Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Wireless Dual-Band AC 7260 Bluetooth issues with Windows 10 2004

Cram_89
Novice

Hello,

since the update from Windows 10 1909 to 2004 i have the problem that the bluetooth fails sporadically (sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes only after 1 hour, sometimes 3 times behind each other within 5 minutes). My guess is that there are problems with the interaction of driver, BLE and Windows 10 2004. When I go back to 1909, everything works fine again. I have tried it again with every new Windows Build version (19041.XXX). Always without success. Currently I'm using the version Build 19041.508. Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to go back to 1909 anymore because the update was more than 7 days ago and Windows 10 doesn't offer this option anymore.

I use the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (HMC) in two notebooks. This was an upgrade part, which was installed by me years ago.

With Windows 10 1909 you could still set the power options of the Bluetooth adapter in the device manager. You had to disable (uncheck) "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under the Power Management tab. After that you could work with the Bluetooth adapter without any problems. This option is no longer available under Windows 10 2004 with this Bluetooth adapter.

Every time the Bluetooth connection is lost, the hidden Bluetooth icon in the taskbar will show up again. This happens with hidden symbols actually only when they are reconnected and fade out after a short time by itself. Additionally there are two entries in the event viewer (Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System):

Log Name: System               Source: BTHUSB                   Date: 2020/10/01 22:35:48

Event ID: 18                          Task Category: None          Level: Information               Keywords: Classic

Description:

Windows cannot store Bluetooth authentication codes (link keys) on the local adapter. Bluetooth keyboards might not work in the system BIOS during startup.

Event Xml:

http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

18           4             0              0x80000000000000          3773

System

00000800010000000000000012000540000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000E000000000000000

Log Name: System               Source: BTHUSB                   Date: 2020/10/01 22:35:48

Event ID: 34                          Task Category: None          Level: Warning                    Keywords: Classic

Description:

The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode. The minimum required supported state mask is 0x491f7fffff, got 0x1fffffff. Low Energy peripheral role functionality will not be available.

Event Xml:

http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

34           3             0              0x80000000000000          4101

System

0x2491f7fffff       0x1fffffff

00000000030028000000000022000580000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

These events always follow each other.

I already tried to disable the power management function "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for any device in the device manager (USB Hubs, Bluetooth Low Energy GATT compliant HID device, etc.), delete connection to old BT devices and start reconnection. Also tried other (older) drivers. All without success.

I have two notebooks from different manufacturers (ASUS and TERRA WORTMANN), using the Wireless Dual-Band AC 7260 adapter and the same problem. Both notebooks had no problems with Windows 10 1909 and the driver for WiFi (PROSet version = 21.10.1, driver version = 18.33.17.1) and Bluetooth (package version = 21.10.1, driver version = 20.100.5.1). Only with the update from Windows 10 to the current version 2004 (Build 19041.508) there are problems in operation.

For newer Intel Wireless Adapters there is an update 21.120.2, which fixes many problems (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/29849/eng/ReleaseNotes_WiFi_21.120.2.pdf). Unfortunately this driver cannot be used for the Intel Wireless 7260 Family adapters. Support for this product will end on December 30, 2020 and self-service support will begin on December 31, 2020 (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006507/network-and-i-o/wireless.html).

An old post from 2017 describes a similar bug from another user (https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/7260-ac-Bluetooth-regularly-disappears-Win10x64/td-p/601683) but without a solution.

Many other users have the same problem with the combination of Intel Wireless AC 7260 and Windows 10 2004 (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-ent-update-feature-2004-bluetooth/5da2bc9f-6147-4e32-a8b8-561ba4da4dea?page=5).

In the appendix you can find the system reports of the System Support Utility of both notebooks.

I hope that someone can help me.

0 Kudos
47 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Cram_89, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

When did you purchase the laptops, are they new?

Just to make sure, the wireless cards, you purchased them separately and you install them on both laptops, correct?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I found that my issues with wireless (at least those as a result of the 2004 upgrade) were addressed by doing a clean install of the Wireless and Bluetooth packages.

Here is proper process for performing a clean WLAN Install:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. For the Wireless-AC 7260 solution, here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28621 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28622
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features app, uninstall any instances of the Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  4. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  5. In Device Manager > Network Adapters, check for entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260. If none, go to Step 8.
  6. Right click on the entry for your Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and uninstall it., choosing to "Delete the driver software for this device".
  7. Go to Step 4.
  8. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  10. Install the Bluetooth driver package.
  11. Install the Wireless driver package.
  12. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  13. Enable Internet access.
  14. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

Cram_89
Novice

Hello Alberto_R_Intel1,

here my answers to your questions:

When did you purchase the laptops, are they new?

Not new. They are about 6 or 7 years old.

Just to make sure, the wireless cards, you purchased them separately and you install them on both laptops, correct?

Yes

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

At home and at work.

I have followed the steps of n_scott_pearson. Unfortunately without success. Nevertheless many thanks to n_scott_pearson for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
I did have some cut-and-paste booboos in the instructions - which I've corrected for completeness. I hope these didn't confuse you for long.
...S
0 Kudos
ozgurkerpic
Novice

İyi günler

intel ac 7260 bluetooth sürücülerini bulmam lazım yardımcı olursanız sevinirim. Teşekkürler.Ekran Alıntısı.PNGEkran Alıntısı1.PNGEkran Alıntısı2.PNG

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Cram_89, I just wanted to check if the problem with the Bluetooth connection still persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
zmlapq
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

This problem still exist and never has been resolved and this is related to ALL older Intel Bluetooth adapters.

I have a Bluetooth with the same family (Wireless N-7260 Bluetooth) and facing exactly the same issue.

It occurs on Windows 10 2004 and 20H2 (not yet officially released).

Before 2004 compilation (i.e. in 1909, 1903 etc) everything was fine. 

I followed many step (reinstalling older/the latest drivers), disabled Power Saving for Bluetooth devices in Device Manager but nothing help.

Looks like Microsoft has changed the Power Management for some devices in 2004 version.

What are the next steps?

Is Intel going to release some fix????

P.S There are many similar topics in the internet, however some vendors like Realtek, already released the fix.

0 Kudos
Cram_89
Novice

Hello Alberto_R_Intel1,

the problem with the Bluetooth connection still exists.

After what zmlapq wrote, other users have also encountered problems with the Intel Wireless 7260 Family adapters since Windows 10 version 2004.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Cram_89, zmlapq,, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to let you know, this problem is not related to the Intel® Wireless driver, it is actually related to compatibility between the system/computer to the Windows* version being used.

So, in this case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Microsoft to confirm that information, report this scenario and verify with them if they have a possible solution for this problem. 

You mentioned, "I don't have the possibility to go back to 1909 anymore because the update was more than 7 days ago and Windows 10 doesn't offer this option anymore" in that case we also recommend to check with Microsoft as well how to do a rollback to version 1909 to keep using that version for the proper functionality of the Wireless connection:

https://support.microsoft.com/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
zmlapq
Beginner

Dear Albert,

You are absolutely wrong here. Microsoft provides only the OS. Intel (as a vendor) is responsible for providing the support/drivers for the device(s) they manufacture(d).

Please provide us the steps, how to resolve the issue.

I've never heard that any customer can ask Microsoft for adding support for the specific devices.

0 Kudos
Cram_89
Novice

I agree with zmlapq at this point.
Intel is responsible for their devices and their drivers. Not Microsoft.
Intel has already released a new driver for new wireless adapters (see above in my first post), because the old driver version had problems with the new Windows 10 2004 (keyword: BSOD).
Therefore Intel knows that the old drivers have problems with the new Windows version and has to provide new drivers consequently. After all, the support of the Wireless Adapter Family will continue until the end of the year. This means that more than two months of development time are still available to provide a bug-free driver.
So please take care of it.
Best regards

0 Kudos
zmlapq
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Please take a look into out updates and note that there are many customers who are facing that issues.

You can find a large numbers of simiar threads in many forums over the internet. 

Is there any chance you could escalate this issue?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I agree that this is likely an issue related to compatibility with the Windows 10 2004 upgrade. Updates similar to those made for the active adapters are likely necessary.

I hate to say it, but, because the 7260 adapters are discontinued, it is unlikely that you will see any subsequent updates (unless security issue is identified).

Reality sucks,

...S

0 Kudos
Cram_89
Novice

The production was already stopped in October 2016 and the last driver was released in May 2019, which works well until Windows 10 1909.

If your statement is correct that no further driver updates will be delivered by Intel, even though support is officially stated until December 31st, 2020, then this is an impertinence.

There are still more than 10 weeks until the end of support and it should be possible to develop a working driver for Windows 10 >1909.

What is your statement about this, Albert?

zmlapq
Beginner

Hello Albert,

Could you please provide your input here?

What is the Intel official statement?

Please note that it refers for high number of devices, being still in use in many companies, houses. 

We would like Intel treat it as serious, especially in that COVID-19 situation.

0 Kudos
Cram_89
Novice

Today I installed and tested the Windows Update to 20H2 (Build 19042.572). Problem still exists.

0 Kudos
BigBill
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem with AC7260 and a BT Logitech mouse. Latest Intel driver 20.100.5.1 and Windows 10 ver 2004. Sometimes the mouse disconnects and reconnects after several seconds. Other times the Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) device stops responding and I have to disable then reenable the device.

As a workaround, I use DevManView which can generate a desktop shortcut to disable and reenable the device driver and use Media Key Script to create a keyboard shortcut. Wait several seconds and the mouse works again.

0 Kudos
Cram_89
Novice

Unfortunately your workaround only works if you use a USB keyboard. I have a mouse and keyboard which both work with Bluetooth (Micorosft Designer Bluetooth Desktop). So I cannot use your solution.

0 Kudos
zmlapq
Beginner

Hello Albert/Intel Team,

We are still waiting for your response and suggested solution.

Hope it will be provided soon.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Cram_89/ zmlapq, Thank you very much for sharing those results.

In that case, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos