Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Wireless AC7260 - No ac/n only a/b/g

CBlac5
Beginner

When I first got the Dell Laptop XPS 15 Touch (windows 8.1 - 64) I was able to log onto my AC/N network.

It stopped working on ac/n. I updated to the latest drivers here and it will still only log onto the a/b/g side of the router.

This is not a router problem since I can log onto AC/N with other computers.

In the advanced configuration for the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 under wireless mode it does not list the ac/n. It only shows a/b/g.

What is going on. How do I re-enable ac/n? Help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
RBara4
New Contributor I

INTEL: WE ARE ALL STUCK IN G MODE OUT HERE! PLZ FIX!!

I've got the exact same issue under Windows 8.1 on Gigabyte P35V2.

The model of laptop shouldnt matter though.

Its the driver itself.

0 Kudos
RBara4
New Contributor I

INTEL: WE ARE ALL STUCK IN G MODE OUT HERE! PLZ FIX!!

I've got the exact same issue under Windows 8.1 on Gigabyte P35V2.

The model of laptop shouldnt matter though.

Its the driver itself.

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Skubacb,

The Wireless N and ac capabilities are not set from the "Wireless mode" in the advanced properties, it is normal to see only 802.11a/b/g in this section. Try using the configuration from the advisory: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

Also, check if your PC is connecting to the correct SSID, and confirm that the wireless access point is properly configured for 802.11ac connections.

For further assistance, provide the following information:

Were there any changes made in the system recently?

Do you use the driver provided by the PC manufacturer, or is it the one from Intel?

Wireless driver (as shown in device manager), Intel® PROSet/Wireless software version, router model and firmware version.

RBara4
New Contributor I

This is pointed to in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\intel\WirelessAssistant\config:

C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\WiFiProviderConfigVISTA.xml

from there you get pointed to this xml file;

C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\WiFiProvider.xslt

Notice that N is not even listed as an adapter feature...

Adapter Features

• Antenna Diversity:
  • Beacon Interval:
  • Frag Threshold:
  • RTS Threshold:
  • Sweep Table:
  • AP Table:
  • Peer Table:
  • Radio State:
  • Preamble:
  • QOS:
  • Auto Exclude:
  • EoU:
  • CCXv1:
  • CCXv2:
  • CCXv3:
  • CCXv4:
  • Band802.11d:
  • Band802.11WME:
  • Band802.11h:
  • Band802.11e:
  • Band802.11hRadarDetection:
  • Band802.11TGk:
  • Band802.11TGj:
  • IBSSControl:
  • PowerMode:
  • AutoPSP:
  • PowerSource:
  • BSSTxPowerControl:
  • IBSSTxPowerControl:
  • WEP:
  • Band802.1X:
  • LEAP:
  • TKIP:
  • AES:
  • HWRadioSwitch:
  • HWWOWL:
  • Band802.11a:
  • Band802.11b:
  • Band802.11g:
0 Kudos
RBara4
New Contributor I

This is pointed to in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\intel\WirelessAssistant\config:

Adapter Features

• Antenna Diversity:
  • Beacon Interval:
  • Frag Threshold:
  • RTS Threshold:
  • Sweep Table:
  • AP Table:
  • Peer Table:
  • Radio State:
  • Preamble:
  • QOS:
  • Auto Exclude:
  • EoU:
  • CCXv1:
  • CCXv2:
  • CCXv3:
  • CCXv4:
  • Band802.11d:
  • Band802.11WME:
  • Band802.11h:
  • Band802.11e:
  • Band802.11TGk:
  • Band802.11TGj:
  • IBSSControl:
  • PowerMode:
  • AutoPSP:
  • PowerSource:
  • BSSTxPowerControl:
  • IBSSTxPowerControl:
  • WEP:
  • Band802.1X:
  • LEAP:
  • TKIP:
  • AES:
  • HWRadioSwitch:
  • HWWOWL:
  • Band802.11a:
  • Band802.11b:
  • Band802.11g:
0 Kudos
RBara4
New Contributor I
PropertyValue802.11n channel width for band 2.4Auto (not in 20 MHz only)802.11n channel width for band 5.2Auto (not in 20 MHz only)802.11n modeEnabledFat channel intolerantDisabledRoaming aggressivenessMedium (or less)Throughput enhancementDisabledTransmit powerHighestWireless mode802.11a/b/gHT modeVHT mode

Where the chart shows 802.11n mode --- that is missing!

All of the other Properties are there...

0 Kudos
RBara4
New Contributor I
PropertyValue802.11n channel width for band 2.4Auto (not in 20 MHz only)802.11n channel width for band 5.2Auto (not in 20 MHz only)802.11n modeEnabledFat channel intolerantDisabledRoaming aggressivenessMedium (or less)Throughput enhancementDisabledTransmit powerHighestWireless mode802.11a/b/gHT modeVHT mode

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Skubacb,

The Wireless N and ac capabilities are not set from the "Wireless mode" in the advanced properties, it is normal to see only 802.11a/b/g in this section. Try using the configuration from the advisory: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

Also, check if your PC is connecting to the correct SSID, and confirm that the wireless access point is properly configured for 802.11ac connections.

For further assistance, provide the following information:

Were there any changes made in the system recently?

Do you use the driver provided by the PC manufacturer, or is it the one from Intel?

Wireless driver (as shown in device manager), Intel® PROSet/Wireless software version, router model and firmware version.

RBara4
New Contributor I

Adapter Features

• Antenna Diversity:
  • Beacon Interval:
  • Frag Threshold:
  • RTS Threshold:
  • Sweep Table:
  • AP Table:
  • Peer Table:
  • Radio State:
  • Preamble:
  • QOS:
  • Auto Exclude:
  • EoU:
  • CCXv1:
  • CCXv2:
  • CCXv3:
  • CCXv4:
  • Band802.11d:
  • Band802.11WME:
  • Band802.11h:
  • Band802.11e:
  • Band802.11TGk:
  • Band802.11TGj:
  • IBSSControl:
  • PowerMode:
  • AutoPSP:
  • PowerSource:
  • BSSTxPowerControl:
  • IBSSTxPowerControl:
  • WEP:
  • Band802.1X:
  • LEAP:
  • TKIP:
  • AES:
  • HWRadioSwitch:
  • HWWOWL:
  • Band802.11a:
  • Band802.11b:
  • Band802.11g:
0 Kudos
RBara4
New Contributor I

Adapter Features

• Antenna Diversity:
  • Beacon Interval:
  • Frag Threshold:
  • RTS Threshold:
  • Sweep Table:
  • AP Table:
  • Peer Table:
  • Radio State:
  • Preamble:
  • QOS:
  • Auto Exclude:
  • EoU:
  • CCXv1:
  • CCXv2:
  • CCXv3:
  • CCXv4:
  • Band802.11d:
  • Band802.11WME:
  • Band802.11h:
  • Band802.11e:
  • Band802.11TGk:
  • Band802.11TGj:
  • IBSSControl:
  • PowerMode:
  • AutoPSP:
  • PowerSource:
  • BSSTxPowerControl:
  • IBSSTxPowerControl:
  • WEP:
  • Band802.1X:
  • LEAP:
  • TKIP:
  • AES:
  • HWRadioSwitch:
  • HWWOWL:
  • Band802.11a:
  • Band802.11b:
  • Band802.11g:
0 Kudos
RBara4
New Contributor I

0 Kudos
RBara4
New Contributor I

0 Kudos
RBara4
New Contributor I

Ok. I've wasted enough time on this.

I have tried absolutely every conceivable workaround I can think of to resolve this issue and I am left with only one conclusion:

The drivers are buggy as hell and there isn't a danged thing the consumer can do about it.

What gets me is that it USED to work fine. Now, I cant even connect on 5Ghz if VHT is set!

And, I get my best speeds available (a whole wopping 31mb/sec on 2Ghz with HT mode disabled!

Anyway, I sure hope that the driver developers can figure it all out and get a good driver out there...

In the meantime, I have to ask: What the hell good is a laptop without WiFi?

This issue is leaving a LOT of people in the lurch...

RBara4
New Contributor I

Ok. I've wasted enough time on this.

I have tried absolutely every conceivable workaround I can think of to resolve this issue and I am left with only one conclusion:

The drivers are buggy as hell and there isn't a danged thing the consumer can do about it.

What gets me is that it USED to work fine. Now, I cant even connect on 5Ghz if VHT is set!

And, I get my best speeds available (a whole wopping 31mb/sec on 2Ghz with HT mode disabled!

Anyway, I sure hope that the driver developers can figure it all out and get a good driver out there...

In the meantime, I have to ask: What the hell good is a laptop without WiFi?

This issue is leaving a LOT of people in the lurch...

RBara4
New Contributor I

Looks like we have another thread along similar lines; one which provides additional "evidence" that HT Mode appears to be hosing up the process...

I have invited the person that started that thread to come over here, read through what has been written and then chime in...

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

Since you mentioned that the connection used to work fine, you may try a clean install of the recommended driver version to discard any change or possible corruption in your system drivers.

- Contact the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support and obtain their drivers for your Wireless adapter and OS version.

* I am adding the link to download the generic driver fromhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center so you can use them as second option.

- Download and save https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24864/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1* version 17.16.0. File name: Wireless_17.16.0_e164.exe

- Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", *If it is installed.

- In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it, make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

- Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

- Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

Since you mentioned that the connection used to work fine, you may try a clean install of the recommended driver version to discard any change or possible corruption in your system drivers.

- Contact the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support and obtain their drivers for your Wireless adapter and OS version.

* I am adding the link to download the generic driver fromhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center so you can use them as second option.

- Download and save https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24864/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1* version 17.16.0. File name: Wireless_17.16.0_e164.exe

- Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", *If it is installed.

- In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it, make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

- Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

- Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
RBara4
New Contributor I

Looks like we have another thread along similar lines; one which provides additional "evidence" that HT Mode appears to be hosing up the process...

I have invited the person that started that thread to come over here, read through what has been written and then chime in...

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

0 Kudos