Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless card stops working after hibernate with 17.1.0.0

AGros3
Novice

I just updated to 17.1.0.0 and found that now my wireless card no longer works after I resume from hibernation! I have a Dell XPS 15-9530 running Windows 8.1 Update x64 with an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260. In Device Manager, it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" (screenshot attached). In order to get the wireless card to work again, I need to go to Device Manager and disable then reenable the device. Can anyone help?

Edit: I also updated event viewer logs with more information at the time of the failure. The events that happened around 9:43:02pm are when I hibernated. The events that happened around 9:43:50pm are when I resumed from hibernation.

31 Replies
FSchw1
Beginner

I had the very same problem with a Dual-Band Wireless-AC 3160. Most of the time the WLAN adapter would not resume after sleep, or hibernation. The version of the MSI supplied driver is V17.0.5.8. I tried the Intel V17.1 which was even worse. The WLAN adapter was always unusable after sleep/hibernation with that one. Amazingly the following helped quite a lot: I disabled " Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", rebooted and then enabled it again. Since then I had no more problems. BTW, MSI "support" was abysmal and Intel support did not know about the problem.

0 Kudos
tstob
Novice

I have the same issue. if I set the laptop to never go to sleep, still have issues with the adapter not working. I have posted in 2 threads here and no help. I bought my business-class HP laptop for travel and the wireless adapter has been useless. I have tried every driver available, even newer ones listed on necacom.net etc. with no help. I am trying to find out if I can replace the adapter with something else, want to make sure that it's not whitelisted. as it is, I have to carry an USB wireless adapter and use that with the N7260 disabled.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

uncle.tim it seems your issue is different. Did you check if the system manufacturer provides a newer driver?

0 Kudos
tstob
Novice

I have this issue also. If I let it go to sleep the adapter will not work on resume, I have to reboot the machine. All. Around do buggy card. I have tried latest drivers from HP also, which are old.

0 Kudos
PM3
Beginner

Hi, Joe.

Even if there's a workaround, the card worked with the previous driver. So it must be something which was changed in recent versions regarding power.

Please make sure the devs get this bug fixed. Because currently it seems like nobody cares about this.

By the way, you are my vendor, Joe. I bought the wireless card on the Amazon. So you are my vendor and I'm expecting to get a working driver from you. Intel is usually very good at doing drivers. I hope that you don't want a risk of losing such reputation of being a reliable vendor.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RRose4
Beginner

I know I'm joining the discussion on the AC7260 late, and there is a lot of information in many discussions here about the problems, so if this is obvious or repetitive, I apologize. I was having similar issues after sleep/hibernate with massive slow downs, particularly on my home network (drop from around 50 Mbps to <1). I was also having periodic refusals to connect, as discussed by plenty of others in this forum.

They won't give me admin access on this work laptop (running Win7 64 bit), to my great frustration, so changing the adapter settings was not possible and the IT guy didn't really want to mess around with it. To my surprise, though, a really simple change had a huge impact: the wireless adapter settings in the advanced power options. I changed that from "Medium Power Saving" to "Maximum Performance" and immediately the problem disappeared. It's been 3 days with multiple suspend/hibernate events, and moves between wireless networks at home/work, and I have not had a single instance of the problem reoccurring. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays this way.

0 Kudos
RRose4
Beginner

Tonight I tested this further to see if the setting in "Power Options" was really the culprit. I found that it is, and the behavior is completely reproducible.

The procedure I used to test is simply to change the power setting, put the computer to sleep, wait a few seconds, wake it up, and run the speed test. I'm on battery the entire time, and never changed physical location (I'm about 8 feet from the wireless router).

At "Medium Power Savings" I get results like these every time. You note from the upload speed that the connection seems to recover briefly sometimes but often then drops again.

At "Maximum Performance" I get this. Consistently very speedy.

I'm a scientist, and I've repeated this enough times that I'm fully convinced that changing the power options can make this problem disappear. I hope it works for others.

0 Kudos
RLant
Beginner

Dell XPS 15 9530 with the AC7260. Same problem with 17.1.0 drivers. Sometimes it will wake up out of sleep and work correctly, but sometimes it won't connect on wake. Requires either a reboot, an Intel PROSet reset, or a adapter disable/enable to fix the problem. 17.0.3 worked pretty well for me.

0 Kudos
RLant
Beginner

I went back to 17.0.3 and it was still not working randomly after resume from sleep/hibernate. I went back further to 16.10 and now it seems to work - but I always find that eventually it proves me wrong so I'm crossing my fingers.

0 Kudos
JBeni3
Beginner

Lenovo ThinkPad W540 here, after updating the WiFi AC 7260 driver to 7.1.0.19, it stopped working after coming from sleep. 17.12.0.4 does on itself not solve the problem, but enabling "Allow the computer to turn off device to save power" does cause the adapter to work properly after coming from sleep.

The initial reason to update my driver, was because the connection is lost nearly every minute, making gaming a horror... I have yet to find out if this problem is solved, however the ping time to google.com has decreased with a factor 10, from 180ms to 17ms on average.

Now its time to find a better display driver, after coming out of sleep my laptop monitor is not recognised anymore....

0 Kudos
RMett
Beginner

I wrote an article on my website about a work around. http://www.1fixcomputermedic.com/tech_tips/sleep-mode-stops-network-adapter-from-working/ Saving Power is wasting your time. – Tech Tips with Computer Medic LLC

0 Kudos