get this driver from Intel, Windows® Update or from HP* (or using HP* driver tools like "HP Support Assistant*")?

21.10.1.2 is the working Driver, which is the Preloaded Windows Default driver. Windows self-installed this driver upon initial integration. Windows Update Service later upgraded the Driver to Ver. 21.110.1.1 and later the intel driver & support assistant updated it to Ver. 22.10.0.7

4- Is there any error message? Or is there an error code in Device Manager?

I cannot recall any such event. I just mention driver functioned normally.

5- Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

I did try with different AP/Networks all same results.  As I mentioned above* in question #2 When I disable Wifi Security and make it OPEN ACCESS in each network, then I am able to connect and access internet.

6- Please provide the brand and model of the different Routers/Access Points (AP) that you have tested so far.

TP Link TL-MR3420 Ver. 2, TP Link TL-WA850RE Ver. 2, TOZED ZLT P28 (provided by myISP) and Google WiFi Mesh*,

*Did not try to connect as an open network.

7- Have you tried rebooting your access-point, router, modem?

YES Several Times.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Rili

Thank you very much for all the information provided. We are currently checking this further.

Also, just to make sure since the files attached are referring only to 21.x drivers, and since you mentioned you tested with driver 22.10.0.7, have you already tested with driver version 22.20.0.6 which is the latest one available?

If not, could you please try a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers using Intel® Wireless Adapter Driver version 22.20.0?

Please let us know the outcome of the steps/test.

Since Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 worked fine on another computer using driver 22.10.0.7, this might not be a driver issue but a compatibility issue with the new HP* laptop since a newer driver worked on another computer (HP 15-bs).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Rili

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post.

Were you able to try the clean install process using driver 22.20.0.6?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Rili
Novice

Yes I Did. No Luck, Unfortunately. I tried with clean installation with Ver 21.110 as well. 

0 Kudos
Rili
Novice

Hello Andrew,

Please Disregard my earlier reply. I mixed up the driver versions.

I tied the clean installation with no luck for only for versions 22.10.0.7 and 21.110.... and not for 22.20.0.6

I exactly cannot recall, however, I think the Driver and Support assistant did download and install Ver. 22.20.0.6 initially since that didn't work I was rolling back from the newest to the oldest. 

as the 9260NGW is in my older laptop (HP 15-bs), I need a little bit more time to install the module back on my HP 15-da and try again. 

I have attached ssu file for 9260 running my older HP 15-bs.

Thanks for Investigating my problem. 

Best Regards,

Ril

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Rili

Thank you for your response and for the clarification.

No problem, please take your time and feel free to post back any detail or outcome regarding the clean install driver test on the laptop using driver 22.20.0.6

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Rili
Novice

Hello Andrew,

Ok! How do I word this? Made an accidental Discovery!

When I powered the laptop after re-integrating the 9260, my laptop (HP 15-da) connected to wifi right away. to my surprise, the driver ver was 21.110 which was not working earlier. Nevertheless, I did a clean installation of driver Ver. 22.20.0.6, and still my laptop is connecting. I was like WTF is going on here coz it clearly didn't work earlier, but now it is.

Lastly, I did a physical inspection of the module, this time around I have connected the antennae wire to slot #2 in the module. My laptop model has only one antennae wire, but my older HP has two. 

So, I switched back the antennae wire to slot #1, and my laptop never connected to any wifi while showing the exact same issues as before. 

One thing I observed was when the wire connected to sot #2 the signal strength and network speed (1 Mbps) is unstable and fluctuating. 

I would like to hear your opinion on this matter. I suppose, if I add an additional antennae cable, then would that fix the issue? and do you still think there is a hardware incompatibility?

Appreciate your assistance and I am looking forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Ril

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Rili

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Were you able to try the clean install process using driver 22.20.0.6?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Rili

Thank you very much for your response and for the details provided.

The outcome of the steps pointed out that this is not a driver issue but a wireless integration issue, hence the importance of checking with the computer manufacturer before any wireless integration.

Based on the pictures, the slot #2 on the wireless card is the "main" connector. The antenna connector functionality differs depending on the Intel® Wireless adapter. For the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260, both antenna connectors are used for Wi-Fi supporting 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. The difference is that one of the antennas is shared by both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radio. Antenna Connector Functionality is as follows:

• Antenna 1 (Aux): Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
  • Antenna 2 (main): Wi-Fi

These are 2x2 Wi-Fi adapters. This means both antennas need to be connected to achieve the optimal Wi-Fi performance.

Regarding "adding an additional antennae cable", even after adding a second cable, there is still the possibility for compatibility issues, thus, we recommend checking this directly with HP* support for proper assistance. This is since wireless antennas are generally provided by each OEM, as they will need to fit each computer's and may be subject to country-specific regulatory requirements, and replacing wireless antennas can be considered a wireless integration on its own. Intel® does not support wireless integrations and our recommendation is to check with your OEM for support on wireless integrations and replacement parts to ensure compliance with the regulatory requirements of your country.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Rili

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos