Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Wifi on Intel Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK not detected

DKapo
Beginner

Hi Intel folks,

I'm trying to bring up an Intel Skull Canyon (NUC6i7KYK1) using Ubuntu 16.10 (kernel 4.8+) and Arch Linux (kernel 4.9+). I have the latest BIOS installed (version 42). I've tried several combinations of kernel versions, distro versions and firmware dumps in /lib/firmware and none of them cause the Wireless to be detected. The wireless device is visible in the BIOS but is invisible when checking on lspci. Since this is a new unit, I have no idea whether the wireless is bricked or it works.

Here are the combinations of distros that I've tried:

1. Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) kernel 4.4+

2. Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety) kernel 4.8+

3. Ubuntu 17.01 (Zenial) kernel 4.x?

4. Arch Linux with kernel 4.9+

In all of these cases /lib/firmware contains the corresponding Wifi firmware for 8865 (checked against the latest versions on the site).

On boot, dmesg doesn't show anything relating to Wireless being loaded. lsmod indicates that iwlwifi isn't loaded. Manually loading iwlwifi with modprobe just prints 2 copyright lines to dmesg and no errors or warnings. lspci has no line with the intel wireless device being present.

I'm posting this message from a different PC, so I'm not attaching the logs right away (will update this thread with the logs). Before I do so though, has anyone had success running any version of Ubuntu or another distro with the Skull Canyon NUC? Can someone post their lspci configuration and their linux distro + kernel version that worked?

PS: I see that https://github.com/rm-hull/skull-canyon GitHub - rm-hull/skull-canyon: Notes on setting up Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) on Intel NUC6i7KYK had some luck but it isn't clear if wifi worked in that case.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello divyekapoor,

Welcome to the Intel® Support Community. We understand you are facing some issues getting WiFi to work in your NUC. Please keep in mind that Linux drivers are part of the upstream Linux* kernel and the Firmware usually ships with your distribution. Linux support is provided by the https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi Linux Community Page, or through the support channels of the distribution you use.

Checking the information for the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc6i7kyk-features-configurations.html Mini PC Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK, it uses the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 Soldered Down. Since this is a new system, and the adapter is properly detected and enabled in your BIOS, it may indicate an issue in the OS configuration. You can find support information for your configuration in the following document: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005511.html Linux* Support for Intel® Wireless Adapters.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
DKapo
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the pointers, however, this doesn't look like a Linux related issue. I installed Windows 10 and all the latest drivers from the Intel website. Everything except the Wifi card was detected. I see a device that says "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" which corresponds to some of the errors I was seeing on the Linux machines (there it was an mmc0 memory controller not detected). I downloaded and ran the System Support Utility and it too was unable to detect the Wifi card. I've attached the SSU files and a screenshot of Device Manager.

Can you please confirm that this is a hardware issue?

Thanks!

Divye

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Divye,

We reviewed the information you provided and these are our main findings and recommendations:

- When a USB Wireless driver is installed, it normally disables the onboard adapter at the OS level, since only one of these devices can operate at a time. It is advised to remove any application installed for the 3rd party adapter from the Windows* Programs, also, in Device Manager you should uninstall and delete the driver for this Wireless adapter. Make sure that the USB adapter is removed, and proceed to install https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26528/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=86068 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.30.0].

- Make sure that the Onboard Wireless Adapter is enabled in the BIOS of the NUC. The WLAN device can be disabled/enabled in the Advanced options, under Devices.

- We've had cases where installing a USB wireless adapter causes conflicts with our drivers making the Intel adapter dissapear and become unusable. In some cases, it may not be possible to recover from this condition and a clean installation of the Operating System may be necessary.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
DKapo
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

I returned the specific piece and brought back a new one. It was indeed a hardware issue. This new skull canyon (with the same set of drivers, running Windows off of the same M2 SSD) showed the Intel Wifi device in Device Manager. I just enabled it and was able to connect to Wifi as normal.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Divye

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Divye,

Thanks for the update, we are glad to know the replacement adapter is working and that your issue has been resolved. Feel free to let us know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos